Question about regular/extended license

Let’s consider this scenario:

Person A makes a JS framework.
Person B buys it and wants to build a product using that framework, and he wants to sell that product on CodeCanyon.

Does person B have to buy the extended license in order to do this, or the regular license? Once again, the product from person A is a framework, that is build so others can make use of it - for commercial products or not.

An extended license is required. A regular license entitles you to a single use (whether that use is commercial or personal, it doesn’t matter), and does not give you the right to redistribute. The extended license is also single-use, but allows you to incorporate the work into a larger work for sale.

Note there are exceptions that the extended license does not cover. For example, you can’t buy an extended version of a jQuery plugin and create a WordPress version of it for sale on CodeCanyon (without the author’s consent).

See answer below.

Thanks for the answer, I guess that’s good news for me. I was planning to be person “A” :slight_smile:

Cheers

Haha you’re welcome :slight_smile:

[answer removed pending question to lawyer]

LanceSnider said

You couldn’t buy a slider here and use it in a ThemeForest template. That’s just not fair to author A. :slight_smile:

If that’s the case, I think this language is very confusing. Perhaps I’m missing something?

I thought that was the whole purpose of the extended license - to incorporate a product into a larger Work?

LanceSnider said

You couldn’t buy a slider here and use it in a ThemeForest template. That’s just not fair to author A. :slight_smile:

It looks like currently this is not something reviewers aware of. From my recent experiences, even a javascript slider purchased (with extended license) from Codecanyon allowed to use within Codecanyon to sell as a wordpress plugin. This is something serious to resolve as with these kind of license terms, it is possible to directly compete the original author’s file (in the same marketplace) just by spending 5x price of original.

I know there are some changes in license coming, can we expect new Extended license terms in the same way you mentioned? That would be a big relief.

sevenspark said
LanceSnider said

If that’s the case, I think this language is very confusing. Perhaps I’m missing something?

I thought that was the whole purpose of the extended license - to incorporate a product into a larger Work?

oh. I thought it was that too?

ie: I should be able to buy an extended licence of a slider on CodeCanyon and use that in my Wordpress Theme available for sale on Themeforest ? Or is that incorrect?

This is really getting frustrating! I don’t understand anything anymore. What’s the point of the extended license if you can’t use it to build bigger items (buy slider on CC to use it on a theme on TF). It’s really not cool that Envato has kept us in the dark for so long. We really need some straight, honest answers that are official and not “I think it’s like this but it’s just my opinion”.

Edit: if it turns out that you can’t buy a slideron CC to use on TF then there are quite a few items that have to be removed from TF :frowning:

Did extended license rules get changed? as I know there are many ThemeForest items that use components/plugins that are sold in CodeCanyon, an author once ask and I give permission because I thought that was okay with extended license :S

Sorry for all the confusion. I need to get back with the lawyer to verify. Once we’re 100% sure what it’s supposed to be, we’ll make the necessary changes.

LanceSnider said

Sorry for all the confusion. I need to get back with the lawyer to verify. Once we’re 100% sure what it’s supposed to be, we’ll make the necessary changes.

I don’t know why this thread transitioned to a discussion about sliders in general, instead of slider frameworks, which was my original question. Since my project is already in the queue for review, I guess I can now give you an example of what framework exactly I am talking about: http://www.nikolaydyankov.com/codecanyon/sliderjs/

So my question is - what can buyers do with the regular license, and what can they do with the extended license?

^ Should’t that comply with same license terms applied for usual sliders? In this case, the term “framework” has same meaning with “multiple variations” from buyer’s perspective, which doesn’t makes any difference. I say this because we already have many framework kind of sliders/galleries in the marketplaces with same license terms as usual sliders. The only difference is 2-3 dollar increment in price and better sales numbers than limited option sliders :wink:

An end user here with a question about licenses. As I understand it the regular licence is for installation on a single site. Once it’s installed can the code be uninstalled and moved to a different site (both sites owned by me).

The extended license is a morass of legal terms. I’ve read over the extend license terms and it seems that it is okay to incorporate the purchased code into a theme to be sold multiple times. It also appears that, like the regular license, installation on one site only is permitted.

There are buyers out there that assume an extended license allows for multiple installations on sites that they either own or control, which simply is not true–at least as I read the license terms.

I understand the need legalize, but hey, we buyers are not all lawyers nor should we be expected to consult with one in order to abide by the terms of sale.

The unanswered question is what if the code is to be used on multiple sites. It’s only fair to the developer that they be rewarded for their efforts. Unfortunately CodeCanyon forces end users to either buy multiple copies (at full price) or look for another resource to do the same task. I’d like to suggest that end users be encouraged to buy multiple regular license on a repeat buyer plan. The way it would work is that the first sale would be at the regular price and each additional purchase–of the same item–be at a reduced rate, say, something like half-price. Otherwise, end buyers with web sites that number from a handful to 100+ will look elsewhere.

Another possibility is that after five regular licenses have been purchased–for the same item–the account is automatically converted to free multiple installs. That way the end user is encouraged to buy as needed knowing that once the item has been purchased five times additional installs will be free of charge. The developer will retain buyers. Envato also gains by having repeat customers.

The take away is that Envato’s current policy discourages buyers who need multiple installations from buying here and instead pushes them to look elsewhere for a similar product.

I don’t understand if I buy the product (ex.: game) with Regular License and customize it, Can I to put (gratis) in the google play?

marty84 said

I don’t understand if I buy the product (ex.: game) with Regular License and customize it, Can I to put (gratis) in the google play?

If it’s an Android App and you are not sharing the code (just the app itself, which can also be paid), then I think the answer would be yes, you can.

Sorry for bringing this old topic back, but I still do not understand how an extended license work.

As VF said:

it is possible to directly compete the original author’s file (in the same marketplace) just by spending 5x price of original.

Is this actually correct? So for example if the regular license fee for my plugin on CodeCanyon is $25, someone can buy my plugin for $125 (5 x $25) and sell it in a theme bundle on ThemeForest for $30?

onokazu said

if the regular license fee for my plugin on CodeCanyon is $25, someone can buy my plugin for $125 (5 x $25) and sell it in a theme bundle on ThemeForest for $30?

Only if you give that author permissions to do so. See here:

@dtbaker Thanks!