Author Driven Pricing on AudioJungle

I’d like to add that everyone simply should "follow the leaders’ in this market if and when ADP comes into play. Since we shifted to PRO allowed, I get a sense that many are nervous and thinking that staying NON PRO will give you a competitive advantage. Others have checked PRO but are not fully displaying their writer names and PUB co’s. Perhaps you did not have time to do it? Or you think you need to register the AJ titles first? The top 3 authors have displayed their PRO information on all tracks and I do not see that impacting their sales whatsoever so that should eliminate anyone’s fears of losing revenue. These folks have sold a combined 200,000 licenses on AJ. Most of us still sit well below 5000 to 7000 sold. We’re not even in the ballpark of what these authors have accomplished in the last 5 to 7 years. They (and a few others zooming up the charts) ultimately can control the direction of prices and hopefully they will be up. It would be a nightmare if Envato allowed prices to go below $19 for music through ADP simply because AJ already is the cheapest on the market from my perspective. My goodness we even sell 30’s and 60’s for $11 and $15 and those can fetch $50 to 2K in other markets. I hope they make the existing prices the minumim, and I also hope the top sellers bump up. I personally would follow their lead…It would be nice to see prices at $39.

Let’s keep in mind that most buyers here come from Europe and USA. These are countries that can afford to buy these licenses at higher prices and they will respect and learn about the nuances of PRO. People want to pay up when they have the budget. I recently had a customer reach out to explain he was creating 18 videos and he wrote to me asking which license to buy. I told him that I think he needs to buy 1 standard license for each video. He did just that, willingly, happily, and responded " no problem! The licenses on AJ are just so cheap! Us free-lancers need all the help we can get!" He WANTED to pay and wanted to pay more. I had a similar experience where 1 customer (an audio post and music production facility believe it or not) bought 15 -$308 licenses this year to make 15 different YOUTUBE commercials. I do not think they had to do that under the current licensing policy because it was not broadcasting on TV, they simply wanted to and felt that it was the right thing to do. That was what they told me at any rate. I was very grateful for that.

4 Likes

I’ve seen this so often:

A big Company A commisions a Production Company B to make an imagefilm, advertisement, etc. They have a budget of X. Company B produces the project, pays for filming, location, all the expenses at let’s say 1/3 or 1/2 of the amount X given by Company A. Now they need music… They head to Audiojungle and buy a standard license for 0,1-0,5 % of X. The rest goes into their pockets. Company A thinks Company B hired a composer.

It’s not every production firm, but many of them work like this. They don’t even pass on the PRO data. I’m glad I can raise my prices now.

6 Likes

Hi there Myke.

The problem is pre-production for the smaller guys.

When quoting a client and the budget is agreed upon before the project commences it means I cannot charge more for music.

Then I shoot and move into post and it’s the wild west, prices and other suppliers all over the place. Why I used Audiojungle for so incredibly long was purely for the fact that I could accurately quote.

Now however, I’m glad you are making more but I have to take that knock definitely not the client.

So it is not a great situation for me. What is does mean I will have to look at other options like Audio Network or moving back into the incredibly bloated world of main libraries like KPM/EMI etc and spending hours and hours on paperwork when all I want is an easy solution that moves through the project and onto the next one.

It’'s a lot more complicated than just raising prices.

1 Like

@Videopixels, would you be willing to share what you typically quote a corporate client for a music license on your cost estimates?

I just do not see authors setting their prices on this market here in audio jungle being that disruptive to your ability to quote music.

I’d think that you can assume that 99.9% of the time The License range is $20 - to $1000 depending on end usage: Web Only? or Broadcast?

2 Likes

If you’re doing projects where adding another 10 or 20 dollars to the price is going to be an issue, then you’re not charging enough, or they must be very small projects .

2 Likes

While posting, please keep in mind our Community Guidelines: https://forums.envato.com/tos

Please DON’T:
Talk about or link to piracy, warez, illegal activity of any kind, or competitor sites or items.

Thank you!

Hi just to emphasise again. The issue I have is not with the price increase I understand that.

It’s that the prices did not increase uniformly i.e. All the prices went up to one value, this would have kept things a lot simpler e.g. One piece of music was used in an edit, approval process 1 loves it but in the next approval process the client/agency hates it so new options must be chosen, in the past easy, I could have 3 or 4 choices in a matter of minutes, now I have to find good music that still fits within the budget which takes a lot more time.

In my opinion it was a negative change on the site, yes charge more but keep the prices the same.

@videopixels You have the option to filter items by price. If you have quoted a music budget for say $30, put this as the upper limit in the filter. Then you won’t see items that are over budget in your search, so you won’t have to wade through a wild west of track prices. I’m sure you would be able to find something that will suit the project out of the 426403 tracks that are currently available in this price range.

Thanks so much, yes I understand, I can do the same on other sites too.

My point was just that I think Audio Jungle has lost one of its drawing cards. Don’t get me wrong I am still a fan but it has reminded me there are other options.

Thanks for all the feedback thou on this topic.

One thing that I did notice though is that the price filter only corresponds to the standard license. If you were searching for music for a broadcast 1 million plus license, you wouldn’t be able to do what I suggested. Perhaps Envato could incorporate the different license types into the filter section somehow, or better still, put a mandatory drop-down selection in the primary search field so that only the selected license prices are shown in the search results. This could also benefit us all by helping the customer choose the correct license for their project from the very start of their search, instead of at the point of selection.
I wonder how many customers are unaware of the inconspicuous little license selection box above the big green ‘Add to Cart’ button. It would be much better if the licence selection was mandatory.

2 Likes

Yes, thanks. I would also ask to make tracks searchable via their codes or item numbers. I’m always having to find the author and then manually find the song on their portfolio to purchase the clean version.

Also I’m not sure if creators understand that by putting an “audio jungle” watermark right at the top causes issues, you cut it out for an edit so you don’t start with it and then have to re-sync when you have the clean version. It’s great to just be able to drop tracks in from the top to the tail for easy syncing.

4 Likes