50 Keywords for Video Items

How exactly?
What makes project great? The use of common and popular keywords, or something else?

Ofcourse an excellence of a project makes the project excellence. But tags also have an effect

After reading others’ comments, I too realized 50 is too much.
Because authors may tend to use irrelevant keywords just to fill it with 50 or nearly 50.

This may cause bad search results for customers.

I also think 20 - 25 is a great number.

2 Likes

depends on how the search works. If items with less tags rank higher when those tags are searched for, authors have an interest in not using too many irrelevant tags.

1 Like

Thanks for your responses so far! We wanted to comment on a couple of points below.

We’ve had consistent author feedback that limiting to 15 was creating significant additional work for authors because authors tend to prepare keywords for multiple sites at once. As most other sites accept more than 15 keywords, authors had to spend considerable time carefully editing keywords to comply with Envato requirements.

We understand that there are different types of video items, and what works for stock video may not be the same thing that works for templates, but this change still provides more flexibility for authors to decide what will work best for their items, and this overall is a positive change.

It’s worth noting that 50 keywords is the maximum, and this most likely will not be suitable for all authors and items. Keywords are only one of the variables for item discovery, and adding more does not always benefit your item in terms of discoverability.

Our guidance is always to use accurate titles, descriptions and tags in combination to get the best results and provide a great experience for buyers. Focusing on just one of these can lead to poor outcomes (like stuffing titles with terms better suited as keywords). It’s always a balance, and now you have more flexibility to experiment and find out what works best for your items.

As with all changes we make, we plan to measure and monitor the impact. If we discover more opportunities for improvement, we will work through them as they come up.

3 Likes

@steve_lam I understand that you do all for us. But I would like things like these happen with votes of authors.

For example create a poll here so we vote. It is the simplest way :ok_hand:

P.S: Poll like when we had in the last “Live Meetup”. I think it is the most fair way for everyone.

I agree. I am sure that many authors will not want it if a vote is made.
No changes should be made, as several authors gave feedback.

1 Like

@steve_lam Good question. How will the number of tags affect search rankings?
Should I add more tags to make my project more visible? Or, if 15 tags fully reveal the essence of the project, is it better not to add new ones?

1 Like

@MarkBrodhuber Thank you friend

Hey @romlam,

Your focus should be on describing the item in the best and most accurate way possible, so users can find it properly and uniquely identify it. This is more important for discoverability than adding excess keywords that aren’t relevant to your item.

For example, if you have a video that includes tables, instead of using two keywords like table and tables, get rid of one of these (as an extra one doesn’t add anything) and include a unique relevant keyword that focuses on another aspect of the item.

2 Likes

Please, Calm Down Friends. All these opinions are just predictions.
The proof of the pudding is in the easting

@steve_lam Thanks for the answer. But I wanted to know a little about something else. I wanted to know about the influence of the number of tags on a single tag.
For example:
One project has 15 tags, one of which is “table”.
The second project has 50 tags, one of which is “table”.
Which of these two projects will be shown in the list of search results above, if the client enter the “table” word in the search bar (without taking into account other factors)?

Good question.

If project with 15 tags will be first on the search results than project 50 tags I’m agree with this feature, I think it should work with this logic but I don’t think actually it works like this.

1 Like

Edited tags on some files, waiting 1 day for review.
Is that ok ?
How long it will take ? And for what ?
Reviewers check the tags ?
Will they check tags in 15K-20K files submissions ?

Hey @romlam, if both of them contained the keyword ‘table’ they would both be returned in search.

And @SinCabeza, your items will stay live while going through review, and we’re currently working on some process adjustments to allow these reviews to occur faster :slight_smile:

Yes, I understand. But the question is which of the tags will influence the item more and push it out in the search above. The “table” tag from 15 tags, or the “table” tag from 50 tags?

1 Like

The constant avoidance to answer the real question sounds to me like there is no difference in ranking.

1 Like

…or this information is secret to avoid search manipulations from authors.

But I actually also think there is no difference.

2 Likes

The feature itself would avoid authors taking advantage of the search. So the absence of an answer for this reason means the answer is no.

Time to spam tags I guess.

2 Likes

This feature would NOT avoid taking advantages. Author may use less keywords, and all of them may be spam but popular tags. He may use only three: “youtube, corporate, instagram”, and probably be on top of every search.

While 50 keywords, as I said before, devalue all spam tags. Because more authors will use them, and search result will be too huge. So client will start to be more specific.