Mackie or KRK studio monitors? Please advise me!

Hey everyone!

Very sorry for the long message. I really want to explain my situation clearly so you guys can help me :slight_smile:

So, I’m planning to get back to music composing and return to my AudioJungle privileges as an author, but I’d like to boost my quality of music first of all by enhancing the equipment I was previously using. Despite the fact that I’m on a budget, I’m looking to get new, studio-quality headphones, microphone, etc… but my first choice of equipment is new studio monitors.

That’s where I am a bit uncertain because I had previously read a lot of awesome reviews on KRK Rokit monitors, and this series of monitors was what I was going for: http://www.krksys.com/krk-studio-monitor-speakers/rokit/rokit-8.html

But this week, when I contacted what is regarded as Ghana’s biggest music equipment shop, one of the shop’s top attendant explained to me that KRK Rokit monitors were easy to disappoint, and the shop had received bad reviews from some music producers, who complained that the sound produced by the KRK monitors wasn’t as neutral as they had expected it to be. The shop eventually stopped selling KRK monitors.

He then recommended that I try their new partner’s products, which happens to be Mackie monitors. He says they will soon be having MRmk3 Series monitors, and that whilst there were a lot of factors that could be taken into consideration to review their performance, they were basically excellent monitors.

http://www.mackie.com/products/studiomonitors/

I need your help guys… In Ghana, shipping products can be a tough task, so the only option left for me now is primarily Mackie monitors, including MR8 and MR5 monitors. Should I go for them? Do you have experience with Mackie monitors? Can you tell me the advantages/disadvantages of KRK Rokit monitors and Mackie MR8/MR5 monitors?

I’m going to be using them in a room probably 5 x 5 x 3.5 meters in dimension. Please advise me! THANKS!

IsaacA said

Hey everyone!

Very sorry for the long message. I really want to explain my situation clearly so you guys can help me :slight_smile:

So, I’m planning to get back to music composing and return to my AudioJungle privileges as an author, but I’d like to boost my quality of music first of all by enhancing the equipment I was previously using. Despite the fact that I’m on a budget, I’m looking to get new, studio-quality headphones, microphone, etc… but my first choice of equipment is new studio monitors.

That’s where I am a bit uncertain because I had previously read a lot of awesome reviews on KRK Rokit monitors, and this series of monitors was what I was going for: http://www.krksys.com/krk-studio-monitor-speakers/rokit/rokit-8.html

But this week, when I contacted what is regarded as Ghana’s biggest music equipment shop, one of the shop’s top attendant explained to me that KRK Rokit monitors were easy to disappoint, and the shop had received bad reviews from some music producers, who complained that the sound produced by the KRK monitors wasn’t as neutral as they had expected it to be. The shop eventually stopped selling KRK monitors.

He then recommended that I try their new partner’s products, which happens to be Mackie monitors. He says they will soon be having MRmk3 Series monitors, and that whilst there were a lot of factors that could be taken into consideration to review their performance, they were basically excellent monitors.

http://www.mackie.com/products/studiomonitors/

I need your help guys… In Ghana, shipping products can be a tough task, so the only option left for me now is primarily Mackie monitors, including MR8 and MR5 monitors. Should I go for them? Do you have experience with Mackie monitors? Can you tell me the advantages/disadvantages of KRK Rokit monitors and Mackie MR8/MR5 monitors?

I’m going to be using them in a room probably 5 x 5 x 3.5 meters in dimension. Please advise me! THANKS!

Hi , my friend runs a small pro studio and he uses Mackie monitors(the big ones with 10 or 12 inch drivers). All i can say is to me they sound amazing.

simonleng said

Hi , my friend runs a small pro studio and he uses Mackie monitors(the big ones with 10 or 12 inch drivers). All i can say is to me they sound amazing.

Thanks for the feedback! Does anyone have anything else to add? I really want to make a superb choice there…

I find both brands sound unnatural. Electronic music guys love the KRK monitors more ( I think the low end sounds artificial ). I tried the previous version of the Mackie HR824 monitors years ago… I remember that I didn’t like the colored sound but I didn’t try the new upgraded ones. I use Adam monitors and I really like them. Monitor choice may differ from person to person… room treatment is more impoortant.

Good luck :slight_smile:

I instantly prefered the Mackies when I compared a bunch of studio monitors here in Germany. They have a bit more bass and also lowered highs. IMO not completely neutral. I agree with NoizMan, room treatment is also a big point.