New Elements Content Opportunities feature on the Author Dashboard

Hi all!

We’ve just launched a brand-new Elements Content Opportunities feature on the Author Dashboard - designed to give you more detailed information about the kind of content that customers are looking for on Elements, and helping you to identify niches that are under-supplied, or that have increasing demand.

This feature is a major overhaul of the old “Trends and Insights” tab, which previously showed you top search terms for the last 28 days. The new version gives you significantly more data on search and performance, and we’ll cover some ways to use it below.

First, check it out on your dashboard at https://author.envato.com/reports

You can learn all about the new features in the Author Help Centre HERE.

Help us to improve this feature by letting us know how you use this information: Which parts of the new report are most useful to you? Which parts are confusing? Share any feedback in this thread, and our Data team will be keeping an eye on all the comments.

That will help us to improve these reports in future, giving you information that makes it easier to decide what type of content to make next, and letting us adjust the reports and documentation to make features like this as easy to use as possible.

16 Likes

The first big change is in the filters available - letting you look at results by content type, country or region (major customer locations are listed separately, and other countries are grouped into regions), and a time range - plus, you can filter for specific search terms if neded.

e

The “based on previous” option lets you see data from the past 60 days (good for finding recently emerging trends), or across the past year. This also affects the Growth data shown below it - looking at how demand has changed across that period.

4 Likes

Key Inputs are also new to this report. This section shows the search term keywords that customers are using, the relative volume (demand) of searches for that term, and how it’s changed over time.

Increasing or decreasing growth relative to the time period you’ve selected is shown with coloured arrows, to make it easier to see the relative change of these. High growth indicates that the search term is getting more customer interest, suggesting potential opportunities for new items. However, search volume isn’t enough on its own: in some cases, there might be high demand for items that the Elements library is already oversaturated with. That’s where the other inputs come in.

Result shows a count of the number of search results available for that term, indicating how many items you’d be competing against for that customer query. Search-to-download helps refine this further, indicating how many of those searches resulted in a customer licensing one of the items they found. Even for cases where a large number of results are available, if the search-to-download ratio is low, there’s a good opportunity for new items to do a better job of meeting that customer demand, outperforming the older items.

Finally, Supply is a quick summary of all the above: it takes into consideration how much content matches a search term, and how it performs. This section’s split up into Low / Medium / High supply: if supply is low, there’s a good opportunity for new content in that niche.

I recommend taking some time to explore the new report, and compare it against any other data that you’ve been using to help prioritise what to create next. Hopefully it will be a powerful new tool to help identify the biggest areas of unmet demand, and to help understand how other customers are responding to the other content that’s already on Elements.

We’d love to hear from you about how you find the new report - first impressions or detailed questions, any feedback is very welcome :slight_smile: Let us know what you think!

4 Likes

Hi, thanks for this great update! Any idea if thumbnails are coming to the item performance page?

3 Likes

That’s some pretty cool stuff!
The “more filters” lets you really narrow down your search and it’s easy to understand the demand.
Maybe under the “based on previous” you could add a couple more timeframes? Last 7 days, 30 days…
You should add some of these features also to the Item Performance tab, like the click-to-download % of our items, and most important the lifetime earnings!

3 Likes

+1 For lifetime

There was a lifetime option but it was limited to the last 365 days. I have reported that and they have removed “lifetime” option - it was easier to remove than to make it work :slightly_frowning_face:

3 Likes

@BenLeong Hello and thank you for this cool update, it seems to be very informative and useful.

First question that arose after some time of learning the new feature - why are the search terms so different from what we had before in the old version?

For example, for audio (music) there were such search terms as “corporate”, “epic”, “rock”, “motivational music”, “hip hop” and so on. And while in the old version these terms were among the first 25 places (corporate and epic were always the 1st and the 2nd place), now these search terms are totally absent in the whole table. Why is that so?

2 Likes

The Report - first look.

