Introducing “Music Kits” on AudioJungle

After months of behind the scenes activity and top secret testing, we’re very excited to announce the brand new Music Kits category on AudioJungle in Envato Market!

Music Kits are a uniquely flexible and ready-to-use music offering that provides fully produced, professional music in an easy to work with, modular way.

Read our full announcement on the Inside Envato blog.

9 Likes

Nice! Very exciting! Gonna have to give this a try!

This is great!! Giving a customer chance to adapt the arragment to project and some more coin to us :smiley:

1 Like

Very good news indeed! If you’re willing to do it on every song in your portfolio it might be no less than a nightmare…
But if you choose to do it on your bestsellers (I think I’ll do that) and set a fast workflow, It might give us good chances of raising our sales.

If anybody already tried, could you share how you did it? Was it difficult to cut midi and/or audio tracks for every section?

Great news and the Kit looks amazing !

For authors interested in learning more about Music Kits and how to make them:

1 Like

Thanks, it’s great feature!

Just to make it clear: right now I see this as a way to add variations to your tracks and finally get paid for that - am I correct? Not any kind of variations, of course, but the ones that follow the guidelines. For instance, trailer music creators would definitely benefit from this. Long story short, if we want to add variations, from now on it’s better to do via music kits, rather than attaching free versions to the main item.

So this “Music Kit” is a music pack for a single track, Need to see the free file first.

Hey @WorldBeyond, I would say they both have their place and serve different purposes. Ultimately regular music items will always be fixed-length in nature, while Music Kits on the other hand are completely modular.

If you simply want to provide buyers with an instrumental version of a vocal song, or a few shorter commercial edits, I would certainly recommend continuing to do so in your regular music items. Creating an entire Music Kit out of your song just to provide an instrumental track or shorter edit would be a bit overkill.

Additionally, building out all of the individual song sections into a highly usable, practical Music Kit can be a pretty intensive process, and keep in mind that not all music tracks will ultimately work well as a Music Kit and could be a challenge to create in this modular way. Of course, the end result also provides much more flexibility and options for buyers than a regular music item.

So I definitely think there is a time and place for both.

3 Likes

Is this more or less creating a Construction Kit out of our music for the media creator? I guess I’m not 100% sure what is or is not to be included in the kits. As an example, I often have several different arrangements of a track, with different instrumentation. Could I provide all of the various instrument takes as stems in the music kit? So the buyer could take out the trumpet, add the flute, or take out the cimbalon and add a zither (just examples). Is that an example of something that works?
Does it need to have variations on the ending too? Or can I just have several different instrumental arrangements to choose from? (as described above)
I have a feeling I don’t really understand exactly what’s going on.
I would love to see/hear some specific examples.

Thanks for the update Eric.

I would like to congratulate all of the authors contributing to creating music kits for adding yet another nail in the coffin for the music business. Although I understand it is a ‘good idea’ in the sense you are giving your clients more options when putting music to picture, you are also:

• Facilitating the process of illegal remixing of your own music by letting people use your acapellas and stems
  • Rendering digital fingerprinting of your work useless - yes, I asked a companies like AdRev about this and for the most part your separated stems will not be identifiable on their own and largely because the parts are too short to be considered for their programmes or the technology cannot match parts that are mixed together differently i.e. you can’t match a morphing fingerprint.
  • Lowering the price of what people are willing to pay for separating out parts (yes, even $39 is too low for this kind of work)
  • Reducing the rates one can charge for revision work here now that you’ve set a new standard

By providing a kit of parts to the public, you are willingly selling a bunch of extra work for just $21 extra on the list price of a single track and people will be able to mix and match to make their own music (particularly if they match by bpm).

Also, whereas before when applying plugins to a track you could hear the original or it was just plain hard to hide what the original track was, now, people will be able to take rhythmic parts, melodic elements and anything else offered in the pack and do what they wish with it.

And what is considered an original work now? If AJ was ever considering allowing PRO registrations, it will make it pretty hard to identify what that track is if it contains various parts.

