(Locked) Important Information Regarding Video Copilot's Element 3D

Hey everyone,

I just had a conversation with Andrew Kramer regarding the potential uses Element 3D could have inside of Stock Project Files that could be sold here. The plugin’s licensing is a bit of a mixed bag, as it does allow for authors to utilize Element 3D within project files, but there are some limitations that are slightly different from permitted uses of other plugins.

Proper Usage

Element 3D can be used within project files, so long as the models, materials, and other assets like environments, are all original works. Assets that are provided by Video Copilot within the plugin, or through their addon packs cannot be used, included, or distributed within project files sold here.

One super important note is that the Element 3D License Agreement states that project files that make use of Element 3D must do so in a way where the buyer of the project file needs to also own Element 3D in order to use the project. Basically saying, prerenders (as we know them) are not permitted. Which brings me to my next point.

Prohibited Usage

Referring back to the Element 3D License Agreement, please see number 3 - section A. This area specifically details that projects made with Element 3D must be made in a way where the buyer needs to also have Element 3D installed in order to modify the project. Even if you create completely original assets (models, materials or environments) the license prohibits authors from rendering out animations of those assets as prerenders, so that those assets can be used in project files, for authors who do not own a license of Element 3D.

What This Means for VideoHive

Well like I said earlier, it's a mixed bag. Authors will still be able to take advantage of this great new tool within their projects. But when they do so they must be aware that they're limiting their potential buyer base to people who actually own a copy of Element 3D. Since prerenders cannot be used or distributed, there's no real way of getting around this. While it may be disheartening for some, I do think the tool still has potential to raise the bar here in terms of quality and authors should still consider using it.

I’m planning a small change to the upload form that will list Element 3D and other common third-party plugins. So that you’ll be able to select the plugins that are required, rather than asking you guys to just type this information into your description. Since buyers will need to be aware of this before purchase, I’d like to try and make it standardized and as clear as possible.

Feel free to comment here with any questions you may have.

I actually have a project using Element 3D in the que now being held. It looks like I’ll need to alter a bit to use my own assets for the environment, custom shader and model. This should add value to the file or template I think Thoughts?

I think that’s probably a tad harsh (about the prerenders) - but it’s AK’s to licence, so that’s how it is.

Oh well. Back to C4D then. :slight_smile:

felt_tips said

I think that’s probably a tad harsh (about the prerenders) - but it’s AK’s to licence, so that’s how it is.

Oh well. Back to C4D then. :slight_smile:

+1
Is it a smart move from a marketing standpoint? Why would template authors need this tool now with this "prerender forbidden" rule? Going to have to stick to Cinema 4D, and just saved $149 ! sweet...

He want to force users to have a copy of the plug .
I hope Peder Norby and Jhon Knoll are not reading this :slight_smile:

Thank you Mark for contacting Andrew about using VC element 3D plugin in ae projects. Just like you promised few days before long expected 10th july :slight_smile:

It’s good to know everything just in time.

I’m sorry for maybe stupid question, but what if author use other 3d software and include that prerender with ae project? How reviewer or VC staff or anybody can know which software is used? It can be element 3D, but it also can be rendered in c4d, maya, 3ds max, blender with own 3d objects. I believe that sometimes will be very hard or impossible to guess how prerender is created, with or without elements 3D.

I like idea to select required plugins in upload form, maybe required plugin version too. And plus one more option if project require particular additional files, like for example VC sports pack.

Sorry for off topic but in same upload form I don’t like option for multiple selection of required ae version. If project is created in cs3, there is really no need to select cs4 and cs5 because cs3 is minimal software requirement, and of course project will works in all newer versions (expect minor “bugs” my buyers reported in cs3(4) - cs5 compatibility).

When I mentioned ae versions… please staff consider approving ae cs6 too, and in same form I would like to see option for using plugins in c4d projects.

Anyway, these rules about VC element 3D will not hamper me to buy the plugin and to use it in freelancer works. Maybe for VH too, why not? If buyer don’t have plugin, he can choose:

• forget about project
  • unhesitatingly buy project and plugin
  • buy project and ask author to customize it :slight_smile:

“If it’s rabbit Baby wants, rabbit Baby gets!” Well, so often buyers customize projects for their clients, and if they really like project they will buy it even if they need to spend more money than 10 times than project price, for plugins and other resources (stock photo/video/audio).

I just saw this in another thread:

MarkBrodhuber said

Hey guys, CS6 projects will be accepted shortly.

Just ignore that part in my post above. I can't edit post now, it's too late and edit option has dissapeared. Sorry for off topic, let's leave this thread opened for elements 3D.

Prerenders are not allowed… that is harsh :confused:

How can someone know if 3D work rendered in Element 3D and not other 3D program?

Mocarg said

Prerenders are not allowed… that is harsh :confused:

How can someone know if 3D work rendered in Element 3D and not other 3D program?

I was wondering the same thing… It kind of almost impossible.

Almost impossible is to render in Cinema a file that look identical to the one rendered in AE.
Authors can export the AE camera animation over C4D and redo the lighting, and prerender, but at this point why should I use Elements ?
Random thoughts…

It’s bad marketing idea.If i right understand, Even if I use the my own models, materials and environment, I have no right to do prerender fo VH Projects?

I think that Mr. Kramer is not quite aware of buying potential of vh. With these rules its pretty the same, use cinema or element. And how will anyone know if I used cinema or element when I prerender the files?

Great news for all real 3D artists. I work for a very big postproduction company and at the moment we see Element 3D just as a nice toy. This prerender limitation is a very bad idea! :slight_smile: maupa

maupa said

Great news for all real 3D artists. I work for a very big postproduction company and at the moment we see Element 3D just as a nice toy. This prerender limitation is a very bad idea! :slight_smile: maupa

+1

Element 3D not for serious projects. It’s good for home video desgners (who make wedding videos), for small budget projects or for quick sketches.

No pre-renders? :open_mouth:

That doesn’t make any sense. I really hope AK will change that agreement… Otherwise I don’t see it taking off on very soon on VH

EFEKT_Studio said

how will anyone know if I used cinema or element when I prerender the files?

+1 That’s the question !

EFEKT_Studio said

I think that Mr. Kramer is not quite aware of buying potential of vh. With these rules its pretty the same, use cinema or element. And how will anyone know if I used cinema or element when I prerender the files?

+1

http://www.zaxwerks.com/ what about this one…

I think from Videocopilot’s point of view the license agreement is very well though out.Minimize the possibility of people reaping the benefits of the plugin without owning it.

Just look how much “Optical Flares” the buyers are getting from here without owning the plugin or paying a dime to the creator of the plugin itself.

I’m guessing this is the reason for a new,more restrictive license.

Buyers always have Plugins or Effects…