Unwanted camera movement between 2 keyframes

Hi guys, I’m sure that many of you have encountered this within AE. When you set 2 keyframes on an object, or camera, sometimes you get unwanted movement happening between the keyframes, like camera jumping, moving back and forward, or something like this.

The simple solution is to just select the keyframes, go to keyframe interpolation, and make sure that it is set to linear. I run into this problem all the time when I am working on 3d compositions in AE, and it always takes me some time to remember this handy tip.

I’m sure many of you know about this, but I thought I’d write it here for future reference, and for authors that experience the same problem and never solved it.

Important to remove unwanted movements between easing keyframes is the following: Go to keyframe interpolation and set the spatial interpolation to Linear.
The interpolation in time can be still a bezier curve.

Or Ctrl click all the keys to make 'em round (continuous). Keeps some smoothness too.

As easy option I like to use Graph Editor to visually see how values are changing between keyframes and correct curves if needed.

Best regards
Andrey

AndrVlad said

As easy option I like to use Graph Editor to visually see how values are changing between keyframes and correct curves if needed.

Best regards
Andrey

I always work with the graph editor for animation… that way you can get the exact look desired… but sometimes if the spatial interpolation is not set to linear, it tend to give problems… It seems to happen even with the graph being just straight, that’s why it’s kind of difficult to figure it out for the first time…

NeuronFX said
AndrVlad said

Best regards
Andrey

I always work with the graph editor for animation… that way you can get the exact look desired… but sometimes if the spatial interpolation is not set to linear, it tend to give problems… It seems to happen even with the graph being just straight, that’s why it’s kind of difficult to figure it out for the first time…

You very possibly won’t see spatial kinks on the speed graph, and they’re less than intuitive to understand on the value graph. The best way to look at these is in the motion path in the preview window.

felt_tips said
NeuronFX said
AndrVlad said

Best regards
Andrey

You very possibly won’t see spatial kinks on the speed graph, and they’re less than intuitive to understand on the value graph. The best way to look at these is in the motion path in the preview window.

Aa, I see… that explains it…

NeuronFX said

You can change this by going on the preferencies and under the “general” tab you can set spatial linear inperpolation as default!