Difference between WordPress theme and HTML template!

WORDPRESS THEMES

Only Wordpress files are Themes WordPress files are called THEMES! These included the WordPress Content Management System!

How to find out if it’s a WordPress Theme?

In the sidebar of each item, right where the author icon is, there is a list bellow it! Check to see if the red circle area can be found in the item you are interested!

Screenshot Sample of WordPress Theme Item Sidebar

SITE TEMPLATES

HTML Sites are called TEMPLATES, and they DO NOT HAVE the WordPress Content Management System! They CANNOT be installed in a WordPress Site! They are edited using text editors!

How to find out if it’s a Site Template?

In the sidebar of each item, right where the author icon is, there is a list bellow it!
There is no Software version anywhere in this file! So there is nothing related to WordPress there!

Screenshot Sample of HTML Template Item Sidebar

:S

Finally someone points out the differences, good work Paul!

I’ve seen many authors that use the word “template” to describe a WordPress “theme”, and “theme” to describe a HTML “template”, sometimes this confuses the buyer. And I think we all had our fair share of buyers that want to install a “template” with WordPress :).

I coped with it before because people usually understand that they made a mistake. But lately, I’ve gotten some pretty “nice” e-mails from a buyer, and I told him politely what the difference was and that there is nothing I can do about it, and he rated my file 1 star… why?! I have no idea. The file went from 5 stars to 4 stars now!

Edit: I get at least 2 questions per week regarding why can’t I install this in WordPress? :expressionless:

Why you guys don’t put in the first line of the HTML “Template” documentation that “This can’t be installed as WordPress “Theme”” then.

laranz said

Why you guys don’t put in the first line of the HTML “Template” documentation that “This can’t be installed as WordPress “Theme”” then.

Well, the price should tell you it’s not WordPress in the first place. HTML Templates don’t cost as much as WordPress. So that should be the first indicator that it’s HTML! :slight_smile:

laranz: because often they even don’t read the included documentation, just upload the whole downloaded ZIP file in wordpress admin! :smiley: :crying:

ThemePrince said

laranz: because often they even don’t read the included documentation, just upload the whole downloaded ZIP file in wordpress admin! :smiley: :crying:

+1 and every other number on the planet.

LOL its funny that the majority of emails i received from people who bought my “Template” that they can’t install it into their WordPress account. Its sad that some people just don’t care about the item details and don’t even check the documentation.

Enabled said

Well, the price should tell you it’s not WordPress in the first place. HTML Templates don’t cost as much as WordPress. So that should be the first indicator that it’s HTML! :slight_smile:

Or at least you guys put that in item description, because we don’t expect all buyers are geeks :wink:

ThemePrince said

I Agree, lol… :D, and finally rated 1 star :reallyevil:

We should put in the item title: "Don’t buy this, it’s not for Wordpress!!!1"

65%: percent of buyers that think html templates are wp themes.

10%: buyers that do that with PSD templates.

17%: random percent number

That is good money for this template authors :stuck_out_tongue:

phpBB3 - Style > no child or subdivision

Drupal - Theme > Color Styles

Joomla - Template > Color Themes + content/item types + template overrides

WordPress - Theme > Colors/Styles + content templates

HTML - Site Templates

That’s about all terminology :smiley:

This really needs a BUMP! Does anyone read the forums?! :smiley:

Here is the last place where a buyer may search info about a file. :stuck_out_tongue:

Again, this needs a big BUMP! :slight_smile:

It could be argued that these buyers will just go ahead and buy the WP version. So technically you might get more money out of them than had they just bought the WP theme to begin with. Here’s why this is bad:

The buyer is pissed off. Sure we may have got more money from them if they ended up buying both versions. But pissed off customers are just bad for business on so many levels.

As an experienced buyer, all I ever care about is “Was I able to use your product in my project”. In these cases, the answer is an astounding “no”, and as a result, the HTML author is now at the mercy of a possible very poor rating.

Hello Folk’s,

This thread was a big help for me. I am new to everything involved in what I am trying to accomplish in the world of WP. These forums have helped so much but its easy to get excited about something and just act like a moron in a rush to make millions blogging about kitty cats and my kids.

I am really thankful for the comments sections for each designers art. It gave me a clue as to how they like to handle customers and where to direct questions. In my line of work, as I am now certain with yours, its the lurkers and the small accounts that suck up most of your time. Which is hard to avoid.

Since many people continue to pay zero attention to detail or instruction, it seems the only way to avoid their negative effect on a developer/designers image and wallet, is to have certain requirements to post a review. Or a warning/instructions page that must be clicked when beginning a new account. (Of course that is one more step that slows money coming in.)

Regardless, I thank you all for the free help round here.

Jason

WORDPRESS THEMES

Only Wordpress files are Themes WordPress files are called THEMES! These included the WordPress Content Management System!

How to find out if it’s a WordPress Theme?

In the sidebar of each item, right where the author icon is, there is a list bellow it! Check to see if the red circle area can be found in the item you are interested!

Screenshot Sample of WordPress Theme Item Sidebar

SITE TEMPLATES

HTML Sites are called TEMPLATES, and they DO NOT HAVE the WordPress Content Management System! They CANNOT be installed in a WordPress Site! They are edited using text editors!

How to find out if it’s a Site Template?

In the sidebar of each item, right where the author icon is, there is a list bellow it!
There is no Software version anywhere in this file! So there is nothing related to WordPress there!

Screenshot Sample of HTML Template Item Sidebar

Again, this thread NEEDS bumping!

Dear buyers! WordPress files start from 25$!!! Everything bellow that is a TEMPLATE and it does not work with WordPress!

ThemePrince said

+1 i am tired of telling people read this.