Are ThemeForest themes only good with a premium WP upgrade?

Hi there,

I recently purchased a themeforest wordpress theme…and in order to upload the new theme, wordpress is asking for me to upgrade to their premium which is over 300$!!. Can anyone confirm that this is standard practise? In all tutorials for uploading, no-one mentions that you have to be a premium member to upload themes, now I am stuck with a theme I can’t use unless I pay!! Gulp!

Thanks friends

As far as I know, you have never been able to use Themes from here on WordPress.com sites.

All you need is your own domain and hosting (can be very cheap) and you would be good to go.

One of the big hosts like Blue, HostGator or GoDaddy could be under $50

there’s probably even free routes but these will likely be weak setups

1 Like

Interesting since there are hundreds of themes sold in envato market specifically for wordpress. Now I am even more confused!

If you looking for consultation and later need help with your Website Development, you can hire me. I can assist you from understanding the basics of building a website from groundup. If interested, you can reach me through my profile contact form here

There are 2 “kinds” of WordPress:

1. WordPress.com takes care of all of the hosting for you. You don’t have to download software, pay for hosting, or manage a web server (but you’re limited with the themes and plugins that you can use)

2. With WordPress.org, you host your own blog or website. WordPress.org is where you’ll find the free WordPress software that you can download and install on your own web server (and use any theme or plugin you want).

Envato works only with the latter.

1 Like

As @SkatDesign said - WordPress.com and WordPress.org are not the same thing.

Thank you!! Much appreciated.

1 Like