Free (beginner) masterclass: How To Write Orchestral Music For Film

Hi all,
I’ve been working on a little orchestral composition lately and I was wondering if there is any interest in me making in depth walkthrough videos of it. Showing you how I made this track, how I did the panning, balancing, EQ-ing etc. Which libraries. How I mixed it and mastered it. And if you’re interested in getting the project files (midi mockup) so you can rebuild the music track in your own DAW for either further learning.

The music track is included in the video. Love to hear from you :slight_smile:

Greets,
David

9 Likes

Very nice inderdaad David! I dont do this genre right now, but i am sure plenty here will want to learn about orchestral music.

1 Like

Thanks Robert! You’re welcome too … altijd :slight_smile:

1 Like

The responses were overwhelming last week. A lot of people contacted me through social media and direct messages that they would be interested. So I decided to start this masterclass. Today the first video of many.

Fee free to join. In this first video you can pick up the project files and prepare yourself for the upcoming videos.

2 Likes

After a great start of the FREE masterclass ‘How to create a realistic orchestral mockup’, the responses last week were massive! Lots of people joined, downloaded the project files and follow me along during the upcoming weeks while we rebuild my original composition Show Opener.

Today I released a new weekly video of this masterclass (always on Thursday) and made a new project file available to download. We’re building up an orchestral template first.

If you haven’t joined yet, feel free to do. You’re welcome to participate!

Cya next week!

1 Like

The third video of the masterclass is live! In this one I talk about balancing your orchestral instruments. And you can download the updated project files.

If you have any questions or feedback, I would love to hear from you!
1 Like

Week 4 is live! This time I talk about EQ-ing (clean up orchestral instruments). And of course I share with you all my updated project file in which you can see my EQ settings. Next week I’ll cover delay to get a tight sounding orchestra.

2 Likes

Amazing. Thank you so much for such videos. :+1:
You can not imagine how much helpful it is for beginners. Keep up the good work. Really appreciate your time and effort. :pray: :+1: :blush:
May God bless you with lots of success and happiness :blush:

1 Like

We’re already at week number 5! This video is about ‘How to get a tight sounding orchestra’. A topic that many of you were waiting for. Cause when you do this right, you will be able to get that PRO orchestral sound that we all want. Just by simply using the delay functionality in your DAW to get that spot on timing of all your orchestral instruments.

Next week I’ll cover the microphone settings and how to get a good sounding microphone balance.

1 Like

In this video we get a little bit personal. The microphone balance (settings) is a matter of taste. Some people like the big stage sound with lush strings and ambience. While others love the intimate much more dryer sound of a small room. In my opinion there’s no wrong or right, it’s a matter of what fits your composition the best.

You can download the project file of this week here: http://bit.ly/33fqhiN

Earlier I shared my project files (midi mockup etc.) with you all. If you haven’t downloaded them yet, here is the direct link: http://bit.ly/show-opener-gh0stwrit3r-music

1 Like

Hell yeh I want the project please (:

1 Like

The project files are still available @Leonardmastering for downloading. Link is above. In the package the original midi-mockup (which you can import into your own DAW), list of used libraries and some other stuff. In the weekly updated projectfile (link also above) you’ll find my template settings.

If you’re watching the videos you can follow me along and rebuild the orchestral music track yourself. Next week I’ll be talking about orchestration and then start with the videos about mixing :slight_smile:

1 Like

A good orchestral composition with bad orchestration choices will never give you the great result you had in mind. So you need to learn some basic skills of orchestration. That means you have to read some stuff (I highly recommend The principles of Orchestration by Rimsky Korsakov), analyse film scores and learn to transcribe. In this video I’ll address my orchestration choices while writing the orchestral music track Show Opener (which we rebuild in this Masterclass). I hopefully they are worthy to you.

2 Likes