Software suggestions for a garage band newbie

Hey AJ community!

With a lockdown ongoing I’ve been thinking about doing some recording for fun. The last time I reordered any songs was with a tape and a four track…so I’m really behind the curve.

Any suggestions on PC software that is pretty easy to pick up and won’t break the bank? I’ll also need a bit of autotune or “studio magic” for any vocal notes that I “almost hit” :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Hey KingDog,

By PC do you mean a Windows machine? For free, I know there’s Cakewalk by Bandlab, which should be enough for casual recording. And if you’re willing to spend a few bucks, Reaper is the cheapest of the popular DAWs.

1 Like

Yes I need a Windows version :grin:

Hi @KingDog I don’t know how cheap it is for you, but in terms of ease of use, I would recommend FL Studio. Simple interface, fast and convenient work. Well, I’m just used to this DAW. I have a version" FL Studio Producer Edition" . It is enough for comfortable work (as for me).

3 Likes

I was just looking at that one :joy: I particularly like their pitch correction.

2 Likes

I would DEFINITELY start with Reaper if you don’t want to waste loads of money. Easy to use, TONS of community support, tips and tutorials, and though it doesn’t have built-in instruments like FL Studio, it’s insanely good for the price. Actually I bought Cubase 9 a few years ago and I’m milimiter away from moving everything to Reaper.

It does have a decent pitch correction plugin (if you don’t mind the looks), and you can always upgrade to the most popular standards if you want, like Antares (The Access version is quite affordable), Melodyne or Waves Tune.

3 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion! I’ll definitely check it out.

1 Like

If you suddenly choose FL Studio, then I know everything from A to Z there. Contact me, I will be glad to help! :blush:

1 Like

Can you make me sound like Bryan Adams? :joy:

2 Likes

And I would advise Ableton.

I have been working in Ableton for 12 years and admire its convenience.

3 Likes

Going to download the free trial and try it out.

1 Like

I hope you enjoy Ableton and this will be the beginning of a long journey!)

2 Likes

I’ve used nearly ever major DAW out there and in my experience nothing comes close to Ableton in terms of workflow and speed. I used to use Logic religiously but once I switched to Ableton my workflow got much faster. Everyone has their preferences of course, some people swear by FL Studio which I can’t make sense of at all… but for me Ableton was the one that really made music making seem effortless

4 Likes

If it turns out (or fails miserably) I’ll need to share :joy:

Great endorsement!

1 Like

Ableton Live 10 is a good and in my opinion the most convenient program for writing music.

@KingDog: You can use the official license for 90 days (Trial) by registering by mail.

https://www.ableton.com/en/trial/

1 Like

Downloading now :grin:

2 Likes

A lot of people here try to help, but… in my opinion. What do you need?
Are you planning to record real instruments or just have fun with a midi keyboard and kontakt libraries?

1 Like

I’m just planning on having a bit of fun recording. Guitars, vocals, midi from my electro drum kit.

Ok, One of the best for record and work with is Protools. A little bit complicated at the beginning.
I work with FL Studio, as many others told you they use.
My best advice right now, and a little bit drunk :wink: is
Focus on recording first, music is art, and comes from the heart, the rest is important but not relevant.
Do you need the best the bigger and the one with more options? or do you wanna be kind with yourself?

I started worst than you recording when i was a child, i havent that recorder, just one “play-cassette” and around one meter far away another “recording cassette”… I hope you could understand this.

PS; And i was happy those days, with those limitations, sometimes i miss those days, now it has become “too much” complicated".

PS2; I hope this can help, if you need more info, you can open a help ticket to Envato Staff, they will be happy to help you. :wink: :joy:

3 Likes