My theme won't upload into wordpress

I purchased rttheme13 a couple of weeks ago and CANNOT get it to upload into wordpress. I keep getting a 404 error after about 20-45 minutes of waiting for the theme to install. I’ve called the hosting company, and tried from numerous places both commercial and residential from all types of lines: a T1, at T3, cable, dsl (at the host company’s suggestion I did this). Nothing is helping. Can anyone give advice?

1 Like

How are you uploading- via Wordpress or by FTP?

uploading by wordpress

Are you uploading the entire zip fie of the theme zip?

Try FTP, it should work. You have to unzip the folder and make sure that it’s only the theme folder that’s uploaded. Most (if not all) downloaded themes have the actual theme folder inside the zipped folder and many users mistakenly attempt to upload the original downloaded zipped folder via Wordpress and therefore get the error.

As was mentioned, make sure you upload only the theme file (see http://wiki.envato.com/buying/support-buying/solving-broken-theme-issues/ by the way). The theme file is generally far smaller than the entire download package (due to PSDs, etc). That extra size could be giving your connection trouble.

If not, FTP is definitely the way to go.

@cline123 Yes, I was trying the entire zipped folder. I unzipped it at first but wordpress says to upload a zipped folder. @redhenry, if that doesn’t work, I’ll try ftp…not sure where to upload it, but I’ll call my hosting company and find out if the first strategy doesn’t work.

I’ll try the theme folder now and let you both know what happens. Thanks!

Donnyale said

I unzipped it at first but wordpress says to upload a zipped folder.

After I unzip the main folder and find the theme folder, I just zip the theme folder and upload via Wordpress. If that fails I upload the unzipped version via FTP which works 100% of the time for me.

Thanks guys! So I zipped the theme files and uploaded in wp with no problem. But clearly you need more experience to make this work properly, no? I looked at the preview and none of the features work. Am I supposed to do more, or is one just supposed to have more experience to know where to go/what to do? I also would like to add my logo.

Any help you could provide would be appreciated!

Donnyale said

Thanks guys! So I zipped the theme files and uploaded in wp with no problem. But clearly you need more experience to make this work properly, no? I looked at the preview and none of the features work. Am I supposed to do more, or is one just supposed to have more experience to know where to go/what to do? I also would like to add my logo.

Any help you could provide would be appreciated!

read the documentation that comes with the theme it should tell you how to set everything up like the demo :slight_smile:

@organicbeemedia – thank you! Okay, doing that now. Sorry for being such a neophyte!

@organicbeemedia – thank you! Okay, doing that now. Sorry for being such a neophyte!

Thanks so much for this thread; this is the most help I’ve found! I’m struggling with the same issue. Once the folder is unzipped, how do you know which of the files are theme files and which aren’t? Also, how do you zip the files back up? (Sorry, I’m a neophyte as well and I’m trying to keep from having to use FTP as I have even less knowledge/understanding of that system than I have of this one.) Your guidance will be greatly appreciated.

jacqulynh said

Thanks so much for this thread; this is the most help I’ve found! I’m struggling with the same issue. Once the folder is unzipped, how do you know which of the files are theme files and which aren’t? Also, how do you zip the files back up? (Sorry, I’m a neophyte as well and I’m trying to keep from having to use FTP as I have even less knowledge/understanding of that system than I have of this one.) Your guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Find a folder that has the name of the theme. For example if you purchased my village theme you would zip up the village folder.

Dear Theme Forest Team,
Hello Everybody,

I had problems uploading the Zip-File of the theme “motion picture”. So I unzipped the original Zip I downloaded and found the folder “motion picture” (which I figured was the theme folder within the the entire package), zipped it and uploaded it. Wordpress actually did upload the theme but when I wanted to activate it I received the following note:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function wp_get_themes() in /mnt/webd/d0/17/52597417/htdocs/WordPress_01/wp-content/themes/motionpicture/ocmx/interface/welcome.php on line 5

Now I don’t have any idea what o do with this - is there any advice? I would truly appreciate any kind of help here.

Thank you & Best Wishes!

^ Hi janaheinlein, please follow the steps below, or watch the screencast here.</a

1. Download the final zip file from your downloads page.
  2. Unzip the final zip file; you should now have a final download folder.
  3. Do NOT upload the final download folder. Open up the final download folder.
  4. Browse the contents and find the actual theme folder. If you look inside the theme folder, you will see a “style.css” file. This is how you know you have found the theme folder.
  5. Using an FTP client, upload ONLY the theme folder to your “wp-content/themes” folder
  6. Login to your WordPress admin panel and activate the theme.

Please let us know if you succeed. Good luck.

Thank you very much! Despite the error note everything installed okay!

But I have the following problem - it seems that the home page 2-column widget doesn’t work correctly. On the home page all the videos in my “Documentaries” Category are listed in one column – not in two: http://janaheinlein.de/

Sorry, maybe it is a simple mistake on my side, but as there is only an option for 4 or two-columns I don’t know how to possibly fix this.

Thank you very much!

Dzinc said

^ Hi janaheinlein, please follow the steps below, or watch the screencast here.</a

1. Download the final zip file from your downloads page.
  2. Unzip the final zip file; you should now have a final download folder.
  3. Do NOT upload the final download folder. Open up the final download folder.
  4. Browse the contents and find the actual theme folder. If you look inside the theme folder, you will see a “style.css” file. This is how you know you have found the theme folder.
  5. Using an FTP client, upload ONLY the theme folder to your “wp-content/themes” folder
  6. Login to your WordPress admin panel and activate the theme.

Please let us know if you succeed. Good luck.

^ Hi again Jana, the appropriate support forum for the theme you’ve purchased can be found here.

Or, you can interact directly with the author here. The link takes you to the item’s Comments section, where you can also browse previous posts for additional information and/or theme specific troubleshooting.

Just leave the author a quick comment and he’ll gladly point you in the right direction. Good luck!

Hi I just bought a Themeforest template and Im trying to upload it into wordpress>tools>import>wordpress But since it was downloaded into my MAC as a file: arc-wp (and not as a .zip!!) I cannot select it all to get installed into my wp!! what am I doing wrong? thanks!!

UpToChina said

Hi I just bought a Themeforest template and Im trying to upload it into wordpress>tools>import>wordpress But since it was downloaded into my MAC as a file: arc-wp (and not as a .zip!!) I cannot select it all to get installed into my wp!! what am I doing wrong? thanks!!

Weird. Did you try manually renaming the file and add .zip extension to it?