What is your preferred DAW?

Hi everyone :blush:

First when I started making music I did use FL Studio then switched to Cubase and then while keeping Cubase I started using Ableton Live as my preferred DAW. For now my go to DAWs are Ableton Live (which is very handy for sound design and fast changes to automations and envelopes) and Cubase (for recording and scores).

I invite you all to choose your preferred DAW via the strawpoll and say here in this thread why you like that specific DAW and what is it’s best feature in your opinion.

Ps. You can choose multiple DAWs as well.

http://www.strawpoll.me/12202809

2 Likes

Haha, cool idea, interestingly I found two little Max for live devices yesterday that takes some midi functionality from both cubase and logic & gives you some more modularity within Ableton, I couldn’t beleive my eyes :stuck_out_tongue: https://isotonikstudios.com/chaos-culture/midi-modulators/ & check out MultiClip editor.

1 Like

Nice! and thanks for sharing :wink:

1 Like

Yep, Ableton most of the time, maybe it’s a bit less functionality than Pro Tools (in some ways), but it’s just too handy, too easy to use! One love :smiley:

2 Likes

Ahah !! What I know is I hate ProTools !
Why:
-very bad user interface and functionnality
-very low compatibility
-aggressive marketing
-non open source philosophy (like apple)

Cubase & ableton live are very good and sustainable product in my opinion…

Peace :wink:

5 Likes

I’m a ProTools user, on a Mac I found Cubase to be ridiculously unpowerful, but I’m sure it’s good for PC users. ProTools in amazingly powerful in terms of plugins etc that can be run all at once, especially since I have all SSDs for everything I use. But I acknowledge PT has a few bugs, as all programs do.

1 Like

LogicPro and sometimes ProTools. However, I started with Steinberg 24 (became Cubase later) on an Atari. That was a rather ugly plastic box, but rock solid regarding MIDI back then :slight_smile:
For sure all DAW’s are good today, I’m just too lazy to learn how to operate all of them… :grin:

3 Likes

Logic and Pro Tools. I prefer Logic for music, but like Pro Tools when editing audio for video.

3 Likes

Studio One the best DAW :wink:

1 Like

Cubase + FL Studio Rewire is the one :wink:

1 Like

Cubase 8 right now. Upgrading to 9 soon. They finally implemented a fixed window at the bottom like in Ableton Live. Huge workflow improvement if you ask me.

2 Likes

I am very happy with Studio one!

1 Like

Oh… super question. :shaved_ice:
zynewave podium free :slight_smile: I advise you to look.

1 Like

Happy Studio One user. I did use Cubase and Ableton in the past but Studio One is the quickest to get right to work on a track for me :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Cubase! Latest version is a diamond!!
So quick to work with… Uses CPU so fantastic… Ultra fast offline bouncing. I use import of old settings/tracks (of other versions of a track) very often. Mixer undo function… Beat detection of live played tracks, changing the tempo very easy etc. People often tell me after a day of editing there sessions that they did the same in 7 days with some guy on Protools. Probably I’m fast after all these years, but it must be said it has a pretty damn good work flow, even with 100+ tracks.

I like ableton also… but the arrangement screen is small, automation etc is less clear. It’s all so mini… laptop style… Some great stock effects… Smack!

R

1 Like

Cubase all the way here. I made a mistake and went to Ableton Live early last year, even bought a Push 2, what a mistake. Lost 6 months of my life. Working in Live feels like I’m in Excel. Cubase has a nice defined interface and more midi features than anyone could ask for. The new interface is the icing on the cake.

I don’t understand how anyone could work in 2 or more DAW’s. Learning one thoroughly is a lot of work…

2 Likes

I have been a Cubase user for years. Then, I discovered Studio One a while ago and felt in love with it. The Workflow is outstanding in my oppinion. Also the one window philosophie is great. My main monitor is a 27", and there is no problem to work comfortable without a second screen.

1 Like

I will vote for Sonar, I like the interface best of all.
As a programmer, Protools is definitely the weirdest, most proprietary, and most finicky of the bunch.
Cubase is nice, but I hear they have ended support for 32-bit plugins with Cubase 9, which seems weird considering how many 32-bit only plugins exist from developers which no longer exist.
Reaper has many useful plugins.
To me, Logic has a clunky interface.
Abelton is good for supporting both VST and AU.
Was never much thrilled by FL.
Studio One seemed ok when I used it, but not a fan of having to pay to use 3rd party plugins (Protools has the same kind of deal with their free/cheaper versions).
Never really used Reason, but lack of support for VST and AU seems very limiting.
Never used Bitwig.

2 Likes

thanks for sharing your point of view over all those DAW.

Cubase for years now (works best for me)

1 Like