AudioJungle Sales Monitor 2

About four years ago, I would sell several tracks a day a few times a week. Every once in a while a week might pass without a sale, which would make me wonder what was wrong.

The number of authors has increased dramatically, along with the total number of uploads.

As far as picking up again, it depends on what your definition of normal is.

It has become more difficult to sell tracks consistently in the last few years. I think that’s a combination of increased competition here at AudioJungle, but also more competition from other websites that sell RF music.

1 Like

Of course Slumps are normal! Don’t listen to them, @RobertSlump! You’re just as normal as everyone else!!! Don’t let them bring you down…

2 Likes

Yeah, they’re normal. Expecting consistent sales without constantly releasing new content is unrealistic these days, unless you’ve struck gold with a top seller track. My first year (2015) was a constant battle to stay afloat. I had to upload 4-5 tracks per month to keep things steady. Then again things were different back then. Nowadays the increased competition and saturation means everyone has to work twice as hard to stand out.

3 Likes

Ah sounds like the golden days! I wish I joined a few years ago. tbh I’m after trying to make maybe $200 a week across several sites so I’m not after crazy money (although it would be nice :sweat_smile:). Just everywhere seems to be dead for me atm :frowning:

1 Like

Ah thanks for the reassurance!!! Yeah I’m gunna keep soldering on regardless… tbh I feel like music is the only thing I can do so almost got no choice haha… just wanted to double check though :slight_smile: Is Feb known for being slow?

2 Likes

Same here. Not sure what I’m going to do when AJ dries up, lol. I’m 21 and other than music I don’t have much else on my resume haha.

Not really. This is what’s leading me to think that Elements is finally starting to have a palpable effect on AJ. Before the re-design of the Popular Files page you were able to look back in time at previous years’ data. I know for a fact that sales across the board were significantly higher this time last year and the year before.

5 Likes

It’s still fun today. You just have to bring your A game to generate sales consistently. Work at making great, versatile music for its intended purpose (to support video), and market it & promote it as much as possible. It takes more effort to stand out these days.

2 Likes

Worst start to a month in a few years for me. Hoping it turns around!

1 Like

Wow! you’re only 21? Grats man what you’ve already done is impressive af!! :smiley: And ah I’m learning trailer music and game audio in the background of normal stock music as a sort of hedge if stock sites do dry up too much. Hopefully they got a year or so left though.

and :frowning: that’s a shame. I know even if I applied my portfolio almost deffo wouldn’t be accepted in its current state… glad I went non exclusive.

Not to completely derail the conversation, but I heard one of StockSounds songs on a Super Bowl commercial for Wix.com yesterday.

I’m sure it will. You’ve got a great portfolio.

4 Likes

I heard that too. Not sure whether to think it was cool or depressing. I think… probably depressing lol

WOW!!! man I hope they got PRO on that track, imagine missing the royalty payment on that!

1 Like

Thanks man, I appreciate it =)

1 Like

Thanks! :slight_smile:

That’s an awesome area to be working in. My personal dream is to eventually get into scoring games. Making music for AJ is great and I’m super grateful for the opportunities the site has brought me, but treating music as a science rather than an art form does begin to wear you down creatively. :sweat_smile:

I think Envato went with sheer sales as a determining factor for getting in to Elements for their first batch of authors. That said, I’m sure they’ll be out looking for new talent, so I imagine it won’t be long before you’ll join us. My best advice would be to bulk up your portfolio as much as you can, and if you’ve got a niche you can use to stand out from the crowd, make the most of it. (I know for a fact you have an affinity for EDM, so I would leverage that as much as possible :wink: )

A good AJ portfolio these days is, in my opinion, 50% music of a popular genre (corporate, cinematic, etc), 30% of your special niche, and 20% random niche genres.

3 Likes

Yeah game audio is very lucrative! At least once you’re in it haha. I’m dabbling with middleware making adaptive music on FMOD mainly and joined a few indie game groups, but tbh most indie rev share groups are just for experience because from what I’ve seen you rarely see any money from them. I’m sure you could leverage your AJ profile a decent amount to get contract work from the more serious indie devs though!

And ah tks man! :slight_smile: But yeah I deffo get what you mean about treating music as a science haha, already feel myself doing that. And I’ll deffo keep working on my EDM stuff though! :smiley: Thanks for the advice mate :slight_smile:

1 Like

The realization of your age is inspiring, motivating and depressing at the same time :joy: You won life man :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@RobertSlump Your music is amazing Rob !!! I changed my account from exclusive to non-exclusive. I have tracks with zero sales here, but they are doing very well elsewhere. All the best mate

3 Likes

After a reasonable start absolutely dead.

1 Like

same here