Tricks on How to Sell More

tips-and-tricks

Hey, boys and girls. I have been a buyer on GraphicRiver for about 3 years and never thought on selling here. But… a few days ago I had decided to sell. Since yesterday I have my first item on sale, and had my first purchased item. Planning on working and uploading more items, because I understand you must have several items on sale until you start making money.

When you’re a new seller the purchases are discouraging, so my question to you guys goes like this… Is there a way you can improve your sales? Any advice, something?

Thank you, cheers.

Promote on social networks and photo site like flickr(google picks it up quickly).

If you have time a patients, make a site that promotes your items and others authors items with your referral link.

Also try and target categories that aren’t saturated (i.e. CD Artwork). Not that you should never make items for those saturated categories, but when you have 1k authors doing the same thing, then you are not likely to sell as well UNLESS you do files as good or better then the competition.

Use plenty (30) of relevant keyword/tags and be creative with your item description, think SEO.

Make your profile page look great and promote your items on it.

Upload regularly to stay relevant, and try not to use titles that everyone uses, be creative. Search graphic river for indie night,then you’ll see what I’m talking about. :slight_smile:

That’s all for now, if I can think of anything else, then I’ll comment again.

SeraphimChris said

Promote on social networks and photo site like flickr(google picks it up quickly).

If you have time a patients, make a site that promotes your items and others authors items with your referral link.

Also try and target categories that aren’t saturated (i.e. CD Artwork). Not that you should never make items for those saturated categories, but when you have 1k authors doing the same thing, then you are not likely to sell as well UNLESS you do files as good or better then the competition.

Use plenty (30) of relevant keyword/tags and be creative with your item description, think SEO.

Make your profile page look great and promote your items on it.

Upload regularly to stay relevant, and try not to use titles that everyone uses, be creative. Search graphic river for indie night,then you’ll see what I’m talking about. :slight_smile:

That’s all for now, if I can think of anything else, then I’ll comment again.

Thank you, Seraphim. Since indieground started to sell and make a good profit many users started copying his designs, even the titles. I’m trying to do something different, so I’ll follow your advice and thank you again. Cheers

All of Chris’ tips cover the basics of what I was going to say, but on top of that I have one other tip I have sort of picked up on.

This isn’t always the case, but a lot of the time I noticed that authors who tend to make a lot of items in the same category (ie all flyers, mockups, etc) tend to do better. Because I think when people have 50 items that are all the same, buyers might buy multiple items from them, or they may get better traffic.

It isn’t always the case, but if you are really good at flyers, or some other category, consider making a fair amount of items in that same category to better you chance of more sales and growth, long term that is.

Social network promotion is a great idea but not essential. I don’t promote my work. Just concentrate on feeding the needs of the buyers. Here are some essential tips from me. This is a often asked question so I hope my contribution to this thread will be helpful:

1. First, ask yourself what type of item(s) is/are more friendly to your creative engine? Try not to create certain items because others are doing so.
  2. Once you have discovered the category you are comfortable with, go ahead and watch/study some vitals tutorials on that subject in order to improve your skill/enhance your creativity.
  3. Create an avatar/logo and have a uniform preview that will distinguish your work from other authors. Try to add item description including other information on your preview. This will enable the buyers to understand the use of your item.
  4. Try not to be jack of all trade. Concentrate on that very category(s) you like and your goal should be to dominate it and reach out to the needs of buyers.
  5. The most important part is to have inner peace while creating your item. Don't rush it. Be honest about your item and make sure you establish a style that buyers can indentify from a distance that it is your work.
  6. Be cautious/conscious of the title you give to your items. It really do help to sell your work.
  7. Be proud of your work. Once buyers recognize that, they will be enticed to check it out/purchase and if they like what they got, they will come back for more.
  8. Be sure to deliver excellent support and be soft with your response. This is very important because they will love you for it and will buy many of your works just to support you (even though they don't need it that urgent).
  9. Use as many relevant tags as possible and properly name your preview file.
  10. And don't forget to crack your brain and discover many great ideas that will be useful to many buyers and help facilitate their workflow.

I hope you find this helpful :).

In addition: Chris and Mike’s comments are helpful too.

MikeMoloney said

All of Chris’ tips cover the basics of what I was going to say, but on top of that I have one other tip I have sort of picked up on.

This isn’t always the case, but a lot of the time I noticed that authors who tend to make a lot of items in the same category (ie all flyers, mockups, etc) tend to do better. Because I think when people have 50 items that are all the same, buyers might buy multiple items from them, or they may get better traffic.

It isn’t always the case, but if you are really good at flyers, or some other category, consider making a fair amount of items in that same category to better you chance of more sales and growth, long term that is.

