New FTP Credentials

We are moving towards a simpler process with authentication for FTP. Currently we use different authentication passwords for different FTP services, and we want to make management easier for authors by having one set of credentials for FTP.

We plan to make changes to ftp.marketplace.envato.com on the 15th May, 2019 at 10am AEST. During this change the FTP service will be down for one hour, and after this the passwords (API keys) that are currently used for ftp.marketplace.envato.com will become invalid.

So what do you need to do?
This change will affect any authors that upload via ftp.marketplace.envato.com. If you currently use ftp.author.envato.com to upload, then you won’t need to do anything differently.

If you’re an affected author, after the 15th May you will need to change the way you currently generate your FTP password (API key).

We have a post with updated details and help articles down below, which you can get to directly by clicking this link. A great first place to look is our FTP Troubleshooting guide.

3 Likes

What a misleading title I thought you talk about this https://build.envato.com/api/

1 Like

Sorry @BeSquares, have updated the title to better reflect the content :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well I am confused now.

Its not clear. on what you mean by

Is that mean there are different ftp auth for different Envato sites like (elements,market ) ? is that you mean?

I currently use marketplace because your Help section tells to do so - https://help.author.envato.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000518446

Is ftp.author.envato.com dedicated for some “special” authors, or what (because it’s not described in Help section at all)?

Did not understand a thing.

3 Likes

Yes, currently video authors for stock/motion graphics use a different uploader and a different FTP server. Most authors will use the ftp.marketplace.envato.com and so any author using this FTP will need to create new credentials.

Currently only authors that upload certain media types (video) use the ftp.author.envato.com FTP server. These are usually really large files and require special post processing (watermarking, previewing, thumbnails) and are handled in a different system. The majority of authors will be using ftp.marketplace.envato.com. In this case we are migrating the authentication to be the same for both groups of authors.

Simply on the 15th your current password that you use for ftp.marketplace.envato.com will no longer work. You will need to create a new password (API key). We will be updating the docs to reflect this on the day. Stay tuned to this forum for links on the day.

I also use API token in my licensing system to verify purchases. Will I need to re-generate this one too?

No, you can keep your existing one. It is a very good idea to generate another new API token with only the required privileges for FTP authentication (which we will show in the documentation once it is updated). You can have several API tokens.

1 Like

Now that the change has occurred, as mentioned above, you will need to change the way you currently generate your FTP password (API key).

You will need to use a token generated here https://build.envato.com/create-token/ and make sure you have the options checked to:

• view and search envato web sites, and;
  • view account username

For a clear overview of the process, please take a look at this help centre article, and if you have any issues with the FTP process, please see our troubleshooting article for help.

@jamesgiroux Is the FTP service back on? As I am having trouble uploading… was wondering if this is the reason.

1 Like

I get the same issue. I’ve created a token at https://build.envato.com/create-token/ but can’t access the host ftp.marketplace.envato.com.

2 Likes

Hi folks, I’ve just tested out the FTP server and was able to authenticate successfully. @NeuronFX, @CleverSoft: are you still experiencing problems? If so, can you provide further detail (error messages, screenshots, etc.)?

Feel free to raise a support ticket if you’d prefer.

1 Like

Yes, I still can’t access the FTP:

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message…
Command: USER cleversoft
Response: 331 User cleversoft OK. Password required
Command: PASS ********************************
Response: 530 Login authentication failed
Error: Critical error: Could not connect to server

Hi CleverSoft, the username is case sensitive, you will need to use CleverSoft.

2 Likes

Hi, the username is case sensitive, you will need to use NeuronFX.

Thanks. It works now.

1 Like

After uploaded all files to FTP, I go to my author dashboard and navigate to the upload page, but there is NO files listed here.

1 Like