Fireworks PNG Vectors?

Are users allowed to upload and sell vector graphics in Fireworks PNG format?

Good question, not at the moment, it’s all EPS as that is the most interchangeable format and I think most apps can export to it. I think Fireworks can scratches head will have to check

I was thinking this as well

yeah fireworks ftw… but yeah it would be awesome to do it that way on a sidenote im pretty sure you can export as a psd file

If enough people show an interest, perhaps we can change Collis’ mind, ha, ha. :slight_smile: As a side note, you can convert most things from Fw > Ps pretty well. File > Save As > PSD. Fireworks FTW! :slight_smile:

I was also thinking this. Photoshop doesn’t play as well with flash as Adobe leads you to believe, so I do all my stuff in Fireworks anyway, since I work with flash mostly. But even when I’m just doing vectors, I now tend to just use Fireworks

Yes fireworks can export to a psd, but not all that well. Loses a lot of filters and stuff. I was actually just in the middle of simplifying a bunch of vectors so that I could save them as psd’s. But if you could just use Fireworks png’s they would look SOOO much better :slight_smile:

I’m all in for allowing Fireworks PNG’s.

I use it for my main design program 90% of the time.

Nice to see so many people use Fireworks here. It makes Graphic River feel like home already. :wink:

not at the moment, it’s all EPS as that is the most interchangeable format and I think most apps can export to it. I think Fireworks can

As of CS4, Fireworks cannot export EPS directly. For vector graphics, our best bet is probably to export the final fw.png as .ai and then export EPS from Illustrator. Or we could import Fireworks assets one-by-one into AI, and then go from there.

But, like MBMedia noted, exporting will lose many native Fireworks options. Live filters are the most obvious, but auto shapes, smart symbols and custom styles will go down the drain as well.

Even as a prospective customer, I’d more likely buy a vector file marked as a native Fireworks png, knowing that I can open it in my favorite application and retain all editing functionalities that I expect from it.

Fireworks users have little use for EPS files, since most of those files are flattened and rasterized on import[1], which makes them practically useless as vectors.

Bottom line: enabling Fireworks pngs on Graphic River would not be for convenience’s sake. It could increase both the pool of available content and the number of interested customers. :slight_smile:

fn1. except EPS files made in AI

Some good feedback, I’ll chat with Amanda and Cyan about it.

In the meantime another thing to remember is that PSDs and EPSs are like the default medium for Graphics and Vectors respectively on the site. So if you have Fireworks graphics you can make a PSD file and then package it with the fireworks file into a ZIP. Then in your description add “Available with Original Fireworks Files etc etc”

Anyhow I’ll keep thinking on the issue!

I’ve been experimenting with this quite a bit, and I think you should know my findings as far as getting Fireworks png’s into one of these formats you require.

1. when fireworks vectors are exported to psd’s layers are kept, but they are flattened to bitmaps. So this completely does not work.

2. when fireworks saves as an ai the colors get ROYALLY boned, even in simple vectors with no filters, not to mention all filters being gone or flattened. It’s not worth the effort redoing all the colors in all my vectors so I will not be doing this.

3. Fireworks cannot export .eps

4. Neither Photoshop nor Illustrator can open a Fireworks PNG without flattening it.

If anyone has solutions to these I’m all ears, but as for right now, if Graphics River does not have a Fireworks PNG section for vectors I cannot partake in the vector side of things. I’ll still have my 3D scenes as layered psd’s, but that’s all :frowning:

One thing to keep in mind as far as marketing, PSD and EPS may have more customers, but they also have more competition. As we’ve seen on this thread, there is a market for Fireworks PNG’s, and if you were to decide in favor, you would have ZERO competition since no other marketplaces provide this service. That could be big bucks for Envato and for Fireworks authors like myself.

Thank you for considering it, Collis. I hope it it will be a favorable decision. :slight_smile:

I understand that in the meantime we can include the source png as a secondary option. This could be a compromise in some cases.

However, as another suite user, I can verify MBMedia’s findings.

Today I wanted to turn some of my Fireworks vectors into suitable EPS via Illustrator; to do that, I had to strip the file down to bare bones and recreate the assets in AI. Nothing but the outline survived from the original Fireworks file.

In this case, I was lucky to get good results with some work. Other times, I guess we just have to flatten some assets or do without.

I sincerely hope that Fireworks will not be considered. It is unprofessional – It’s like using Microsoft Publisher instead of InDesign or Quark.

My two cents:
I have to completely disagree with Hiimok last message.
When considering web design elements, many of us that are willing to buy some ready made designs are more likely to use Fireworks for making slight changes.
Supporting Fireworks png at least for web elements should be a standard IMO.

My two cents: I have to completely disagree with Hiimok last message. When considering web design elements, many of us that are willing to buy some ready made designs are more likely to use Fireworks for making slight changes. Supporting Fireworks png at least for web elements should be a standard IMO.

I would had left this thread dead. Never even saw that reply.

We allow png’s as long as there’s a psd in the main file.

I sincerely hope that Fireworks will not be considered. It is *unprofessional* -- It's like using Microsoft Publisher instead of InDesign or Quark.

spits coffee are you serious? Fireworks is fantastic when doing web layouts. I use Fireworks when doing web well before I think about cracking Photoshop open.

I wouldn’t use it for photo manipulation (that’s Photoshops Job), and i wouldn’t use it to create lush vector objects (that’s Illustrators place), but I would (and do) use it for web layouts and slicing. Oh, and it’s png output - a more common image file format for the web - is output far better and with a smaller memory footprint than Illustrator or Photoshop.

Remember himok, a tool is never a matter of profession, its knowing when to use it correctly that is :slight_smile:

I do hope that Fireworks PNGs are offered in the future for site templating, because they offer a lot of flexibility that you don’t get in Fireworks or Photoshop.

My one cent …
You guys should check if its not against the law to read someone’s minds and publish them :slight_smile:
I wanted to ask the same question, but I was afraid that no one will be interesting. I’ve got even prepared folder with all PNG stuff for sale - as good as those prepared in PS.
If one counting voices of the crowd - add mine.

Cheers.

My two cents: I have to completely disagree with Hiimok last message. When considering web design elements, many of us that are willing to buy some ready made designs are more likely to use Fireworks for making slight changes. Supporting Fireworks png at least for web elements should be a standard IMO.

I would had left this thread dead. Never even saw that reply.

We allow png’s as long as there’s a psd in the main file.

I believe that you should allow “Fireworks only” design elements. For those that are desiging directly within Fireworks, I suppose that in many cases it must be somewhat painfull to come up with a perfectly working psd. What’s the point of having a psd when the overall design relies on Fireworks specific features?
Until one knows exactly what he is buying, I can’t see why it would hurt to have Fireworks based design only.

Sorry to dig up such an old thread but I would like to know if there’s any chance for the Fireworks .png files to be accepted anytime soon?

I tried upload one of my Fireworks .png file but it got rejected as I didn’t attached .eps file…

I have many icons, items even full designs created in Fireworks but I’m unable to upload them here and converting any of those designs to .psd would be such pain in the *ss.

I would also love to know. Fireworks is the medium of choice for many of us ‘screen only’ designers.

I like Fireworks a lot to.

It’s by far the most perfect tool for creating web lay-outs and ellements.