I too noticed that authors who tend to make a lot of items in the same category are doing great, but I consider myself multi-disciplinary and I don’t want to get bored and do the same thing over and over again. I’m not doing this just for money, creating different items in different categories keeps me satisfied as an artist.

Thank you, Mike.

mrcharlesbrown said

Social network promotion is a great idea but not essential. I don’t promote my work. Just concentrate on feeding the needs of the buyers. Here are some essential tips from me. This is a often asked question so I hope my contribution to this thread will be helpful:

1. First, ask yourself what type of item(s) is/are more friendly to your creative engine? Try not to create certain items because others are doing so.
  2. Once you have discovered the category you are comfortable with, go ahead and watch/study some vitals tutorials on that subject in order to improve your skill/enhance your creativity.
  3. Create an avatar/logo and have a uniform preview that will distinguish your work from other authors. Try to add item description including other information on your preview. This will enable the buyers to understand the use of your item.
  4. Try not to be jack of all trade. Concentrate on that very category(s) you like and your goal should be to dominate it and reach out to the needs of buyers.
  5. The most important part is to have inner peace while creating your item. Don't rush it. Be honest about your item and make sure you establish a style that buyers can indentify from a distance that it is your work.
  6. Be cautious/conscious of the title you give to your items. It really do help to sell your work.
  7. Be proud of your work. Once buyers recognize that, they will be enticed to check it out/purchase and if they like what they got, they will come back for more.
  8. Be sure to deliver excellent support and be soft with your response. This is very important because they will love you for it and will buy many of your works just to support you (even though they don't need it that urgent).
  9. Use as many relevant tags as possible and properly name your preview file.
  10. And don't forget to crack your brain and discover many great ideas that will be useful to many buyers and help facilitate their workflow.

I hope you find this helpful :).

In addition: Chris and Mike’s comments are helpful too.

What can I say Mr. Brown, a very helpful response. I will keep all of this in mind and I appreciate your effort. Soon I will send a request to change my username, create a .com, make a brand and start doing things like I’m used to.

Thank you so much!

Really useful thread for newbies like me, thanks for starting it Radu, and thanks to all you expert contributors.
I think that as you were a customer, Radu, you will have a good idea of what customers actually want, which is a useful thing to know. Me, coming from a different artistic field, I haven’t really got a clue what designers really need. I can imagine what they might need, but it’s guesswork :wink:
Looking at what sells is obviously useful, but many of the best selling items are over two years old at least so it is hard to know what is in demand at the moment. other than mock ups and flyers which are not my thing at all. . .

JBurgessDesign said

Really useful thread for newbies like me, thanks for starting it Radu, and thanks to all you expert contributors.
I think that as you were a customer, Radu, you will have a good idea of what customers actually want, which is a useful thing to know. Me, coming from a different artistic field, I haven’t really got a clue what designers really need. I can imagine what they might need, but it’s guesswork :wink:
Looking at what sells is obviously useful, but many of the best selling items are over two years old at least so it is hard to know what is in demand at the moment. other than mock ups and flyers which are not my thing at all. . .

Most of the top selling items are crap, so I think you should give it a thought on what are you gonna sell. Crap items, or good items that can provide you a strong name in the community where people will come back for some more of your good designs.

What you shouldn’t do, in my opinion, do not copy the style of a top selling authors, that doesn’t mean they are skilled. Anyway, if your are doing this just for money then be a Lady Gaga, sing crap and the world will kiss your ass.

Good luck.

making good stuff that nobody buys seems to be where I’m headed :wink: I’ll see how it all goes. .

JBurgessDesign said

making good stuff that nobody buys seems to be where I’m headed :wink: I’ll see how it all goes. .

I’m in the same situation, but time will tell. You keep on working, and the rest will come.

Very helpful tipps & tricks. Thank you.

wow this is very helpful sir for I am a new author here. You can check my portfolio http://graphicriver.net/user/ikkeaviy/portfolio :slight_smile:

muzikizum said

Very helpful tipps & tricks. Thank you.

You sold between 10000 and 50000 dollars, looks that you don’t need this tips and tricks. You are doing great :smiley:

ikkeaviy said

wow this is very helpful sir for I am a new author here. You can check my portfolio http://graphicriver.net/user/ikkeaviy/portfolio :slight_smile:

Good luck, ikkeaviy.

Seraphim and Mike , best advice !

This thread motivated me… I was down with the sales rate going down last two months and from today onward I’m gonna work for a new plan

Radu3329 said
ikkeaviy said

Good luck, ikkeaviy.

Thanks!

Very good advice. Very helpful subject

I’m also starting, thanks for the motivation