How to Render out alpha "Add'ed"(blend mode) lens flares?

I have made a transition using simple AE flares in a Black solid comp with “Add” blend mode. I need to render this footage with alpha channel. So that there are no background and I can use that transition with any footage in premiere. Now a mind bogling thing is if I delete a background then “Add’ed” lens flare black solid comp becomes black.

I hope you understand what I mean.

So anyone knows how to do it ?

Please, need it asap.

“optical flares” have that “Render mode: on transparent” option but with normal flares you can try render with black background (no alpha channel) and then use the resulting movie with “add” blend in other software.

or generate an alpha channel from that “black background” movie in some way (that I don’t know how to do it) but should be possible :slight_smile:

what I mean is to get a normal video first and then use that video to get one with alpha channel

Yeah I would render it out with black background. But the flares is not the actual thing I need, i need a complete transition with big title, and letters and more effects. Every layer is on mode Normal but the flares are the only one whitch is on mode Add… so now i have this problem which I can’t solve for a whole day already…

I cant prerender it, because it is in template which I am creating now. And I have to take care of this stuff before buyers start buying it :slight_smile:

You can’t have additive layers and normal layers together in the same prerender. It’s not possible. I think that’s what you’re talking about.

An alpha channel for your lens flare is more difficult. Since it’s not really an object, but something intangible which interacts additively with the stuff underneath it.

The reason I guess you’re wanting to render it with an alpha is for some NLE that doesn’t support additive or screen blending modes.

What you need to do is create a fake alpha from the flare’s luminance, then unpremultiply the lens flare by the faked alpha, then matte the unpremultiplied fill through the faked matte.

Google this… “lens flare in ae and premultiplication explained”

Be warned though that lens flares used with a normal blending mode never look much cop.

Already found a solution. Just use the Black solid comp with flares as matte for a white solid and choose Luma matte.

Yeah felt, you are right, it doesnt seem to be the same but with curves adjustment and glow it looks pretty good.

No it’s not for a different NLE its just for template :slight_smile:

But you are genius mate… did anyone tell you that? how come you know so much stuff :smiley:

cyzer said

Already found a solution. Just use the Black solid comp with flares as matte for a white solid and choose Luma matte.

Yeah felt, you are right, it doesnt seem to be the same but with curves adjustment and glow it looks pretty good.

But you are genius mate… did anyone tell you that? how come you know so much stuff :smiley:

Not a bad solution, but you lose the color. If it’s just for a VH template, render the flare out on black, bring in the pre-render and switch its blending mode to Add or Screen in the AE project, no?

felt_tips said
cyzer said

Not a bad solution, but you lose the color. If it’s just for a VH template, render the flare out on black, bring in the pre-render and switch its blending mode to Add or Screen in the AE project, no?

It is not the case. You see, I have created a transition and it has title and other effects on it. So basicly a client has to render it out with alpha and use it in any other application like premiere and so on. And it has to be without any use of blening modes (because there is title).

(SOLVED)

Also you can drag this preset on a black solid.It’s just another way…