One feature would be great → somewhere on this page (above for example) could be the area for something like this:

Showing the most wanted searches in past 30 days (2 month looks outdated I think…). 10 of them, or 20 … or more… some most wanted low supply list I see in my head :slight_smile:

The place where anyone can see the top of the top growing searches with low supply → the items screaming to be done NOW! :slight_smile:

Growing + low supply.

This could be for 10 most wanted searches, or for 20… the key is let people now about such searches immediately after they visit this dashboard - without searching, filtering etc.

if I went to the dashboard and saw that there is a word that has grown and there is little demand, and it is assigned to one of my categories (e.g. graphics), I would not even start searching, but start creating it right away.

So - “Most Wanted Low Supply” is my suggestion :slight_smile: Some may like this, some may hate this… consider such thing :slight_smile:

This is my first impression - I will say more when I will check whole dashboard :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The situation is very similar with Video-templates.
I guess “Background” was always first, now it’s 12th. I had the feeling that the old “Trends & Insights” was just there to be, zero up-to-date information.

I would divide Stock-Video into two categories: Motion Graphics and Stock Videos, because in my opinion one category is too little for such a huge number of files.

1 Like

By the way the new “unlimited downloads” button will drop the market sales into half atleast

2 Likes

That’s a fantastic feature. Thank you, Envato!! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Agreed.

1 Like

@BenLeong My second question is why when I choose “music” and then “03 - United kingdom” - there is only 1 search term “lofi”? When I choose “Australia” there is no any search terms at all. And this is for most of regions.

@BenLeong

So what’s really confusing now is that there’s no any top search terms at all in MUSIC category.

I can’t find “corporate”, “motivational”, “inspiring”, “uplifting”, “commercial”, “epic”, “ambient”, “pop”, “hip hop”, “dance” and so on.
Instead of it I found “coporate” - yes, the misspelled variant of “corporate”.
It doesn’t seem to show the reality correctly.

But if it is - what does that mean? Does it mean that our previous information was totally wrong? And does it mean that people on Elements now do not search for the top keywords from AudioJungle anymore?

Please, can you answer this question? Because now we have no our prevous tool and we have no any familiar guide to what to create next.

Hi all - thanks for all the questions and comments so far!

I’ll need to bring in some extra help from our analysts to dig into some of these questions - I’ll share more details for those when I can.

I can definitely answer the first one from @az_studio though. The old trends report was unfiltered, simply showing the search terms that occurred the most frequently - without any indication of how many items already matched that search. It also showed the top 25 searches just on raw numbers, while the new one takes into consideration the daily average searches.

The new report has the default “Results” setting capped at 3,000 - so it’s showing the top search terms that don’t already have over 3,000 items available. You can change that via the More Filters button, which allows you to adjust the upper limit for that filter. That will show a list that’s closer to the older report.

This is related to the default settings above - when searching in a specific region you may need to adjust the Results filter to pick up more search terms.

@Rickyloca The current “based on previous” filters have been picked as they’re a good balance between responsiveness and noise. They’re both used a bit differently for the Growth section:

• Last 60 days shows you performance for that search across the last 7 days, relative to the last 2 months. This view is useful for seeing emerging or short-term trends that may be missed across a longer time span.
  • Last 365 days shows performance for that search from the last 30 days, relative to the previous year. This one’s designed to show bigger trends, and annual or seasonal demand.

A “Last 7 days” filter isn’t likely to provide much useful information, as it would probably compare the last 24hrs against the previous week. That would fluctuate wildly depending on which day you checked the dashboard, and risks making very short-term variation look more important than it should.

1 Like

Does Envato have any plans to implement something like this in the Marketplaces(themeforest)? If yes, is there a roadmap. If not, why not? This is a helpful research feature & should overall help both Envato & Authors grow.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for this clarification! :+1:

1 Like

My suggestions now are:

1. to make this rough unfiltered trends view (what we had before) on a separate page, or section below a new tool, because it also gives some vector of what to create next.
  2. to be able to choose “low + middle” (multiple parameters) in “Supply” filter (and others as well)
  3. to have a column of absolute “Demand” near the relative one.