How can I find out the isrc code of my track?

Hi there!
I decided to post my previews on soundcloud, and there they ask for an ISRC code.
Can someone help me how to find on AudioJungle out this code on my track?
Many thanks in advance!

Hi MurreyMoon, Audio Jungle doesn’t provide ISRCs. Is it a mandatory field? I’ve never been asked for them by Soundcloud before. You only need ISRCs in your recordings if you want to sell them for listening purposes or release them officially. Since Soundcloud is a free listening service, I don’t know why they would need you to provide them. That’s strange.

Here’s some info about obtaining ISRCs if you want to register your recordings with a recording rights PRO. It’s often free to do so.

ISRC stands for International Standard Recording Code and they are used to identify individual recordings for the purpose of calculating sales numbers and radio airplay etc. You imbed them into your digital recording and they can be helpful for your recording rights PRO to identify usage in order to help calculate royalties that you are owed from radio stations etc. The first five letters of your ISRC is usually assigned to you by your recording rights PRO. Where I am, in the UK that is PPL. I think the equivalent in Russia is VOIS (though someone else might be able to confirm that).
Once you get your five letters, you can then assign the ISRCs to your recordings yourself when you master your music. The format is AB-ABC-12-12345 (without the hyphens). AB is your country code / ABC is your unique code / 12 is the registration year / 12345 is whatever numbering strategy you wish to use for your individual tracks.

Music distribution services like Distrokid will also provide ISRCs when they distribute your music to streaming sites, but I’m not certain whether those are recognised outside of the platforms in which they operate. (Again, maybe someone else will know more about this, or it might be worth asking the question.) - Edit: Just sent DistroKid a quick email about it and they told me the codes that they create are valid everywhere.

4 Likes

Soundcloud pays royalties like any other streaming service, isrc/iswc is not mandatory but can be provided, but the number needs to be acquired from your PRO where the track has been registered to

1 Like

Many thanks, colleague, for such an exhaustive answer!
No, of course, this field is optional. It just seemed to me that I saw something like this on AudioJungle. I thought that these codes were immediately assigned to each track there.
Thank you again!

Hey, mate!
I am in the process of registering my AJ portfolio to ASCAP and we don’t get any ISRC codes in here, so how should I go about filling all the neccessary information when I register songs to my PRO?
I mean how are they going to know or track who used my song when they bought the song here and just used it on TV?
Thank you in advance for your help.

Largely, we are relying on the broadcaster to correctly fill the cue sheet with your information. To help as well as you can with this, you need to make sure that the customer can easily find your details both on your profile/item pages and, as @RedOctopus suggests in his brilliant Community Guide, put a PDF file in your items’ .zip file that contains all of your details.

Also, check out his PRO Guide. It is a great resource for folks getting started with PRO registration.

ASCAP also use Soundmouse, although I’m not sure to what extent. Definitely worth uploading and registering your tracks there though.

You can also register your recordings with Tunesat to help you track your music in broadcasts.

1 Like

Usually they fill cue sheets with author/artist name and work title. Yep, this makes a mess too often. If they are kind, they fill also an ISWC which is the best way to track our compositions.

Besides that, some services use automatic audio fingerprinting, which is bases on reporting ISWC and ISRC.

I would say that ISWC “generates” way bigger money, though I see that royalties “generated” by ISRC grow every year.

1 Like