So I’m sorry, but I’m really not a fan of this.

5 Likes

I agree with a lot of what you are saying here. Good points.

These Music Kits are not stem based. The sections are stand-alone, multitrack bounces and the main point of these kits is quite simply to provide flexibility of track duration.

From the Submission Requirements:

Do not include individual instrument stems intended for further mixing/layering. Again the goal of Music Kits is flexibility and ease of use, not for users to remix or recompose the song.

Hey @tacoMusic @Erick_McNerney

There are a few things I think you may be confusing here.

• Music Kits are not typical audio “Construction Kits” with individual notes, chords, loops, or other musical elements meant to be composed in a new way
  • Music Kits are not individual “Stems” with individual instrument parts meant to be layered together

Music Kits are fully composed, fully produced, fully mixed and mastered music that has been provided as easy to work with individual song sections to help fit the the pace and length of a project. The goal here is to make arranging and extending the song easy for end users, not for them to be able to or have to re-compose the music in any way.

I encourage you to have a read through the author submission requirements documentation and also to download and check out the Free File of the Month to get a better understanding of what the Music Kits are (and what they are not).

Hope this helps clarify and alleviate some of your concerns!

3 Likes

Erick, the best thing you can do is read the release notes attentively, and submission requirements articles for authors here - https://help.market.envato.com/hc/en-us/articles/205664474-Music-Kits-Submission-Requirements

Just to be clear, Music Kits don’t offer individual instrument stems; they’re not allowed. So no, you can’t swap out single instruments or change patches. That was one of the problems with the Source Files category

You can also read the Quick Start Guide https://help.market.envato.com/hc/en-us/articles/205664374-Music-Kits-Quickstart-Guide

Finally, as Eric mentioned in the announcement, you can download the free file of the month for October to see the ins and outs, the nuts and bolts on the inside.

2 Likes

Beat you to it @ADG3studios :smile:

1 Like

Yes, The Schwartz is strong with this one ^^

3 Likes

I guess I really should download those free previews to figure out what they are. I already read the release notes “attentively” and that didn’t really help much. I understood WHAT I was reading, but didn’t really understand on a conceptual level. It seems that everything that was explained in the release notes can already be provided in music tracks as a variation. Maybe this is something new to me that I need more time to digest?

Hi @EricSchwartz and @ADG3studios,

Thanks for getting back to me and clarifying the points about them not being stems. I appreciate the fact they are fully mixed mastered (and I would hope they are fully composed), but that doesn’t really take away the fact that these could be considered stems. Also doesn’t address my other points about digital fingerprinting and the potential damaging effects of removing another part of how composers make a living (i.e. custom edits, revisions etc.)

With regards to the stems vs parts argument, think about a piano track with drums / percussion and a light ambient string patch in the background. Separate out those two and you have something like a pair of stems (in a loose sense of the word) from what I can see. Here are a few other examples that could easily be remixed:

• 03_Verse1 (0:26)
  • 04_Verse1_Short (0:06)
  • 05_Verse2 (0:26)
  • 06_Verse2_NoGuitar (0:26)
  • 07_Verse2_Piano (0:26)
  • 08_Verse3 (0:26)
  • 09_Verse3_NoGuitar (0:26)
  • 10_Verse3_Piano (0:26)

What is a stem and what is a ‘section’ as @Stockwaves said? The moment you pull parts of a musical composition out of context and allow free placement of those parts (whether you call them sections or stems) you are breaking down the barrier of entry considerably for remixes and further distribution of that work in areas you probably don’t want it to end up in.

The source file projects weren’t all that popular if I remember correctly right? Maybe that was one of the reasons why? It just doesn’t sit right with me and I consider myself quite open-minded to these sorts of things. Wouldn’t it have been better to use Envato’s Studio area to position this sort of work i.e. ‘Want edits / custom fixes? Hire the composer via Envato Studio’. Instead, we really have brought the price of penny sweets down to 10 a penny.

6 Likes