Quicktime - Animation codec is supported?

Hi guys,

the animation codec (with alpha channel) is supported by premiere pro cc and after effects cc? And is it a good format for our prerendered files in our templates? I have read a lot of articles and I cant find a straight answer. And if it is not supported, there is an alternative option for clips with alpha channel?

Hi.
I don´t know about CC versions of Premiere and After Effects. But I can tell you how animation codec works. It´s a codec that makes a quicktime file with no compression, so the file size you´re getting with this codec is big in comparison with h264 or png or jpg codecs. If you´re looking for a codec that keeps alpha channel info, I would use a Quicktime file with PNG codec for compression. This way, final result will be a really smaller file size with great quality and alpha channel.
Hope it helps.
Good Luck!

1 Like

Thanks! I had forgotten the Quicktime PNG :joy::joy:

1 Like

:+1:

I read in various forums that Adobe is no longer supporting the QuickTime PNG format.
I can import QuickTime PNG RGB+Alpha into Premiere Pro 2019, but I don’t see PNG codec when I try to export in QuickTime
QT

1 Like

I´m still a CS6 version fan haha! That´s why I don´t know much about CC versions codecs. Do you know what is the solution to compress a file with good quality, small size and alpha channel in CC, in case that png is not supported anymore as you said? Because animation codec gives me huge file size, which is not very practical.

1 Like

95% of my After Effects projects are made in SC4 :older_man:
I don’t know what the solution in this case. I guess only Quick Time Animation. But size will be the same big

1 Like

For my AE templates I used jpeg sequences with separate alpha channel (another black and white sequence).

1 Like

I find ProRes4444 a good option when it has to be a single video file with alpha channel. Huge color depth and reasonable filesizes. CC2019 introduced the option to export to ProRes even on windows.

If you are rendering a seperate alpha you can basically go with any codec you like.

2 Likes