I want to write a public suggestion to the Envato team to finally solve one big problem related to refunds and reviews.
I will try to describe typical situation that occurs in the third time between me and a customer. But I’m sure it happened in 1000-th time here on Envato
- A customer who purchased my item suddenly changes his mind and ask about refund.
- I ask him about the reason and realise, that the reason is not obliged me to give refund in accordance with the refund policy.
- I write about this to my customer as respectfully as possible and explain that I can only suggest him my support help to make the plugin to work.
- He declines my help suggestion and continues to require refund. Just because he decided to get a refund at any cost and he doesn’t want to hear nothing except that.
- I decline his refund request as it does not match to no one of the refund policy item.
- Customer writes 1 star review.
- I write support request to remove this review as it violates the rules and in fact it is not review, but attempt to forcing me to give refund.
- Envato support as usually is very busy with a big number of requests and my request wait for answer 5 days.
- All this time this “review” is visible for other potential customers and scares them away from buying a product. Some of them prefere to wait until this “review war” will be solved. Some decide to buy another product. As result I loose my money and Envato loses money because customer can buy on other market.
- Support team member deletes that review on 5-th day after my request.
The END of the episode.
But the problem remains and this story will repeat itself more than once if nothing will be changed.
Why we authors who work hard for months and years to get customers trust have situation when one of them decides to spoil it or to sow doubts about purity in our reputation can do it through reviews in 1 minute?
Why should an author suffer losses in sales for all 5 days until support gets to his request?
My suggestion is very simple - if customer created refund request he should not have ability to leave a review for the item. Even he left the review before, this review should be hidden and do not affect on the average rating for the time until refund request will be finally solved.
It’s a good that Envato removes customer’s review when he gets refund. It’s logical - if customer is not product’s user anymore he shouldn’t rate it.
But from the moment when customer creates a refund request he already decided to stop to be a product user! And the reviews system for him becomes an instument for pressure to reach his goal, but not a way to evaluate the quality of the product.
And we all understand what review could be if customer asked about refund. In 99% cases it will be 1 star review with words like “NEVER BUY THIS PRODUCT” that is not about user experience with product, but attempt to force to accept refund. So why customer still have ability to leave a review in this case?
I think nothing bad will not happen if such review will be hidden for this period and everyone will win in this case:
- Author and Envato will not be loosing money during these 5 days.
- A customer will calmly wait for the resolution of the dispute and if his arguments match to the refund rules he will receive his money back.
Does anybody know who from Envato team can accept this request and give us answer about their position of this problem?
I would be thankful for advice.