Has envato review process become a hoax ? And what do authors do about it ?

I agree completely with that one. Was it the same reviewer?

If not then this is my point about consistency and again - trying to come up with a workable solution to it always being the same person checking things without the inevitable backlog

Yes same reviewer, in fact for one specific theme we had one reviewer the whole time, all 7 months now.

We’re preparing another upload, if it goes pretty much the same, i’ll contact support and ask for a different reviewer. I think 7 months is enough, in my 9 years here i never had this situation before, where one of our products is unable to be published for 7 months and more than 40 uploads.

This is kind of why we referenced you above - it’s impossible to comment on each individual case esp. as no one (us included) in these forums has full transparency on any individual review, however what you are describing there sounds like it’s grounds to query it at least

I also had the same problem that my theme was rejected in less than 15 minutes. I spent more time upload the theme. I think that this is not a bug, but an unwillingness to consider the theme.

Been there numerous times. The latest WP theme I tried to submit for sale was rejected and I’ve been told that the theme doesn’t meet “visual standards” and as such not allowed to be uploaded for review again. And if I try to upload it, my attempt will be considered as a violation of rules. Literally.
I don’t even bother uploading new items to TF.

I also wrote about subjectiveness of TF reviewers a while back. The freedom they are granted with is ridiculous. Is there anyone controlling their job? No. If there is, they wouldn’t behave like little Hitlers.

Just take a look at C.reative M.arket; authors have a full freedom. No one else but buyer/customer is judging your work there. If it’s crap you gonna have to refund people and lose customers.
For Christ’s sake, it’s in your best interest to sell something good! There are people who won’t like what you do and they are going to look for something else. But there are also people who love it - regardless what some smartass “reviewer” has got to say. They don’t speak in the name of the God but their own. And that’s what’s freaking wrong about.

4 Likes

it could be made progressively , and a time to adjust would be required for sure but after a while to try to have a look daily at everything accepted and rejected , a coherent guideline could go out of it , though we are all aware that people are human and that naturally enough, their experience , taste, expectations and so on differ greatly

euh no no that many people indeed but envato would have to accept that people spend a bit time working at nt only reviewing the items they are given actually but the whole set of things accepted and rejected , it would probably increase their work time or gains

this is not that difficult to understand for anyone who has been working in the business though there are pros and cons for envato to have people reviewing with a portfolio , depending on what u are considering

well there are some guys who are newbies for here who turn out to be accomplished professionals by the time they join … and there are also geniuses , sometimes, guys who are shark at what they do despite they started a short while ago, as there is something innate for them … u can also have some long-experienced guys in town who are far from killers and who produce very average things … u can find it all in this world lol

From my experience, they won’t do anything but some sweet words. They are like parrots. They only know there will be spaces, these and those. that is why if you buy a template, you will indirectly buy every template. I found a reviewer who had his last product approved in 2015 and all products were in codecanyon and he is still reviewing themeforest products when he actually doesn’t have design idea at all.This is how themeforest is going on with reviewing items. I wish they would know designs should be treated according to the exact subject, not according to the categories or spaces and such things.

1 Like

Someone raised a very valid point in the past about reviews (and other pain points)…

As none of us have sufficient proven insight into the numerous things that influence these decisions - why if there was a way to improve a process and subsequently improve the image of envato and have both authors (and therefore indirectly envato) earn more, would envato not have adopted it in the past decade?

2 Likes

sir can you help me my purchage code is lost so how can found and payed 2800 rupies for buying theme

Interesting subject matter on the review situation. I am new to Envato and submitting only music. For 2 - 3 months now I have been trying to get my head around the review system. Needless to say I can’t. I doesn’t make one bit of sense to me why I get soft rejections. over and over on things I have corrected several times. I have never encountered such a tedious review system before and I have been uploading music to many different platforms since 1997. I would suggest it’s time to re-evaluate their system. From what I can read here it doesn’t seem to be working for many.

