Which earn you best Exclusive or Non-Exclusive

Hi,

I see there are many authors, who sell non-exclusively. I am interested to listen their experience which one is better to earn more…

Share your stories guys.

Thanks

Math time.

100 Sales at $45 result in a revenue of $4500. As an elite author, you’d be getting 70% of that, which means $3150.

Now, let’s say you’re not an elite and only get 33%. That’d be $1485 for you, out of your sales. Now, in order to compensate for that loss (only to make it on positive) you’d have to get $1665 more, which is roughly 12% more than $1485. In other words, you’d have to get on other markets with the same theme, 12% more of what you earned on Envato.

But if you’re just starting - perhaps not being Exclusive and expanding your items to many markets in order to gather more customers could be viable, as your exposure is not high/you don’t have a name for yourself.

Now, there are major things to consider when doing that:

1. What is the size of the other market? As in, how much can I generate?
  2. Is this theme fit for that market? (You see, everyone can sell on themeforest, but certain markets actually care about great design) So that it will sell?
  3. Do I want to invest? Do you want to put your money to advertising & such? Because maybe, here, on themeforest, you might not need advertising for a certain file!

So after you’ve calculated all of that, you may want to do some math and see what is viable, you’ll have your answer.

Lots of things to consider. For example, on themeforest, Multi-Purposes seem to rule everything, yet on another, more calming market, MPs don’t really shine that well. (C…).

So I guess it comes down to each individual case, which I know is what you asked of, but I tried to provide some insight there.

You can’t even make one half of the money you are currently making in ThemeForest if you go with non-exclusive program.

If you have lots of customers and there’s many people that know you directly, you can compensate by selling themes directly and having full access to the customers and the payments. But that also requires quite a lot more time, to handle payments, advertising, etc. It depends from author to author, popular authors would probably have a chance, but it would take more time to maintain everything.

I just check few Non-Exclusive authors I will not write their name.

Author 1 = Here he have around 5500+ users on TF , but in actual he have 65000+ users. He have earned around 2 million dollars in last 3 years. If you take out his employees and marketing expense other expense so may be 0.8 million dollar expense in total in 3 years. Total he earned 1.2 million.

Author 2 = Here 19000+ users on TF, But in actual he have 70k+ users. He already earned around 2 to 3 million dollars in 3 years.

Author 3 = Here 2000+ users on TF, but in Actual he have 100k+ users and earn around 3 to 4 million dollars in last 2 to 3 years.

So What you say about them?

I talked 2 authors myself and they confirmed above earnings…

So any comments…

Were they always non-exclusive or they became non-exclusive after selling a lot on Envato and building their user database here?

You are really young on the marketplace so you don’t know the old authors. Post some names, maybe we can respond you better…

@RubenBristian

From the first day they are Non-Exclusive author…

I am upload themes here from 16 May 2013 its 1 years now. But I am old here I know TF when it is launched…

I know all big author and they are in my skype list.

I talked with non exclusive author and they tell me many things.

So in my view non-exclusive is good… I am going to open my new account for non exclusive items.

What you say…

Is this legal having more than one account here?

Jthemes said

Id imagine so, seems quite common tbh

Imagine owning two account that go elite! Would be cool

Jthemes said

Yes you can create as many account as you can....
SpyroPress said

@RubenBristian

From the first day they are Non-Exclusive author…

I am upload themes here from 16 May 2013 its 1 years now. But I am old here I know TF when it is launched…

I know all big author and they are in my skype list.

I talked with non exclusive author and they tell me many things.

So in my view non-exclusive is good… I am going to open my new account for non exclusive items.

What you say…

hmm, that’s strange. Because in the first 200 authors, only 2 are non-exclusive. One started as exclusive, built his audience here, while the other one has a big theme shop. So i’m not sure…

But both are the millionaires… I opened my new account…So non-exclusive is going to an adventure for me…

SpyroPress said

But both are the millionaires… I opened my new account…So non-exclusive is going to an adventure for me…

You don’t get it. One of them started on ThemeForest and kept his files here for around 2 years time in which he got thousands of sales as an exclusive author. He wasn’t non-exclusive.

Good luck anyway! :smiley:

SpyroPress said

You should use the Exclusive program. In our world no other marketplaces to be on the same level as Themeforest. I advice you to select the exclusive

Only Orman switched from exclusive to non-exclusive after building his customer base from here. The other non-exclusive author is probably a company with lots of coders and they’re selling the items on their own website as well, there’s no other author that started as non-exclusive.

If you have the funds and the reputation to sell your items on your own, go ahead, it’s a great move and in the long-run it will bring more money and power, but it’s quite hard and time-consuming and requires more money and dedication.

1 Like