Download older version of a theme

Hi,

I have purchased various themes, and I am wondering if it’s possible to download an older version of a theme?

From My account > Downloads, I can download the last versions of my purchased items, but in some cases a theme has mayor updates and I would prefer to download an older version.

Regards,
Victor

You would need to contact the author of that theme to do this

Hey Victor!

That’s a great question! Unfortunately we don’t host older versions of Themes, we’re only able to serve the most recent file provided to us by each Author :frowning:

You can contact Authors by heading over to the respective item page and clicking on the “Support” tab above the preview image.

Good luck, and let me know if you have any questions! :grin:

Christian

Thanks!

I will contact the author in these cases.

Regards,
Victor

Please reconsider this strategy as it would be very much appreciated when the latest previous version (pre-latest) is also available for download… especially in those situations where the author has introduced a bug in the latest version of the product. That way you can start debugging to assist the developer of the product.

Also in those rare occasions when a incomplete version of the product was uploaded as latest version it would help you to recognize that and notify the developer about it / have your escape to roll back to a working version of the product.

And yes - I’ve experienced all above scenarios already a number of times and having the pre-latest version available would have saved me downtime as developers are not always staring at their mailbox to see if someone mails them about these kind of requests!

1 Like

stgoos is right, the author introduced a breaking change in their theme. I need the version before they broke it. If I upgrade the theme on my site, a whole section will simply stop working.

1 Like

I also agree with the above members. The prior version should also be available for download. I too have run into an issue where the new theme has broken the site and I cannot easily revert back.

2 Likes

It won’t happen because:

1. envato are not the copyright owners so do not technically have the right to maintain older copies once an author has removed or updated them

2. the increase in storage capacity required to maintain multiple versions of hundred’s of thousands of items would be huge and need to be paid for

1 Like

It won’t happen because:

1. envato are not the copyright owners so do not technically have the right to maintain older copies once an author has removed or updated them
  2. the increase in storage capacity required to maintain multiple versions of hundred’s of thousands of items would be huge and need to be paid for

Not acceptable answers, this feature is really needed.

1 - change your user agreement

2 - you’re a technology company figure it out… maybe a version control like git

2 Likes

Just to be clear we don’t work for envato.

You can ask support who may be able to provide more clarity, but I would imagine that if someone does not own the copyright to something, then they have zero right to maintain distribution once it is removed, regardless of any technological updates.

1 Like

Well, then you shouldn’t be answering like you do.

I can say with certainty that buyers cannot download old versions from envato, as the marketplace only retains access to the latest copy uploaded by the author.

It’s possible that if a buyer contacts the author directly then they may be willing to share an older copy but that’s not controlled by envato.