50 Keywords for Video Items

What you are saying is this is good because now everyone can feel free to spam and exploit popular search tags, so we can finally all spend our time on adding popular tags to our items instead of doing useful stuff. We are all bound by the same rules. People who did use these tags before did so with the sacrifice of more specific keywords that will not fit into the 15 tags limit. It had at least some disadvantage, so authors had to consider if this is the right move.

Now everyone can do it without basically sacrificing anything which means everyone has to do it which means we should all put youtube, vimeo, instagram etc on our items because videos can be uploaded there.

The search taking into consideration the number of tags would have you weigh in the pros and cons again. So it would at least restore some sort of balance, which will not lead to everyone adding specific tags to everything.

You have stated already that you like this move. Other people have already disagreed with you. I disagree with you as well.

2 Likes

So client will start to be more specific.

What do you mean? How?

@steve_lam Let’s be more clear. Problem is: For example I sell Fashion Promo. For now, it is on the first page when searching “fashion”.

But new authors which create business, corporate promo, openers will add “fashion” tag to their item. So my item will go to 2nd, 3rd page of the “fashion” search. So client will not find really “fashion” thing?

Am I right?

1 Like

@Creattive It’s good because now we finally can use a lot of synonyms without any compromise. If somebody would like to use this feature for a spam. Then it’s their choice. What is the difference between those spammers who use “youtube” as one of 15 keywords, and those who will use as one of 50 tags? Because the first ones sacrifice more?
I see that people disagree with my opinion, I also see that they use “youtube” as one of 15 tags. It was probably a popular strategy. And honestly I like that with 50 keywords it will not be so profitable. Because it was a manipulation, not the worst one, but definitely manipulation, that gain more page views, not because project is relevant or great, but because author would like to have more attention from nowhere.
Also as I said before, those authors who create content directly for youtube bloggers, with 50 tags can be more specific, and use many variations:
vblog, vlogger, vlog, video blog, blogger, youtube, youtube channel, youtube end screen and etc.

@DrMotion If client search “fashion”, and find 100500 items. He will see that result is not so relevant for him. He probably be more specific and add few extra keywords to find what he need.
With 15 tags, he will also find many “fashion” items (because it’s popular keyword). But when he tries to be more specific, he will probably find only few projects or even 0. Not because there is no such projects, but because authors do not want to waste space for unpopular keywords. Instead authors strategy is to put “youtube, vimeo, facebook”, etc.

UPD: With 50 tags there will be no compromise: to be specific or to use popular tags? We can finally chose both.

Yes. I cannot come up with 50 tags for most of my items. I guess many people will not reach that limit. What to do with the remaining tags? Fill it up with general spam. Many more will do, and that also means that if you do not do it, you may see a disadvantage.

I need to go through 250 items and add general spam tags to each one of them now. I don’t like this.

Before that, I was fine with the 15 tags I chose, I did not need spam tags. Now I do.

1 Like

btw I don’t think I used youtube as my tag on many of my items, yet I disagree with you. So I’m not whining because my strategy of using “youtube” as a tag is now over.

I am whining because my strategy of not using “youtube” as a tag is now over.

Totally agree!!

And I don’t, and wouldn’t. Because I feel it totally useless, especially now. :man_shrugging:

You have explained perfectly why this is not useless in your last post.

replace fashion with youtube. If you have the perfect template the customer is looking for, he first types youtube, sees that it is not specific enough and adds 10 more keywords that all fit your item yet it will not show up because you do not have “youtube” in the tags like everyone else does. And you will have no sale.

The point of reaching 0 results, as you also described perfectly, had the customer delete keywords. most probably general ones, like “youtube”, that do not describe his needs as good as the other ones.

If I have a project specially made for youtube, I will put “youtube” as a tag. And client will find my item.
If I put it just as a spam, I think it will make more harm for me. Because it will be not a relevant thing for a client, he will note my name, and ignore all my other items. Because he will understand that I use it for no sense.
I spend a lot of hours on audiojungle, and this way I ignore a lot of spammers by their nickname. It’s also a matter of reputation.

your whole point is based on the fact that youtube is a popular keyword. Many need videos for youtube, but only a small part of them need a specific “youtube styled” video.

Every template here is kind of made for youtube. Youtube is a video platform, we do video templates.

You have laid out perfectly how many customers will add keywords instead of starting over their search from scratch. They only do that when they reach 0 search results.
And this point, as you also laid out perfectly, will not be reached now as soon with 50 tags as it was with 15.

This change means, without popular keywords that most customers start their search with, you are doomed from the get go.

Okay, good luck with that.
Here we can only guess of client behavior. And build our points on this guesses, not on facts or any stats.
Envato added 50 tags, and it’s probably made because of footage. But all authors have the same situation, the start point is identical. What to do with that is private matter for each author.

You are right, it doesn’t matter really what we discuss here. I actually do hope you are right in the end.

I’m just upset that I have a lot of items that are tedious to update. I wish we had a bulk edit option.

All the best for you :slight_smile:

And for you. :slightly_smiling_face:

I will update only few popular items. Doing it for every item will take insane amount of time.

Will Envato present a tool for easy and fast edit for Items ? (edit, import tags, … e.t.c.)

nope.

Totally agree with all of this. All we can do is making guesses. It would be interesting to know the real experience and results from any author who added 50 keywords or at least more than the usual 15.

May I ask you a question? What is it that you don’t like? The idea of 50 keywords are too many and maybe not needed, or the tedious work and time you have to dedicate to get the 50 keywords for all your items? If it was an easy task, would you like the 50 words idea? I ask you all this because I’d like to know the opinion of a succesful author like you, if you don’t mind

I don’t like the tedious work. It is not like I think this is a bad change. More keywords means more flexibility (for everyone).

I only strongly disagree with the notion that this means popular keywords will be devalued now. In my eyes, they are even more powerful now. But this is just a prediction on the way I see customer behaviour as I laid out in my recent posts.

My view: To get the optimum out of your portfolio, it is best to have 50 keywords on every item now. If I strive for the optimum, I will sit there and add keywords for days.

2 Likes

Why do we need 50 keywords if we can put them all in the item name?:wink:

nice trick