1 Like

Maybe Themeforest should move to what CMP has done. Allow authors to put out what they want and Themeforest could develop a plugin and automation tests that the authors could run there new themes through. That would save them money on having a lot of reviewers and it would help the authors be more creative. I think the design is really in the eye of the beholder. Some design may not look that good to some of the reviewer here but may sale really well. Since they have so many designers and developers they could limit the number of new authors and put more control to what people put out into the authors hands. I think it would really energize the authors on the site and get Themeforest back to what it use to be.

I have the same problem: this account is a new partner, but I have another account in which I have accepted articles, I have uploaded a psd template more than 5 times, and they always reject it. They rejected me today. I went up and it took less than 15 minutes to reject it. in my other account I have 2 months without being able to have a new article because during the last months, all the items reject them

We uploaded one of our items that had 4 issues mentioned on last upload, and now again the guy somehow managed to find 9 issues again, this is a joke, they have the worst reviewer i have ever encountered, i will upload today again ,and contact support.

For 3 last uploads reviewer has been saying we are missing .pot file, the .pot file has been included from the first upload in includes/languages folder, either the reviewer is unexperienced or is too lazy to actually check?

1 Like

The reviewer tells you biggest issues first. Otherwise it could be a process that needs 2 months on a theme that maybe is gonna do 10 sales in 2 years.
I don’t like many things of the review process as its inconsistencies, but this of saying the biggest issues first is NOT a problem, is something good both for the reviewer and for the author.

It gives you the time to work on it a bit at a time.

Instead, what is totally bad, is that one time a reviewer tells you he wants something in a way, and then another review don’t like the fixes you did for the reviewer before and makes you revert it.

This is the real bs

yes but we had the .pot file located in the theme, from the first upload, he just didn’t noticed it or he was too lazy to check, so he just putted it in the rejection list for 3 times in the row until i actually said to him, “please man check that folder and that file”, after that upload he didn’t say nothing about it, cause he probably figured he was wrong.

Ohh yes that’s another issue too, one reviewer says one thing, you fix it, another reviewer asks for totally opposite thing, like wtf guys make up your mind.

Yes, happened a couple of times.
Also, I found out by trial and errors that the test environment they use is NOT a fresh WP install, as they use quite a set of plugins pre-installed, such as for instance the Kirki framework.
In fact they had problems with one of our themes because the Kirki class was seen as existing, but it was not OUR kirki, was their own installation, and was conflicting.

So there are issues caused by an un-standard wordpress setup.

They also refere to super outdated standards, which prevents authors from innovate UX and UI, as if you do something different from the average, it’s immediately rejected.

Special modern font scales, unique menu styles and effects, are all reasons of reject. You need to innovate, but you need to do a site that looks like any other already published. That’s a big shame for me as the market offer is frozen, and losing all what’s the new trends in design.

1 Like

LOL maybe because the interest of normal workers (even independent ones by the way) and multinational companies are diverging ! what else?! lol we may also dream of a world where all decision makers make no mistake at all when it comes to strategy despite their are failing to consult working people, but let me tell u that this world does not exist and all the people in the world can judge every day that it does not exist indeed …

for me what looks surprising is that an entity expecting us to swallow that our works are supposedly not good enough and expecting us to take it as a way to push ourselves forwards is not feeling the same when authors are expressing some concerns or complaints … this looks pretty illogical in my view

This is so true, that’s why we have so many lookalikes in the marketplace, partly cause all authors try to reproduce bestselling items, and partly because of the theme policy among the reviewer team. And yes some of the standards they demand is almost pathetic, my developer was going nuts when he saw some of the things they demand you to do, a half decent developer will tell you right away that it doesn’t make sense, they even demand things that WordPress suggest not to do at all, cause it’s a bad practice, yet here you have to do it.

P.S.
and don’t you dare questioning anything that reviewer says cause you’ll end up on soft rejection for 7+ months like we did.

We have faced the same issue many times due to their carelessness we have to face too many issues but at the end, the issue was at their end :slight_smile: