Ways to Promote your AudioJungle Music

UPDATE: FEB 2013: WE ARE IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING THE SUGGESTIONS IN THIS THREAD TO THE KNOWLEDGEBASE. STAY TUNED!

Hey guys,

Seems like a lot of threads appear asking how best to promote your work. I wrote this article a few years ago primarily for ActiveDen, but a lot of the tips apply to all marketplaces. Everyone should read it. That said, I think it’s time for a list of ways to specifically promote AudioJungle music.

We can (and should) do this together in this thread. :slight_smile: Please post your suggestions and anything remotely worthwhile or valid I will promote to the list below. Once we have a substantial list I will consider moving it over to the wiki. Finally, always remember that as with most things in life, success and happiness comes from the size and quality of the effort you put into things, and it’s even more enjoyable if you can do it with a smile, dedication and some passion for what you love most. Good luck! :slight_smile:

Ways to Promote Your AudioJungle Music

• Upload frequently. This does not necessarily mean every day or multiple files per day. It simply means on a regular basis so that your name and brand and high quality music is out there. Let's say you release 30 tracks in a year: You will potentially reach a bigger audience if you spread those tracks out throughout the entire year instead of just 30 tracks on one day.
  • Don't get burned out. :) There's a temptation to invest TOO much time in a SHORT period of time and think that you have not improved your marketing and promotion. Appreciate that selling royalty-free music is a MARATHON, not a sprint. Lots of small work is better than one big concerted effort that you just leave alone. Create a plan. Make it manageable and stick to it. :)
  • Read and utilize the AudioJungle Author Resources page.
  • Post your WATERMARKED AudioJungle music on YouTube, Vimeo etc...
  • Post your WATERMARKED AudioJungle music on SoundCloud. Be sure to join the OFFICIAL SoundCloud Group on SoundCloud and post/share your music to our group. Link it to your AudioJungle item page. You can update each submission with a "Buy" button that links to your AudioJungle item page.
  • Embed Soundcloud instances of your AudioJungle tracks onto your Facebook wall. Or, just link to/promote your AudioJungle items on Facebook.
  • Start using Twitter. Yes, it's a science in itself, but use it to promote you and your work. Start off by using the Tweet buttons on your item pages. Understand however that solely posting links to your audio will not be of interest to your followers. Talk about yourself and your life and throw in the occasional link to your music instead. Be sure to use hash tags in your tweets.
  • Create your own Web site to promote your music.
  • Create a blog and discuss, post and embed your AudioJungle music in your blog.
  • Use the AudioJungle Music Player to embed your music in your blog or Web site. Be sure to add your referral ID to make extra income.
  • Become a stalwart of the Envato community. Immerse yourself in the community by being positive and helpful in the forums. Comment on new files and encourage other authors. Positively rate your fellow author's collections etc...
  • Create public collections of your own work. Note that a successful technique is also to create collections based on themes, seasons and genres from ALL authors, but put SOME of your own best files in there too. Then it does not look so selfish or biased to a customer.
  • Brand yourself! Spend time enhancing and updating your profile page. Make sure your avatar/thumbnail does not look amateur, make it look as professional as possible. Musical genius but awful at Photoshop? Find a friend on GraphicRiver to help you work on your brand! Find/use Photoshop templates on GraphicRiver, answers are right below your nose! :) Likewise, use a ThemeForest template for your new blog or Web site.
  • Liaise with VideoHive authors and encourage them to use your audio in their video previews.
  • Effectively tag your files.
  • Diversify your portfolio - produce and write tracks for as many genres as possible.
  • Try to time the publication date of your audio: Releasing a Christmas track on Christmas Eve is not generally a good idea, even if it is the best piece of audio the world has ever heard. ;) Plan ahead - release it early enough for it to be heard and grow momentum. Allow enough time to promote it.
  • Offer a way for subscribers to register for your own newsletter via your own Web site. Create regular e-mails to inform interested customers of your latest AudioJungle releases.
  • Understand the mindset that homepage exposure is NOT the "Holy Grail" to becoming a top author on AudioJungle.
  • Submit some of your content to the Bargain Basement
  • Read Envato Notes regularly, particularly interviews with authors to learn new ways of marketing and becoming successful.
  • Link to your AudioJungle portfolio in your e-mail signature. It's simple, easy, and discreet.
  • Write descriptions for your items that contain pertinent keywords. This does not mean a list of keywords, it means full sentences that contain important keywords that will help search engines rank your item page better.
  • Get involved with EXTERNAL music sites such as a forum about a particular DAW you like to use. Add your AudioJungle portfolio link to your forum signature. Note, this is obviously not allowed on the Envato forums.
  • Create a business card promoting your AudioJungle portfolio. Hand it out to everyone you meet!
  • Create FREE music and when and however you distribute it, heavily publicize your AudioJungle portfolio. Important note: You CANNOT give away your AudioJungle music for free if you are an Exclusive author. This tip implies creating a brand new track for the sole purpose of giving it away for free to help publicize the rest of your portfolio.

