Question about using Alpha Channel Videos in Adobe Premiere

Hello creative people! how are you all doing?? I’m been out for quite a while. Been traveling around and busy with some church and charity activities.

My question today is about using video with alpha channel videos in adobe Premiere. When editing a video, and I want to add something like this

do you have to go to edit the whole composition with adobe dinamic link to AE? or it can be done iin Premiere with blending modes if any?

As usually, thanks for your help! have an awesome day!

Hi Daniel,

I don’t use Premiere, but if the blend modes are anything like all other Adobe products, then it should be as follows…

If you want to keep the dark bits and lose the light bits (as in the example you showed) then use Multiply.

If you want to keep the light bits and lose the dark bits, then use Screen. (You can also use add and this adds the layers together - the effect is similar but more glowy)

If you have something that’s against a mid greyish background and you want to keep both light and dark bits, then you could try Hard Light or Pin Light.

I’d be surprised if Premiere couldn’t pick up an alpha channel, so if the image doesn’t have an alpha, you can make one in AE.

Method 1: Import footage into AE. Make a black layer, put your film damage footage above it. Set the matte channel of the black layer to luma inverted matte.

Method 2: Import your footage into AE. Apply an invert effect. (Channel -> Invert). Apply a Set Channels effect (Channel -> Set Channels) and set it as follows… Red to Source: Off, Green to Source: Off, Blue to Source: Off, Alpha to Source: Luminance.

Hey presto! One alpha channel. Infact, I use this luminance to alpha technique so often (method 2) that it must be my number 1 effect preset.

Hope that’s useful.

-f.

I am assuming it would work just like Final Cut. Just put it on a track about your video you want it to key over. And as long as there is an ALPHA it should just automatically key itself over your video.

B

Hey Daniel, alpha channel in Adobe Premiere works fine. I never had any problem with that. :slight_smile:

Thank you all guys! (Ben your info was helpful indeed) Love you all so much! I use Premiere…and Final Cut as well…but dunno is there is something better…I finally made it with the blending modes…

You guys are pro and I dont see you working with Premiere…what do you guys use?

On the rare occasions now that I do edits, I use Premiere. I know its not the most industry standard software, but its what I’m comfortable using. I feel when it comes to editing, its more about the ability of the editor and less about the software he/she uses. Especially when dealing with straight cuts.

On the rare occasions now that I do edits, I use Premiere. I know its not the most industry standard software, but its what I'm comfortable using. I feel when it comes to editing, its more about the ability of the editor and less about the software he/she uses. Especially when dealing with straight cuts.

Same situation as the Mark here. I like the agility and interaction with the AE…