opinions on this orchestral library? (and easter special)

i have the eastwest symphonic orchestra (as well as old miroslav stuff), but looking to augment.

this seems kinda interesting to me for a cheap library - any thoughts, orchestral dudes? i like that it comes with some extras i don’t have like choir, etc. also, this weekend if you purchase you get the digital synstations for free, which, though maybe not super useful, reminds me of my youth haha.

http://www.uvi.net/en/orchestral-composer/orchestral-suite.html

eventually would love to get the audiobro stuff, but since i don’t really do much orchestral stuff i don’t wanna plunk down the cash right now…

To be honest - the promo song doesn’t sound amazing in my opinion, which is a bad sign. I don’t see how you can get a good orchestral library in under 5 gigs. I might be wrong, but I am skeptical.

I think this might be great if you want to do basic stuff and mix it with non-orchestral sounds, but I doubt this product will be an answer to all your needs if you are doing orchestral music.

Tyler_River said

To be honest - the promo song doesn’t sound amazing in my opinion, which is a bad sign. I don’t see how you can get a good orchestral library in under 5 gigs. I might be wrong, but I am skeptical.

I think this might be great if you want to do basic stuff and mix it with non-orchestral sounds, but I doubt this product will be an answer to all your needs if you are doing orchestral music.

I agree for the most part.
I was interested in it too, but upon listening to the demo I didn’t think it was impressive.
I will say however, that there is a certain charm to the sound of the samples. It has a unique character. It just doesn’t seem like there is a large enough pool of samples to be a convincing as an orchestral library in its own right As mentioned above, I also think it could be great for adding a basic orchestral sound to hip hop, pop, or other genres, but to stand by itself as an orchestral library, I think it would be difficult.
Maybe even layering with other orchestra libraries or having small parts within a composition?

Sorry, about the Easter Special. I was thinking of buying something cheap and then just get the Digital Synsations. It’s 199 USD regularly.
But if you are not going to use the Digital Synsations and have any questions about the usability of the orchestra library, then I wouldn’t go for it. I’m sure you have more spending money than me, but I have been learning that you should only buy stuff that you really need. Otherwise you accumulative gigs and gigs of Samples, VST, and Kontakt instruments that just sit and collect binary dust :slight_smile:

My tip would be Orchestral Essentials (1&2) by ProjectSam.
https://www.projectsam.com/Products/Essentials-Series/

It’s not as cheap as $199.00 but its top quality and covers a large range and seems ideal for people like you who don’t do mainly Orchestral stuff but at the same time want professional quality when they need it.

If you don’t have the close mic(?) for east west ( gold, platinum) I would start with that. It’ll make difference.

I’ve been using Miroslav Philharmonik for over two years now and these samples sound like they are from the same library.

While it may not be up there with the best (and ipso facto most expensive) Orchestral samples, for purely orchestral (non-commercial) sequencing and the like e.g. for College projects or for hobbyist composers/sequencers, it does the job nicely.

Before I started to do more composing, one of my hobbies was doing midi mock-ups of my favourite classical/film orchestral pieces. This would be perfect for that type of activity, especially if you are on a budget.

thanks, guys! yeah, i pretty much had the same feeling about the demos, that they were a little underwhelming. i had that thought, too, @Tyler_River, about them being quite useable in other genres, and i agree, @Gae7 about their general sound and usefulness, so perhaps it’s a bit silly to get a new library when i have a bunch of others already…

that being said, @Erick_McNerney, as you said there is some kind of charm about them that is making me consider it (and why i started this thread). and i know it’s silly to be suckered in by the nostalgia for those other synths, but i used to own an m3r (my first module ever), an sy77, and i always coveted but never had a d50…if it had a proteus 2000 emulation in there, i would have already bought it, haha!

@stephanlindsjo, i do have the close mics and mix that in all the time - i agree it is night and day with them. i guess the problem for me is as good as this library can sound (especially the percussion, woodwinds and some of the lower brass), the strings especially (to me) lack a bit of that “character” i wish it had. i also hate how long load times can be and the lack of the legato feel that a library like audiobro has.

thanks for the suggestion, @GuidoNegraszus, i’ll definitely check out the demos asap, though at those prices, i would probably consider just getting some of the audiobro strings and forgetting about the other sections for now (judgement to be reserved till i hear the demos of course!)

thanks again guys! and any more opinions much appreciated before the weekend ends :slight_smile:

Spitfire has intro price now on bml ensamble strings

Mediocre at best (UVI Orchestral Suite I mean). Much cheaper I got the Cakewalk Dimension LE + Garritan Pocket Orchestra. At least there you have really good sounding woodwinds.

Also, orchestral sounds included in Kontakt library are not bad, just a little limited on the versatility side; choirs too. Moreover Logic have a big collection too; combining all of them you should be pretty covered.
Btw, only the platinum eastwest orhestra has the close miking samples.

Otherwise I’d be for a real step up like PojectSam, Lass. Spitfire or others in that range.

EdC_arts said

Also, orchestral sounds included in Kontakt library are not bad, just a little limited on the versatility side; choirs too. Moreover Logic have a big collection too; combining all of them you should be pretty covered.
Btw, only the platinum eastwest orhestra has the close miking samples.

Otherwise I’d be for a real step up like PojectSam, Lass. Spitfire or others in that range.

The Kontakt library has some gems, but for the most part I think the library sounds dated. I mean, that library is amazing in terms of value, but unless you use the samples in the optimal ways, they sound cheap and dated. The exceptions are the harp and celesta in the Kontakt factory library, which are awesome. Also the horn ensemble sits in a mix quite well and you can get a lot out of the upright bass in the “band” section.

thanks again everyone, i’m finding out about a lot of libraries i wasn’t aware of!

Hey, just found this deal!!