Share your screen(s)!

Hi all,

Was just wondering what monitors everyone uses for their music production, video production, web design, etc. What resolutions and sizes do you use?

I’m currently using a BenQ BL3200PT 32" 2560x1440 screen. But being the screen junkie I am, I feel like I’ve outgrown it and am looking for some more screen space (those DAW sessions can get real cluttered real quick!).

Let’s see what you’ve got!

Use 2 monitors for that extra space :slight_smile: I can’t work on one, I get claustrophobic. 2x AOC 27" G2770PF

Nice! I’m actually looking at a 43" 4k monitor right now:

Biggest monitor I’ve ever seen :smiley:

Nice! Two of those then :wink:

For sure :joy:

One lg 29 horizontal and one lg 24 vertical parallel in home studio. I don’t remember the models

When I read topic name I think it will be about sound monitos :blush:
My monitor LG 22EA53)
Whant to change it to something more relevant!)

P.S. My sound monitors are Yamaha HS 7 :grinning:

I have these

1. Dell 25" LED
    1 x Dell 27" LED

1 x DELL XPS L502x
1 x DELL Alienware 15" R2

Some Benq 22", I minimize the cr*p out of everything. I tried combining the 2, but just couldn’t get used to it. Maybe the next upgrade will be 27", that’s perfectly enough for me. :slight_smile:

My monitor is MacBook Pro Retina display 13" ))))) :joy:
But I want Imac Retina display 5k 27" )))

Great topic AurusAudio. I too am in the market for a video monitor upgrade. There are a lot of factors to figure out with this choice including making sure the computer graphics card will support it adequately, viewing resolution, viewing area, viewing proximity, monitor space on the desk, and on and on.

I currently run a dual screen setup between my laptop’s 17’’ display and a 24" (1920x1080) monitor. It’s been cumbersome and hard to view from where I sit; about 30-36" (eyeball to screen). I’m looking to replace the dual monitor with a single large screen.

I’ve been looking at the 34" UltraWide Curved Monitors but I’m starting to worry that I will want more height for better multi-track context in my DAW arrangement view. Perhaps the 4K monitors at, or greater than 40" is a good choice. I really would like to see my DAW layout on the screen from the distance I will be viewing it. Also would like to manipulate a couple VSTs on top of that just to understand impact to workflow. I guess I should utilize the store’s return policy and just start trying them out.

Hopefully a few folks in the community have looked into this and can share what they learned.

1 Like

I definitely think a 32"+ screen size is necessary to make the most of the 4K resolution, especially at greater viewing distances. There are many 32" 4K displays that look great, but for the price, I can’t resist the idea of getting one of these: http://www.philips.com.au/c-p/BDM4350UC_75/brilliance-4k-ultra-hd-lcd-display

In Australia they are averaging at around $1079 (AUD), which is simply a steal for this kind of screen. IPS panel, 3840x2160 resolution and a massive 43" display with good pixel density.

With such a huge screen size and the massive real estate provided by the 4K resolution, it eliminates the need for a dual-monitor setup. It also has a VESA mount so you can wall mount it for more flexibility.

1 Like

I use dell P2415Q 4k.

So I couldn’t help myself and recently bought the 43" monitor I was looking at earlier… What a beast!

I’ve only been using for a few hours now but it’s an incredible experience. Vivid colours, sharp details, a sturdy metal base, and loads of screen room, all on a big and beautiful screen. It dwarfs my older 32" monitor, yet still feels comfortable to use. I’ll have to post some photos of it soon.

Highly recommended! :thumbsup:

That’s great James. Sounds like a winner. You really got me thinking more about the 43" 4K monitors over the 34" Ultrawide models that I was looking at. I now think the positive vertical difference is key for DAW use. Thanks for opening my eyes. I look forward to seeing your setup when you post it. If you don’t mind, can you show it with a typical DAW view? That would be very helpful to see. Thanks! Mike

Mike, here’s a 4k screenshot I took from FL Studio 12. I’ll post a shot of my setup in a bit.

Each section is like using a 1080p monitor for just that area, which means less switching and more doing things all in the one screen!

I Have a White ASUS VC239H Ultra-low Blue Light Monitor - 23" FHD (1920x1080), IPS, Flicker free

Thank James. That’s a lot of information in one screen instance. A couple of questions for you relative to upgrading from 32" to 43"

• Have you kept the scale the same (viewing same DAW footprint but shown on the larger screen size) or
  • Have you shoved more DAW interface into the display via denser pixels (but making everything smaller relative to what you viewed on the 32") and
  • Have you moved the screen further away from you or kept it the same?

These are the kind of questions I try to get answers at the electronic store displays but they never have DAW type visuals that could help me assess the impact to my work environment. You are one of the early pioneers of the 43" 4K. Thanks for filling us in on the impacts!

The setup here is actually the same one that I used with my 32" monitor, but with a few key differences: my old monitor has a resolution of 2560x1440, meaning a lot less screen real estate (I had to use the piano roll in full screen as there wasn’t enough room to work comfortably off in the corner as shown in the screenshot). With a larger 3840x2160 resolution, I can work in every section as if it were full screen on a 1080p or 1440p screen which is great. The scale is exactly the same in FL Studio. What’s good about having a huge 4K display is that everything is still readable and not extremely small like on smaller 4K screens. The pixel density is only slightly higher than my old monitor.

It’s placed a little bit further away than my 32" monitor and is very immersive.

The only thing I’d be careful with is image retention, or in more serious cases, burn-in. If you leave the screen on with the same content for more than an hour or so you may get a very feint “ghost” image of what you were previously working on. In nearly all cases this is temporary and will disappear in a few minutes once the pixels are exercised with new content, but if you leave it for days on the same window, there’s a risk of permanent burn-in. Apparently image retention occurs on all LCD screens, but it seems to be more prominent on this massive panel (there is a warning upon turning on the screen). Nevertheless it seems to be OK as long as you don’t leave it too long / have a screensaver set up etc.

1 Like

Thank you. Very helpful info. Looks like I have some shopping to do :slight_smile: