Envato Market WordPress Plugin (beta)

So I need to add just github.php file inside my theme files but where should i add the premium updated plugins like visual composer, slider revolution etc. to be updated automatically also ??

So I need to add just github.php file inside my theme files but where should i add the premium updated plugins like visual composer, slider revolution etc. to be updated automatically also ??

It is not possible to update 3rd party bundled plugins via this method. You have to update them in your theme manually, then release a theme update that includes the updated bundled plugins.

Hopefully they have a better way of doing this soon

Hi
Are we still able to use the Envato Toolkit plugin to update our themes? or has this been stopped completely until you release the new version? Last time I updated the wordpress theme was December 15th 2015 and worked just fine. After that we had our website migrated to a different host server.
I have attempted to update my Wordpress theme this week but came back with the following error message:

Downloading upgrade package from the Envato API…
Download failed. Could not open handle for fopen()

Best to install the new plugin and not use the old Toolkit plugin, the old plugin will not work on all hosting accounts.

Will this plugin limit buyer’s to single installs of products and hold them to the license terms (single site license)? From what I can tell it does not, which will make it even easier for buyers to disregard the license terms.

I think it would be beneficial to connect to one or multiple item purchase codes instead of the API to get updates. This way if you’re building a site for a client, they will only see updates for their installed theme or plugins. Not for every single item you have in my own envato account. Of course this is assuming you’re buying items on your own account to use on a client site, not asking the client to buy their own items and use their API.

If it’s for a client website, and you don’t want them to have access to everything, just go to the settings page and add individual items for updates (with a token and an item id).

That’s awesome, thanks for the tip, but I’m not clear on what you mean. Go to the settings in my Envato account where the API is generated?

In the Envato Market settings area, there is an option to enter your “Personal API Key” for all items, or a “Single Item” option used for customers etc…

Screenshot:

1 Like

Nice thanks! I was still using Toolkit, so I didn’t see this before.

A few questions (Sorry late to the conversation!)

1. So this resolves the issue of not being able to transfer the file download access to ‘clients’ as it does it automatically without having to log into the original purchase account?

2. Does this track installations against licenses purchased?

3. That said I am assuming this does not prevent manual updates still though?

Thank you!

Yep just setup a token and give that token to your client, the client (or you) can add that item in the settings area.

No. But it’s possible to filter/hook into certain calls within the plugin to add some level of tracking so that updates/installs can be blocked if used more than once. I’m working on this now. Trying to tie Envato Market plugin installations into my support system so I can see a list of installed url’s (and item versions) next to an open support ticket.

Tracking has always been a bit of a “grey” area so I don’t think we’ll get an official way to do this any time soon.

Yep, they can still manually remove any installed item and manually upload a new one from the market. Or upload the new one over the top of the old one via FTP.

However there are a few problems with manual installations. If a buyer chooses their own theme/plugin folder name (i.e. uploading via FTP) then the updates will not work. There’s some talk of including a theme.json or plugin.json in market items that contains a list of info, like the envato item ID and market dependencies. This will solve the issues around custom folder names and items that get renamed on the market.

1 Like

I finally setup the Envato Market plugin, but I’m getting token/ID errors. I’m trying to enable a single item for update. I generated an API token here https://build.envato.com/create-token/ and I copied the item’s purchase code (which i assume is the item ID). But I get the error saying one or the other is incorrect.

I tried my API token on the Global OAuth option, that that worked. So I know my API token is correct. Does this mean the item ID is something other than the purchase code?

Thanks.

I think that item ID is the digit slug for the url of an item:

themeforest.net/item/xxx-wp-theme/00000000

1 Like

Yup, that was certainly it. Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

Derek, fantastic job with the plugin, it’s great! I included it in one of my themes recently and some (a handful) users reported that they got this error:

“Fatal error: Call to undefined function get_plugins() in …/github.php”

One user said the error went away when he went ahead and installed + activated the plugin. Has anyone else reported this issue to you?

This error is also reported on github. https://github.com/envato/wp-envato-market/issues/24

I’m the author of Reviewer Wordpress plugin. One of my customer tried the new Envato Market plugin, but my item is not listed in the Envato Admin page.
All the plugins and themes he purchased are listed except the Reviewer.

Is there any step I have to do to enable my item on the Envato Market plugin?

Thank you in advance

Hi evoG,

There is no step to enable your item. As long as he has the plugin installed and is logged into the correct account then the purchased item should be displayed.

If you send me his username, I’ll take a look at what’s gone wrong.

Thanks,
Andrew