We have a few questions about HTML5. Please help us!

Hi Everybody,

We’re going to create HTML5 template to upload into Envato market. There are some questions:

1. Our code is easy-to-manage, but source style files are in LESS. We have a gulp build system which provides compilation from LESS to CSS. Can we provide this system (with instructions of how to use it) along with standard HTML index and assets?

2. Where to pass validation? What is a certain resource or is it suitable for anyone? The code was written in webStorm with built-in HTML / CSS validation. Is it appropriate?

3. What is shortcodes’ list for HTML template?

4. From which versions of browsers do we need compatibility? Should our HTML5 template be compatible with InternetExplorer?

5. What’s with the back-end part? Should it be?

Thank you in advance for your time and attention.

Hi, I’ll try to answer:

1. Yes, many HTML files in Themeforest come with LESS / SASS files embedded. Just check some of admin panel templates like Boooya or just HTML template packages like Stack

2. The official W3 HTML validator: http://validator.w3.org They also have the CSS validation service - https://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

3. Think of it as a component, like Testimonial, Team member, Featured block, Call to action block, etc… So you basically provide the HTML / CSS markup for these components and call it a shortcode.

4. IE should be supported, the minimum is IE9 and up (my info on this might be outdated, IE9 might be removed from required list)

5. Whats your definition of backend? Some of HTML templates are packed with builders which do provide easier way of editing HTML although its still semi-dynamic.

1 Like

Hi, thank you very much for your detailed replies and sorry for the delay in responding. Your information is very useful for us.

We’ve already uploaded our HTML5 template and received soft reject. Here is the comment from our Envato Quality team reviewer:

Unfortunately, we were unable to approve your submission because your files were inaccurately represented as responsive and fails to implement the feature up to ThemeForest’s standards. Please take a moment to make sure that your design implements the feature well for mobile devices as well.

Could you please tell if you know where we can check ThemeForest’s standards for HTML5 and how to check quality for design implements for mobile devices?

Again, thank you!

Hi, the rejection explanation is quite clear in this case, you should test for mobile resolutions and make sure everything works correctly. If you are using a framework like Bootstrap, most of the dirty job is already done, you just need to make sure that your custom elements work / display nicely in mobile. As of submission requirements, there’s no such list that covers all - partly because new requirements are added constantly so it’s more of trial and error thing unfortunately, till you have your own list.
I have seen some efforts by the community to centralize these, but you’ll have to search the forum, I can’t remember what thread was that in unfortunately.

1 Like

@uiuxaesthetics is right there are no generic guidelines for HTML as most items should be unique and the rest is standard best practice fundamentals around typography, responsive nature, hierarchy and so on.

What’s the link for your demo?

1 Like

Hi, thank you kindly for your reply, useful information, and advice. :slight_smile:

Hi, thank you for your response. Here is the link for our demo - http://fit.darinx.com/public/index.html

Thanks

Hi Charlie,

I hope you are doing well. Can I ask you to provide me with more information about our HTML5 template? Please let me know if you can check the link for our demo - http://fit.darinx.com/public/index.html

I’d be really grateful for your help. I’m looking forward to your response.

Thank you in advance.

Generally, it’s pretty good.

• you may ned to find a few more features and options etc. to make it stand out in a very crowded one-page category. It’s not another agency site which is good but still a busy genre

• there’s room for improvement in your typography in certain areas esp trainers where the name titles and copy are very similar, contact details etc. maybe think about styling e.g. either colour or weight to make it stand out (don’t go over the top - just enough to avoid it blurring into one)

• maybe have nav items e.g. arrows or radio buttons on testimonials

• proper footer

• drop the trainer animation on mobile it really doesn’t work

• contact form field labels are cropped

• i’d try and differentiate classes and trainers section more

• the % and $ icons are too small in why choose us and can barely be seen on mobile

• maybe have a logo?

• the about content feels a bit lost in white space

Thank you very much for your detailed response. I appreciate your time and attention. We’ll perform all changes and upload the template again.

Again, thank you. Have a nice day! :slight_smile: