(Locked) InDesign to PSD?

Some times buyers ask me if I have a PSD file of my InDesign brochures. But I don’t know if it is possible to convert these files in PSD and keep them editable. Has anybody a solution?

For me, no solution.
Indesign and photoshop are completly different.

I’ve also had the same problem. A while ago I found a solution, you need to export to EPS (or PDF, I’m not quite sure now), and then open it with Photoshop. That should preserve layers, but never worked for me, so if you find a working solution, post it here please :slight_smile:

I’ve found some tuts, but I think they only work with 1 or 2 pages. It seems that you have to put all objects on a separate layer. This means a lot of additional work. No solution for me :slight_smile:

I don’t think there really is a solution for this. PS and ID are very different programs in the way they work. Also, a lot of the things you can create and do in Indesign, you can’t (or won’t work) in Photoshop - and vice versa.

I have created a few flyers as both Indesign and Photoshop versions - but it’s really a lot of extra work. What I did, was create the flyer in Indesign, export it as a PDF, then open it in Photoshop, and use it as a faded out background to do the design once more on top of, in Photoshop.

So I created everything again in Photoshop, with the PDF as a help guide in the background. I really can’t think of any easier way to do this… anyone?

||+710693|simon-cph said-|| I don't think there really is a solution for this. PS and ID are very different programs in the way they work. Also, a lot of the things you can create and do in Indesign, you can't (or won't work) in Photoshop - and vice versa.

I have created a few flyers as both Indesign and Photoshop versions - but it’s really a lot of extra work. What I did, was create the flyer in Indesign, export it as a PDF, then open it in Photoshop, and use it as a faded out background to do the design once more on top of, in Photoshop.

So I created everything again in Photoshop, with the PDF as a help guide in the background. I really can’t think of any easier way to do this… anyone?

I think you are right. But I wanted to make sure, that this isn't really possible, before I tell it to my buyer. This was not the first time that somebody asked me to send him/her a PSD file of my InDesign brochures. And it also could have been that a lot of authors know how to convert it, but I not :-)

Demorfoza & simon-cph are right - I use the same solution for making a PS + ID version. Lots of differencies between these two applications - they have different purpose in overall. Conversions take a lot of time, but they are worth it. I have also received many emails from users “is there any chance to convert this item into PS/IN version” :slight_smile:

I think it is possible but depend of the content. One of my item here was designed in Illustrator then I move the content to InDesign and at the end into the Photoshop but everything was made by the hand (Copy-paste method). I think there is no automated way to do this.
Generally it’s not so hard if you know well those softwares, but moving stuff where is a lot of text from InDesign to Photoshop is meaningless due to the InDesign’s great tools for text and really poor typographic tools in Photoshop. If you have just short parts of text I think it’s ok.

i first create in indesign and than i recreate everything in photoshop… no solution unfortunately…

andre28 said

i first create in indesign and than i recreate everything in photoshop… no solution unfortunately…

Yeap, this is the right order in this conversion.

Just as Andre said. And env1ro has right as well regarding the order. Because the opposite way you might get trouble with some things.

Thank you all for your help. Now I know it exactly! :slight_smile:

Sometimes the following method works:

1. Copy content from InDesign to Photoshop —> 2. Place it as smart object —> 3. Double click the smart object to launch it in Illustrator —> 4. Now fix issues if there are some (e.g. text layers) —> 5. Export as PSD including editable (text-)layers

Et voilà. :slight_smile:

Interesting! Thank you for that advice :slight_smile: