Bad 1 star review for no reason! Can I offer refund to get rid of the bad review?

Hi Envato Community,

Here is our situation! Exactly how the title of this post says, we got a bad review for no reason from one of our buyers.

The question is: Can I offer a refund for his purchase and get rid of that bad review even if the buyer didn’t asked for it? The buyer is unresponsive so we are stuck with this 1 star review.

If yes, can I do this by submitting a ticket to Envato Suport?

Hi, This happened to me also few times for my Search Engine (https://codecanyon.net/item/easy-web-search-php-search-engine-with-image-search-and-crawling-system/17574164). Some guys are horrible sometimes, they do not ask any help and just put bad review for which we cannot help. I noticed sometimes this is because their lack of knowledge, and as per my knowledge we cannot offer a refund, only they can start a refund, you can send him a message that you like to give him a refund, if he start’s the refund process, that’s good. then your bad review also will be removed along with the purchase.

1 Like

Hi, @nelliwinne! I understand you correctly? If the buyer gets their money, the negative review is removed by default?

Yes. As they says “4. When an author approves a refund, the customer’s rating
for that item purchase will be removed, along with the customer’s rights
to use and download the item.” see this post at

Thanks, but at audiojungle, in my opinion, not so. At least, I don’t remember this.

I think it should be removed. ask from support.

Yes, when it’s refunded, reviews are getting removal automatically

Yes, you should contact Envato ask ask for comment removal. This is what you should do instead of offering refund

There’s an active thread about this on the forum (few threads actually) You can check those as well

When you say “for no reason” did they not state a reason (so there could be a reason, they just didn’t share what it was) or did they give a reason that you feel is invalid? Just curious.

There are plenty of customers leaving a one star review with titles like “Bugs”, or “Code Quality”. But when our support team get in touch with them, they refuse to collaborate in order to fix their issues or are unresponsive to our messages.

How we should proceed with this type of buyers? We need to accept bad reviews because of what?!

Any idea?

If buyer had already submitted any support ticket then try to reach him and offer to solve the issues he is facing. If he didn’t contacted you anywhere then you should ask @Envato to remove the rating rather than giving the refund.

2 Likes

How to ask Envato to remove rating?
We have customers leaving rating with one star:

I am requesting refund please refund me

If you want the review to be removed then you’re going to have to give Envato a bit more to go on if you get in touch with support… a one star review in itself is not grounds for removal.

Not only one star. According to Envato poclicies Review/rating cannot be added in basis of Refund. When the background of the review is to make pressure to grant refund that means the review is invalid. If customer writes a 1 star review while their support period is expired and the background of the review is to force the author to provide review will make review invalid. These are according to Envato Review Policies.

Customers don’t know if they mention refund to force refunding their review/rating is invalid.

We do not just report reviews.

There’s nothing in the rating or review removal policy regarding refunds. Although… see below.

And…

A customer is welcome to leave a review whether they have active support or not… they just can’t leave a review regarding the support if they don’t have active support. They can’t “aim to force a user to do something they aren’t obligated to do”. A refund where there’s no obligation to provide one would be included in that list, but there’s a big difference between aiming to force somebody to provide a refund and asking for a refund.

If they’d messaged you and said “give me a refund or I’ll leave you a 1 star review” then that would have been different, but a 1 star review because they believe it deserves 1 star and they want a refund as a result… are two very different situations. Still, handle the buyer as you see fit and feel free to contact support, maybe they can assist.

Hello @SpaceStockFootage and thanks for your reply. Maybe I was not clear about what the case is.

We have got a review and this is it:

In this case, why should he be refunded while no reasons are mentioned? Why should Envato keep such a review? Is it like that if anyone can request a refund if not accepted they place a bad review? Is this this a bright future for Envato continuing like this? We are not against reviews being bad if they have any reasons that covers by Envato refund policies.

@1bazarkrd You can create ticket for removing unwanted bad reviews. Check this article https://help.author.envato.com/hc/en-us/articles/360031066291-Rating-or-Review-Removal-Policy.
Some customers will ask refund without proper reasons and if we decline the refund request they will put one star rating and ask for refund. This happened to me and I created ticket for removing it and envato investigated it and removed the one star rating

If you think the rating is unfair contact Envato support and ask them to remove the rating, they will remove it if it is unfair and the client is wrong!

You can contact support and report the customer also. Because, most of them are scammers as I saw!

Thanks guys. The issue is much bigger than Envato sees. We have React Native apps and we have full documentation and support forum to provide support to our customers. While some of customers are not skilled and they don’t know how to setup development environment nor do they have skills to configure and install the app.

When they ask for support we do provide and in many cases we do remote support using teamviewer and anydesk. However some of them ask to configure the app for them for free when we tell them that if we configure and publish the app it will be a paid service. When they see that, they directly go and put a review like below

app full of bugs, bad support

When we ask them to raise a refund request or tell them what the truth is, they ignore it and are not responding.

Are there people buying licenses when on sale and only leave bad review without any reason?