New Feature: Video Previews on Rollover

Congratulations to the entire team at Envato for a job well done! :slight_smile:

Finally, yes!!! I like more dynamic than before. Congratulations. I hope that in this way the buyers no longer hesitate to see these previews and buy more.

Fast and accurate. I like it! :slight_smile:

Quick question for staff… Will we be able to add our own preview video in the future?

EFEKT_Studio said

Quick question for staff… Will we be able to add our own preview video in the future?

justinfrench said

As an author, can I upload my own custom hover preview that’s scaled properly instead of just being squished by the browser?

There’s no plans at this stage, but we’re likely to optimise/transcode the previews for the smaller player size in the future.

EFEKT_Studio said

Already answered :slight_smile:

justinfrench said

As an author, can I upload my own custom hover preview that’s scaled properly instead of just being squished by the browser?

There’s no plans at this stage, but we’re likely to optimise/transcode the previews for the smaller player size in the future.

Edit: Beaten to it! Thanks, @DOGmotion.

Very good news! Thanks for finally implementing this in our marketplace <3!

Oh and a quick question: What if my actual video preview starts with dark screen and some info. Will i be able to select which part of video preview i want it to be shown in rollover?

motionvids said

Wooohhhoooo!! Thanks guys, I think this was the most awaited feature for VideoHivers in the past 4 years. And I’m really glad to see it implemented. :slight_smile:

I do have to say one thing. I don’t want to ruin the party or anything I just want something to not go unnoticed.

It took 4 years to get it done. And the thing that still bothers me is that there was never an official word from Envato on this. Throughout the last year me and some others have done countless of kind requests to give us any official word on whether we could expect video rollovers or not. There was never a single word uttered by the Staff. Even some of our Moderators and Reviewers have tried to get any message out of the staff. A simple: “We’re currently not in the position to work on this” would have done the trick. But leaving us in total dark for 1 to 2 years (as long as I am a member here) has left a bit of a sour taste for me at least.

I have the feeling that only after some of us had pointed to an (awesome) AudioJungle user’s Chrome plugin which did video rollovers and was created within 2 hours, things started to get noticed by Envato. Correct me if I’m wrong though but it really now seems this way. If creating a highly requested feature yourself first is what it takes to be noticed by Envato, I foresee no good future of feature implementation here on VideoHive ;).

Don’t get me wrong I’m really happy this finally got implemented (-> :smiley: <-). Only the sudden surprice act: “we’ve got a new feature” didn’t really work for me since there was totally no communication and transparency regarding this feature over the last years. It’s more like: “Hey, we knew about it all this time, we just couldn’t bother to tell you anything about it”. Well that is okay, but because of that I now know that in the future I will never ask or suggest anything regarding any new feature again. It just feels a bit useless now.

Hope I’m not the party pooper here so I want to close of with a happy note! Again I want to say thank you for implementing this and I really think it is a great addition to the marketplace! :D:D

Hey motionvids,

Thanks for raising this, it’s a great question. Over the years we’ve tried a few different approaches to talking to the community about upcoming features and plans with different levels of success. Once upon a time we acknolwedged everything that came up, that we had planned it, and often that we optimistically thought it would come out in the nearish future. There was a phrase we used to use which eventually became a bit of a forum meme - “In the pipeline”! Ah the dreaded pipeline. It didn’t help that we were often under resourced for everything we were trying to do, so things tended to take way longer than anyone (including staff) ever thought they would or should.

Then in the last couple of years we moved to saying very little about what was coming up, with some variation (some times we’d talk about things that were in active development, but not always). This meant less disappointment in some ways and we concentrated on shipping more.

This year I’m trying a different approach, and have published a 2014 Marketplace Roadmap which isn’t a defined roadmap exactly, but more of an indication of the areas on which we are working. I’m hoping this will give the inbetween of some insight into the kinds of problems we’re focusing on, without making too many promises.

