Protecting your Theme by Activation Codes/License Keys

This was a reply to previous discussion abut this. It’s on old forums so I can’t link directly to the individual post and the thread was quite long but as I understand it at least… (happy to be proved wrong).

- Several big authors are already using opt-in auto updates, one-click demo installation etc. This is because it is the safest and easiest way.

- The biggest issue: Forced registration makes sense BUT is actually a huge shake up of how envato works & will mean entirely new policies, agreements, licenses, for both buyers, authors, data, legal etc.

- While less experienced buyers might not care, those who understand the change would be hugely deterred from – far from just because they have something to hide.

- What ‘clients’ of these developers are going to be ok with their site being tracked by a random 3rd party?

- The countless potential data, hacking, security etc. issues

- Right or not we all know ‘developers’ build sites on one server then transfer to a client. What if there is an upgrade whilst initially developing? If they have registered then when they move the file the ‘client’ on the new domain won’t be able to have them?

- Legally (in the EU), while many sites don’t properly adhere to it there are several laws around tracking, cookies etc. on websites that would be impacted by the idea

- Privacy laws differ quite dramatically from region to region so it would be VERY hard to have a one size fits all rule

Again in no way do I condone buyers taking the piss with licenses but just like with a few things that frustrate people here – there normally is a good reason & envato are experts in what they do.

Personally I would be happy if there was a less intrusive way to achieve enforcing the licenses but unfortunately whatever is done (just like pirate copies etc.) it rarely takes long for the less scrupulous people to find a way around it and sometimes we just have to accept it.

Hope that makes sense

3 Likes