Curio: Made this song from existing loops, yay or nay?

Hi there, l uploaded some material to Picosong for evaluation. Picosong is for mp3 sharing, no popups if all you do is press play and stream the audio. However, they have most definitely now starting issuing popups if you press the “Download” button, so please avoid downloading.

Moderators: if you dislike Picosong, l will be happy to try another sharing site to present these files.

Here are the two main pre-existing (i.e. not of my own creation) melodic loops l used (they were not bundled together as part of a kit, they were from different collections themselves): https://picosong.com/wXDZD/

Here is the song l made with them (many years ago now), plus various other drum loops that don’t bear mentioning: https://picosong.com/wXDZ6/

My query:

• Do you like the song?

• Do you think the song is creatively set apart from the samples? Or is this just more or less a straightforward reuse of samples with nothing really creative added?

• How is the mastering?

[- I’m aware that the gurgling bass sound is irritating btw!]

• If the song were in any way usable, how would you apply it to Envato, l mean, what prime cuts would you take and what would you use those cuts for and how, e.g. for an Ident? What part? What would you do to modify it to make it into an ident?

Please be mean if you want, l don’t mind.

I don’t intend this reply to be mean, but I will be completely honest with you with my opinion about your track (for what it’s worth).

It’s ok. The samples sound a bit dated and are poorly looped at the start (you can hear breaks in the audio). After 2 minutes, it doesn’t offer anything new musically, so it becomes repetitive.

I can’t see any real creativity here. You have taken musical and rhythmic loops that were created by someone else and patched them together to make them sound as pleasing as you could. Is there any melody or pattern of notes in this which are your own creation? Is there an instrument that has been played or notes that have been arranged by you?

To be blunt, the last thing Audio Jungle needs is another author who is unable to make original and creative contributions to an already oversaturated marketplace. The talent involved in producing fresh new music lies with the ability to come up with melodic and rhythmic ideas, and craft them into tunes that are unique; not with the ability to cut and paste audio loops in a daw. As far as I’m aware, Envato rules prohibit the use of melodic loops in a track when they are deemed to be the main hook or creative part of the track. In my opinion, accepting tracks made up of loops like this only serves to dilute the authenticity of the library.

I don’t mean to discourage you from making music, but if you wish to become an author on Audio Jungle, try coming up with your own melodies and try programming your own drum loops and see where that takes you. It’s a lot more rewarding than pasting loops together.

Funny that you post that just a few days after a thread was created about a similar subject:

@frozenjazz That was in response to somebody posting about posting actual sample construction kits made by others, which in my mind is beyond only fraud, more in the realms of clinical psychiatry!!!

Hi TJ-Audio, thank you for taking the time to reply.

I appreciate the remarks about the song.

You wrote: “To be blunt, the last thing Audio Jungle needs is another author who is unable to make original and creative contributions”

Please if you should reply again, keep it about the song not personal stuff abot the artist, you haven’t sufficient data to make a judgement about the artist from one song. The song was held up for scrutiny for a reason - it’s an example of the extreme end of my output, and it takes its cue from the thread @frozenjazz mentioned.

I truly appreciate the comments about the song though, like l said, l do want mean criticism and you delivered - so thank you for that! More of that type of criticism is welcome.

No. What l did was a little variation on the vocal hook, you may notice it further into the tune … Also, the mellotron (?) & vocoder loops came from different sources, so l think their combination earns novelty status.
but i accept your words that there is NO originality - thank you

This is being phrased as a question about the extreme end of what could be allowed (hence l posted the samples used as well). Thank you for your continued input - l need this.

Would also appreciate input about how you’d turn it into (for example) an ident … (see final parts of the OP)

Would also appreciate remarks on the mastering … whether you like the song or not :slight_smile:

Well… the song is so wierd… I would be totally unable to judge the quality of the mastering…
It is like listening to two unrelated songs at the same time… but which somehow can fit together :slight_smile:

Listening to headphones, I don’t know if there is a phase issue, but the sensation is strange, like something wrong with the stereo. The sound is never “focused”, everything seems to be “surround”, I don’t know if you see what I mean?

1 Like

Why are you trying to find out what the extreme end of what could be allowed is? Instead, why don’t you focus on making decent music that is definitely allowed?

I don’t see the point in this at all.

Read the following link which tells you what Envato’s policy is about this.

To be on the safe side, I would just refrain from using melodic audio loops altogether.

I’m not posting personal stuff. I’m stating that Audio Jungle doesn’t need any new artists who are going to upload tracks made up of audio loops like yours is.

It would be impossible to turn any part of your track into an ident for Audio Jungle because none of it is original material.

There’s a pretty straight forward answer to all this. Don’t upload tracks like this. Write good music with your own melodies and harmonies and upload those instead. And if you can’t do that, take your music somewhere where they allow you to sell tracks like this. (I’m not sure there are many legitimate places that would though.)

Well… the song is so wierd… I would be totally unable to judge the quality of the mastering…
It is like listening to two unrelated songs at the same time… but which somehow can fit together :slight_smile:

Listening to headphones, I don’t know if there is a phase issue, but the sensation is strange, like something wrong with the stereo. The sound is never “focused”, everything seems to be “surround”, I don’t know if you see what I mean?

Thanks for the feedback. Do you think it might have something to do with converting the .WAV to Joint Stereo MP3 format?

As for the sound being focused, as l recall (from about a decade ago) l think l made the beats + bass central panned. Or l hope so. I tried to be creative with the panning so you may be referring to that. I don’t think l’ll try that method anymore - l was just panning stuff for the heck of it, l cannot actually hear stereo (hearing impairment).

In future, l will just use a DAW’s native mastering suite or maybe even go pro and buy a VST to master.