How Well Can You Hear Audio Quality?

Can you hear the difference btw 128, 320 & Uncompressed audio file ?
Take this quiz to find out. One hint: Turn your volume up.

=-= NPR Quiz =-=

3 Likes

I got 2 correct. In the other 4 examples I picked the 320kbps files. I blame that on the Audiojungle preview files…
Thanks for sharing, interesting to hear how good the mp3 files sounds.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! I like this kind of stuff :blush:
I got only 2 correct too! Surprisingly 128 kbps versions on this quiz sound pretty wide. Also recognizable high end I heard only in Mozart’s Piano concerto, other examples doesn’t contain a lot of high end to tell the difference between different bit rates.
Now a lot of artists release music, that was mastered primarily for itunes and low quality headphones, so it doesn’t contain “organic” low and high end. And this is close to tragedy.

2 Likes

4 correct, 2 messed 320k with Uncompressed

1 Like

I was good at not picking 128 kbps but found it much harder distinguishing between 328 Kbps and uncompressed audio. I think quality of recording, mixing and mastering is bigger factor in determining listening quality for most practical purposes.

2 Likes

3 correct here, this is very cool test - thank you!:slight_smile:

1 Like

4/6

But I would say that to me, there’s not much of a difference between uncompressed WAV and 320 kbps. I don’t think they picked very good tracks for their test. The main difference between 128 and 320 MP3 bitrates is that frequencies above 17.5 kHz or so get attenuated/destroyed, and you can sometimes hear some artifacts, so some songs with more high frequency information would have made for better test material.

2 Likes

4/6 Also messed the uncompressed with 320k. Agree with adam that some are hard to hear because of the choice of the songs. But that is the whole point of the test …

1 Like

5/6 , mistake in COLDPLAY‘Speed of Sound’ ( my choice 128k/bit :slight_smile: ) Thank you for Info!

1 Like

I am not sure that someone can here the real original quality on the test page. Indeed if you will compare original CD or SACD (which is better) with samples in test it will be very easy to distinguish MP3 and origin. You will need just good headphones or loudspeakers.