WooCommerce: Video Purchasing & Streaming

Trying to create a WooCommerce site for video tutorials. People can purchase individual videos using the exiting “virtual downloadable” product feature of WooCommerce. Easy. But I also want to have an option where people can pay a subscription fee to get access to all of the videos in a streaming format. They still have to pay if they want to download a video. The subscription product just gives them unlimited streaming… NOT unlimited downloading.

Setting up a subscription product is easy with existing add-ons. And I’m sure it’s not that difficult to create a custom product page template that tests if a logged in user has a subscription or not. If they have a subscription the product page will have a video player (progressive download is fine… doesn’t have to be real streaming / RTMP). If they don’t have a subscription they just see a static image where the player would otherwise be. ALL users see the purchase buttons.

WooCommerce protects digital downloads with an htaccess rule (deny from all) and then uses a custom PHP function with various checks (order placed, users email, etc.) plus a token to force a download of the protected file. Great. The problem is how to do something similar when streaming in order to protect the videos from direct linking. I don’t want people to subscribe and then just “view source” and download all of our 600+ videos.

Anyone interested in quoting on this? Security doesn’t have to be bullet-proof. No need for an RTMP server or other security measures. And the video player MUST work on iPad BTW… so MP4 files not Flash. All I really care about is that users can’t simply “view source” and paste a direct link from the video embed tag into their browser window to steal all our videos. Just enough security to deter the casual thief. At least as secure as the normal WooCommerce downloads.

Sorry mordauk, but you know you shouldn’t link to a competing product in the forums.

WebSmacker said

Sorry mordauk, but you know you shouldn’t link to a competing product in the forums.

It has nothing to do with it being a competing product or not; it’s simply that I know it can be done with EDD and I know how to do so it is a very viable alternative. Nothing wrong with that at all.

There are scripts and gateways similar to EDD in the marketplace, so how does it not compete? Even if it is free, you aren’t supposed to link to free files. I’m sure the mods well agree.

WebSmacker said

There are scripts and gateways similar to EDD in the marketplace, so how does it not compete? Even if it is free, you aren’t supposed to link to free files. I’m sure the mods well agree.

Then WooCommerce competes as well.

mordauk said
WebSmacker said

Then WooCommerce competes as well.

Yes, but you don’t say that out loud

They aren’t in the forums posting links. Read the rules

I did a webiste a while a go using woocommerce and a membership plugin for user to pay to see videos… Kinda like ppv.

I could help you with that.

Contact me

Hi
Did you get this job done? I am in the market for similar solution.

Paul

Hello?

I need help with creating a site where users can watch videos online without downloading the file. The site is opened to everyone, but, in order for them to pay for the videos, I want to incorporate a pay-by-like or share functionality. However, these will be based on regular videos and premium videos. The premium videos will be accessible by premium members or will be paid for at a fixed price, while the regular videos can be accessed by anyone as long as they like or share. I need advice on what directions to go, I have looked at a few plugins but they don’t fit my needs. Please advice accordingly…

Thank you all for your anticipated responses.

Idowu