Mac or PC?

Really nice reply. Lot of good things to think about. I’m still torn! The frequent amount of Mac updates does seem problematic. Thanks!

Frequent amount of Mac updates? Updates that impact Logic are not that frequent and nothing compared to the amount of security updates you will be applying under Windows.

Choice is yours but I would never consider going back to Windows after years of great experience with my Mac Pro. Worth every penny. And Logic has not crashed on me since I started running Logic X over a year ago and I use it almost every day.

1 Like

I use both. Used to only have mac, but recently built my own PC and switched to Presonus Studio 1 from Logic. I must say, I prefer windows in almost every way. This is of course personal, but I also find that with each new generation apple is moving away from pro work machines and more into boutique typwriters and facebook machines. The new macbooks especially, are not great computers for the price. I do think logic has a slight edge of presonus studio, but I like both almost equally.

1 Like

I guess I’ll give a closer look to all of the available Daws to see if it will be that valuable to switch to logic. I have heard it was really great for scoring, but maybe I will find this feature somewhere else. It would be in fact wait easier to stay on PC vs switch to Mac, since I’m already all set up on my desktop PC, I’ll need a convincing reason to switch.

I was a dedicated PC user of many years, had my mac for 1 week and wouldn’t trade it for a PC in a million years. Love love love it!

as for me i am a mac guy , this is easier to use and much more aesthetic too so more comfortable to work with, i also assume that all original components are great and that computers are already fit to work on video, music and so on

Have you considered building a hackintosh as a middle ground of a sort? With Apple I always get that feeling like you’re buying a reliable yet outdated hardware for a price of the latest and more advanced hardware…

If you techy guy then you need both :slight_smile:

I use both too but MAC is better in performance and Pc is better in applications and especially most of big to small companies use Microsoft office to Windows, Dedicated Server like Azure, Dynamics CRM, Sharepoint! name it all in windows or .net applications

2 Likes

100% PC = 100% Flexibility.

1 Like

Our 10 cents:)))
If you can afford Mac - then go for it. It’s stable and you have less problems with garbage from internet and all that stuff. Yes it will cost more, but computer gonna be heart of your system so why not invest for a stable and reliable fundament of your system. Besides that you can work either with ableton on mac like cubase, logic or Pro Tools. We had Pc for 5 year in the studio and then changed to mac and never ever regret that, actually it’s nr 1 upgrade we ever made. It’s our opinion.

1 Like

Keeping it short:

I use to go through computers yearly with the amount of work and time we spend on them.

I bought my first MacBook PRO about 3 years ago and fell in love. It was a bit tricky switching from Windows.

You find yourself so accustom to the Windows interface and options and Mac does everything backwards.

My MacBook PRO is still fully functional and works but since then, I’ve upgraded to a 27" iMac Retina with a custom build. You cannot go wrong with SSD and if you can afford it, it’s worth the upgrade (in both MacBook and iMac, or ANY machine in that matter - my personal opinion at least).

Mac is superior when it comes to functionality but also keep in mind there are limitations unlike PC.

Though in my 3-4 years using Mac, I’ve never met a hurdle I couldn’t overcome by changing my ways a little.

I recommend to anyone who asks, MAC, all the way if you can afford it!

I passed to Mac two years ago and I didn’t regret, it is less than failures and any problems with programs. It is necessary to get used to Logic, but in it there are all tools

Let’s not forget to mention it’s performance.

We run a few online businesses, one of them being a hosting company and anyone familiar with hosting clients, knows that speedy response times for support is important. On a PC it would take me anywhere from a minute to longer to boot up and get where I needed to be. My iMac, it already started and booted up before I know it. The convenience in a fast boot up is extremely important.

Performance in general, in my opinion, is superior.

Though each their own and know a lot who swear by PC, but I personally prefer Mac all the way!

Hey @HBPsounds don’t make the mistakes I made and spend money and hours trying to figure out what is better that the other… If your system works well and your DAW suits your needs DON’T change it. There is always something more to do with your DAW and you haven’t realize it yet (talking to myself!). I just remember reading somewhere that Moby recorded his first album (Play) in a G3 Macbook machine with 96MB of RAM!!! I’m sure he have done the same excellent work with a PC machine.

2 Likes

I agree, they both have their advantages and disadvantages, and they both mostly stem from the nature of the platform. PC is a more open platform with lots of 3rd party developers and a much large user base, but you pay for that openness with sometimes buggy 3rd-party drivers and virus makers targeting the PC. Mac is a more closed platform, and therefore more stable, but you pay for that by not having as much to choose from in terms of software and hardware, and sometimes it can be difficult to upgrade or modify a Mac. But inevitably it turns into PC is better, or Mac is better…they are just slightly different.

Unlike in days past, there really aren’t any hardware differences anymore. I mean for crying out loud, Mac’s use intel processors now, they use the same SSD drives, same ram, same everything you find in a PC. You can install Windows on a Mac and it will work the same as Windows on a PC, because the hardware is so similar these days. Physically, Macs are the same as PC’s now, it really boils down to what OS you like better and if you can get the software you want on that OS. The discussion really shouldn’t be Mac vs Pc anymore, because they are physically the same hardware, it should be OS X vs Windows (or Linux if you want to get crazy).

3 Likes

Great response!

One more point to add: If you are into computer hardware and like the idea of building your own system - then PC is the way to go. If you like tinkering and managing your own system, getting it to run optimally, protecting it from viruses, etc, then PC is better. The beauty of a mac, is you just buy it, plug it in, and it runs well and it’s easier to avoid viruses.

1 Like

Actually his album “Troubleshoot, debug, call support, crash, restart, re-install and then Play” recorded on a PC was supposed to be released first but was cancelled due to technical problems. :wink:

I use Mac, but I have to agree that what OS you prefer and what software you prefer should dictate what you use. Also with the new Macs, if you want to upgrade the computer yourself that get all the more difficult. I have used Logic since it was on PC so I don’t see myself switch to PC now. All the Macs I’ve had has been trouble free and great machines. Thats not always the case with a consumer, off the shelf PC, but if you build or get built a Pc for professional use I’m convinced it will be just as good as any Mac.

Wow everyone, your replies are all very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with us! Another question about MAC, are the regular upgrades causing compatibility issues to your softwares of plugins ? Or Is it better to keep the same OS once you’ve installed all of your stuff?