We’ll see how it goes!!! Hope that explains a bit more. Rollover previews were indeed ‘in the pipeline’ for a long, long, long time. When we started the build a few months ago we also thought it would be quite a quick deploy, but it’s needed to be built very robustly and has taken a while. But I’m very excited that it’s out and about!! :slight_smile:

I really don’t like the new update :frowning: … It makes the preview photos useless and forces you to watch the preview video… It makes searching super slow and annoying

Wynio said

I really don’t like the new update :frowning: … It makes the preview photos useless and forces you to watch the preview video… It makes searching super slow and annoying

Seriously?.. How does it make searching super slow?

Wynio said

I understand where you are coming from. The solution would be to have the preview photo at the beginning of your preview video for a 1-2 seconds.

It doesn’t work now?
It work’s fine today’s morning, but now i dont see video preview on mouse hover.

vaynah said
Wynio said

I understand where you are coming from. The solution would be to have the preview photo at the beginning of your preview video for a 1-2 seconds.

Yes, that is a very good idea :slight_smile:

"Seriously?.. How does it make searching super slow?"
DOGmotion, I mean like when you browse through files you can get a pretty nice idea of what happens in the project from preview photos, without having to watch the entire video :slight_smile:
And If you got a slow internet connection (like I do sometimes) It is really frustrating to wait for the video to load :slight_smile:

Wynio said

Yes, that is a very good idea :slight_smile:

"Seriously?.. How does it make searching super slow?"
DOGmotion, I mean like when you browse through files you can get a pretty nice idea of what happens in the project from preview photos, without having to watch the entire video :slight_smile:
And If you got a slow internet connection (like I do sometimes) It is really frustrating to wait for the video to load :slight_smile:

Every time waiting for the video 1-2 seconds.... it is too boring. IMHO.
For me image gives very less information. Yes, I can quickly understand that the project is horrible or not. But I can understand the same thing when I watch 1-2 sec video.

Also when video is loading I see image preview. Do you see? So there is no problem of internet connection.

And one more thing... You can put any image in the beginning of the video, so there is no problem. :)

wish Bhuval had bought emvato sooner! :smiley:

long waited awesome feature finally added, thanks envato :slight_smile:

but i think the preview images will give a lot more information while browsing quickly, considering many authors have added some intro to their video previews of their items … sometimes you have to wait like 10 seconds for the main preview to start … isn’t it possible to have both of them? i mean two popup at the same time, one for preview image, one for the video!

MHF said

wish Bhuval had bought emvato sooner! :smiley:

long waited awesome feature finally added, thanks envato :slight_smile:

but i think the preview images will give a lot more information while browsing quickly, considering many authors have added some intro to their video previews of their items … sometimes you have to wait like 10 seconds for the main preview to start … isn’t it possible to have both of them? i mean two popup at the same time, one for preview image, one for the video!

That is excatly the point, there are hundreds of videopreviews that have a very long introduction with some text on a black background… Those are ok if you know that there is something to wait for :slight_smile:
But this is just my opinion, I can see that most of the authors are thrilled about this update and majority rules :slight_smile:

Wynio said

That is excatly the point, there are hundreds of videopreviews that have a very long introduction with some text on a black background… Those are ok if you know that there is something to wait for :slight_smile:
But this is just my opinion, I can see that most of the authors are thrilled about this update and majority rules :slight_smile:

For this we need controls to scrub the video. For example right / left arrows on keyboard. It’s 100% better than another rectangle with useless static image near the video.

\W/O\W/ || /A\WESOME ||
Dreaming to be superfast like youtube too :smiley:

I think authors will adjust to this new feature. Some people tend to do intros to their videos because when someone watched the preview, he was already interested in the file, as he had to click on the item page and on the play button.

Now authors might change that behaviour and start their videos right with the preview of the template, I’m not a fan of intros either.
For example, as nice as inlifethrill’s intro is, it is super annoying when you watch it more than two times a day. Didn’t cut out on his sales, though :slight_smile: