Envato Market has gone HTTPS everywhere!

I think Dashbord Plus also needs to be updated. As its not working for us.

I think that explains 20%~30% loss in traffic today?

Working now, thanks :slight_smile:

Hi @dtbaker no not working :frowning: i can see dashboard plus tab in the settings page but when i hit its redirect me to codecanyon profile page. no options are there as before :frowning:

There is a big traffic drop after market goes to HTTPS, don;t know why but itā€™s affect on sales too.

1 Like

No traffic drop here in Google Analytics. Iā€™ve actually seen an increase.

Hereā€™s a good one for you :stuck_out_tongue:

paypal.com just started to appear in our Elite Analytics around about the same time HTTPS launched.

Most are paypal.com/webscr and some are paypal.com/in/cgi-bin/merchantpaymentweb

Itā€™s only some referrals, not all. Screenshot:

Think this is related to HTTPS?

(Could it have been customers who originally landed days ago in HTTP, and coming back from HTTPS sets a new referral because they donā€™t already have one registered in Analytics? Iā€™m not sure how Analytics treats customers if they jump from http to https)

Iā€™ll have a chat with our analytics team and see if they can shed some light on the situation here. I know last time I spoke with them they mentioned we were seeing more ā€œsessionsā€ being reported as they were being split into multiple instead of the one continuous flow.

Iā€™ll check out the w3c spec for the referer policy today and see what I can come up with but if this is something weā€™ve stumbled on and PayPal is at fault, weā€™ll need to get in touch with them to resolve it.

1 Like

Here we go:

Iā€™ve spent a bit of time looking into this and the reason this has popped up is indeed because of the move to HTTPS however this is correct behaviour based on the w3 spec. Section 15.1.3 of RFC2616 states the following:

Clients SHOULD NOT include a Referer header field in a (non-secure) HTTP request if the referring page was transferred with a secure protocol.

Prior to the HTTPS rollout, PayPal and Skrill transactions were returned to a HTTP URL from a HTTPS referrer whereas now it is a HTTPS return URL from a HTTPS referrer. This coincides and explains the behaviour we are seeing for analytics. Please note, this does not mean you are getting any differences in traffic - it is just the source that is now different as previously it would have been marked as ā€œotherā€ or ā€œunknownā€.

Thanks to @dtbaker for the work around!

1 Like