Piano dynamics using midi / VST

This. Playing / sequencing at high velocities is the number 1 way to make a piano library sound harsh and plasticky, regardless of how good the sample library may be. If you’re lacking amplitude, instead of bumping up the velocity, try raising the track volume instead.

The Grandeur is a very bright and clean sounding piano, so it’s easy to run into problems with tone. Great sounding library, but if played at velocities too high it can easily sound thin and brittle. I often find myself backing off the tone knob and reducing the dynamic range (within the instrument) when using it. This usually gives it a more realistic, rounded sound.

Alicia’s Keys is probably better sounding out of the box, but when played well with the right settings The Grandeur should sound equally as good.

Also, as the others said, a nice weighted key-bed makes all the difference. If you’re looking for a budget MIDI controller and won’t be needing any modulation or pitch bend controls, consider some of the low end Casio digital pianos. They’re fantastic bang for your buck and offer some of the best playing experiences in their price range.

1 Like

Too true! For solo piano stuff, I usually don’t pass a 60 or 65.
Piano is really tricky to get right (realistic sounding) in terms of dynamics, timing, etc.

To get a super realistic piano part, you can’t beat playing it in ‘freely’ - I.e. Without editing afterwards. This would ensure maximum realism in terms of dynamics, ebb and flow etc, though I realize for some types of music its easier said than done.

Actally there are huge variety of good piano libraries… As for me, I like the Grandeur and Addictive Keys… And also your choice depends on the tasks… Some pianos are very good for solo and others are better sitting in the mix
Good luck :slight_smile:

if you using cubase, try NI The Grandeur Piano + Cubase MIDI MODIFIERS Velocity Shift with automation, paint Velocity Shift automation like a sine.