My name is Igor and I am owner of StylemixThemes. We are in Top-20 authors on Themeforest. Month ago I have uploaded for review a brand new education theme – Smarty School – and I still have not received your feedback. I contacted twice the Envato support and they said the review now can take up to 2 months. Before it was no longer than 2 weeks – that was ok.
I think this is absolutely unfair to authors, who build their business around Themeforest & other Envato marketplaces. For us it’s vital important to get the fastest response on the item reviews. We currently have 10 people in team, working on WordPress themes, updating, supporting, etc.
We don’t create multi-purpose WordPress themes – we only create micro-niche themes and we really enjoy creating micro-niche themes. The only bad side of micro-niche is the life time of the theme. If we don’t publish new theme, we reduce in sales. If we earn less, we can’t pay our team, can’t pay office rent on time, which is not good.
What I would like to suggest – it’s to provide privileges to Elite Authors in item review process and reduce the review time up to 1 week. I think the biggest amount of revenue generate only Elite & Power Elite Authors on Themeforest. I think it’s the same as in App Store, where only 5% of authors generate 90% of sales.
New authors on Themeforest should go through the normal process of review, because new authors don’t know all the requirements on code quality, design, etc. When we started on Themeforest in 2011 we also didn’t know much about the quality of themes, quality of design for Themeforest, many other small things.
If Envato will not solve the issue with the item review timing, it will get the following issues:
- Authors will upload very raw themes just to get soft-rejection. Because authors know that they have 4-8 weeks more to complete the theme and after soft-rejection, immediately upload the update.
- For Reviewers – it will mean more work & time to provide the feedback on raw themes. So the review timing will grow up like it does now.
- Elite & Power Elite Authors may look for other marketplaces to stabilize their business and income flow. They may co-operate or go their way to sell the WordPress themes directly like Themezilla (Orman Clark) does.
- Item support will become worse. Most new authors need time to build the right item support system – customer will be unhappy with Themeforest, and will probably lean to other marketplaces looking for better quality and response in support.
- Quality of new themes may become amateurish. Most of new themes created by new authors are not compatible with popular and necessary WordPress plugins like Slider Revolution, Gravity Forms, WPML. Even Visual Composer modules are not styled and designed the right way – the authors style only that modules which they use in demo.
I might be wrong, but this is what I think. The only solution I see here is to work closely with Elite Authors and Power Elite Authors – providing more attention and dedication.
I hope Envato or Themeforest management will read my note about the current situation with Item Review process.
Thanks for reading,