Please add your ideas, suggestions and recommendations to the thread below. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

What an awesome wall of useful information! Thanks for writing all that out Scott :slight_smile:

Thanks Scott, very helpful :slight_smile:

Thank you very much Scott, there’s a lot of things to do :slight_smile:
Thanks for sharing these helpful advices!

Thanks! Totally forgot that bargaiment basement…

Great info, Scott! I will read it carefully later tonight and implement some of your suggestions.

Thanks,

Toby

Great help for beginners, Scott! Thank you very much!

This is great. I’m gonna get on the case during my Christmas holidays :sunglasses:

Great advices!

Scott I have a question.
Is there a possibility that we have some free watermark videos for presenting our music via youtube and vimeo? Something like when we donated some free music few years ago for vh and activden authors.

Have a nice day!

leto said

Great advices!

Scott I have a question.
Is there a possibility that we have some free watermark videos for presenting our music via youtube and vimeo? Something like when we donated some free music few years ago for vh and activden authors.

Have a nice day!

Hey Leto, Merry Christmas, I like your Santa hat! :slight_smile: That’s actually a really good idea! So if I understand what you’re saying, you’d like some kind of template for creating a video where you just add your own audio, edit it to the length you need in Movie Maker on a PC or iMovie on a Mac (for example) and then submit it to YouTube? For example, some kind of animated AudioJungle motion graphic or series of graphics? If so, that might be something we could try and arrange with a VH author. Would any other AudioJungle authors find this useful or do you think you would prefer to create your own video so that you can customize it yourself and make it look different to everyone else’s?

leto said

Would any other AudioJungle authors find this useful or do you think you would prefer to create your own video so that you can customize it yourself and make it look different to everyone else’s?

Yes! It would be nice to have both. A static template for those quick jobs and a customizable template for finer detail. :slight_smile:

Thanks

-Toby

scottwills said
leto said

Great advices!

Scott I have a question.

Have a nice day!

Hey Leto, Merry Christmas, I like your Santa hat! :slight_smile: That’s actually a really good idea! So if I understand what you’re saying, you’d like some kind of template for creating a video where you just add your own audio, edit it to the length you need in Movie Maker on a PC or iMovie on a Mac (for example) and then submit it to YouTube? For example, some kind of animated AudioJungle motion graphic or series of graphics? If so, that might be something we could try and arrange with a VH author. Would any other AudioJungle authors find this useful or do you think you would prefer to create your own video so that you can customize it yourself and make it look different to everyone else’s?

Hey Scott Merry Christmas to you too!!
Yes, that is exactly what I meant :slight_smile: I hope other authors would find this useful too.

Cheers!!

leto said

Great advices!

Scott I have a question.

Have a nice day!

I would find that very useful! At the moment I just use a graphic displaying the link to where people can buy the track - as a video. Its quite boring and plain. Some quality videos by VH authors would really boost sales I think.

Good idea Leto!

Thank Scott. This is great info for newcomers.

scottwills said

Create FREE music and when and however you distribute it, heavily publicize your AudioJungle portfolio. Important note: You CANNOT give away your AudioJungle music for free if you are an Exclusive author. This tip implies creating a brand new track for the sole purpose of giving it away for free to help publicize the rest of your portfolio.

Does this also mean that I can’t, for example, let somebody use some of my sound effects (that are already available on AudioJungle) in a game/video for free, in exchange for promotion of my AJ portfolio (or even that exact sound(s))? Would that mean breaking the exclusivity of Envato account?

Also, what if I do a custom sound effects for somebody (for game/video/app) for free and THEN I decide to upload those effects to AJ, while game/app/whatever is still available - is that even allowed?

Just asking, to make things clear (sorry if this was a bit offtopic…)

Btw, great list Scott, thanks! I don’t think I have anything to add, you’ve covered it quite well :wink:

Thanks for the useful info, people on here keep saying do promotion over and over, but this by far is the most helpful and clear thing I have seen yet. Thanks for taking the time to do this!!

leto said
scottwills said
leto said

Great advices!

Scott I have a question.

Have a nice day!

Hey Scott Merry Christmas to you too!!
Yes, that is exactly what I meant :slight_smile: I hope other authors would find this useful too.

Cheers!!

Really great idea :slight_smile:

There is a music player? :open_mouth:

Thanks a lot Scott for your advice!

scottwills said
leto said

Great advices!

Scott I have a question.

Have a nice day!

Would any other AudioJungle authors find this useful or do you think you would prefer to create your own video so that you can customize it yourself and make it look different to everyone else’s?

I’d like to be able to use video material from VH and add my own sound effects. Although it would require that I could customize it myself.

Great! Thank you!