Category Page Experiments

Looks like search algorithm for trending doesn’t work properly,

For example item last updated on 12 March 18 with 21 sales at top 5 in real estate category ?!

@jamesgiroux I noticed some issues here. As you see, typing “blog” or “furniture” getting pretty much same results, and it shows “sorted as highest rated” - but on drop-down it’s different (shows best match - it should be selected best rated)

Example 1 :

Example2 :

How long will last this experiment? You will come back for standard sorting items? There is no sense to release new items because them has no exposure. I’ll wait an answer from you guys. Thanks

11 Likes

This isn’t working, clearly.

1 Like

When will this experiment end?

Hey All. Thanks for your comments and feedback. I’m putting together some responses and hope to have that completed soon.

7 Likes

I think the Category layout is outdated. What you are currently doing is not the right way! Please take a look at https://play.google.com/store/apps

See how Google present the category - https://play.google.com/store/apps/category/GAME

This is what you guys at Envato should do with the Category page. No need to reinvent the wheel.

6 Likes

this is once again a very bad move … and the great majority of authors are going to suffer from this, unfortunately, as almost every single new introduction from envato, i might add … hence the big protest from a lot of people for former introductions … but at least , usually, we can understand that the well being of the whole community is not aimed at but some special interest of the envato company … in this case, even only considering envato interests, this is really incredibly weird to say teh least… let’s face it, most of the items being best sellers are owned by elite authors … correct me if i am wrong but the concerned authors are no longer taken fees from their items , as for i know . In a nutshell, this a genius strategy, in other words … lol the company is going to favor items which do not bring them any money … lol

3 Likes

let’s face it , exposure from new items has been decreased over the years and we more and more have to advertise by ourselves, in other words to do it all by ourselves … but fees are not going down to say the least (still so very huge and now increased if sales were made in usa)

2 Likes

I really struggle to find the motivation behind this experiment. At AJ we have been working hard to come up with healthy experiments that actually could help the market evolve and make it more customer friendly in terms of finding new quality items. So far we have been met with radio silence from another world.

This experiment seems to be a time travel back in time. Is it only meant to calm down unhappy best selling authors who are suffering from the Elements banners? An advertising banner which they are literally paying for themselves with lost sales?

If Envato have ambitions for an interesting and evolving market, how can these moves help in the long run?

Looking forward to your answers, hopefully my questions are unreasonable.

Thanks!

6 Likes

I am totally heart broken to see such experiments, if this stays like this then new authors like me who is working on a theme for the past 2 years won’t get exposure as a new theme in the market. In corporate section on the top is “mf” theme, believe me that theme has no level at all, the design is not that good too. This experiment of yours will kill new author’s hopes. Please revert it back to the way it was :frowning: I am worried because some authors above are mentioned it happened before and it didn’t worked out in their favour. sometimes i feel like envato is heavily favouring elite authors.

6 Likes

I request the Envato authorities to cancel this experiment. It seems more like a bug or an error rather than an actual experiment. I could not figure out why this kind of experiment is needed, why try to fix something if its not broken. What is the point, I really don’t understand. New authors are suffering for this.

8 Likes

What we can say…

Next time Envato should hire someone to do research first. After learning from research try some limited experiment on a limited number of visitors…but Envato maybe does not have enough resources to do it properly recently.

Those, spread across all marketplaces, live experiments with the goal to learn ( wtf :slight_smile: ), while riding at backs of authors are…just funny.

5 Likes

Why are you trying to kill new items? Most of new items are already offering very low price for the initial purchases, even I could see a power elite author offers $15 price for an woocommerce theme this week. Your new update will force all new themes offer very low price sale, not good for the effort of developers. Please be serious for this experiment.
Why don’t you try to hear from authors before doing this experiment?

12 Likes

let’s face it, the current system was as equalitarian as it could be, so to speak … simple, u submit , u get approved , u get exposure … all from newbies to pioneers were as much as possible given teh same chances in a way and on an equal footing (though we know this is not always completely true … as u have some full tim marketplace and runners and people who are not as this kind of issues making a bit of difference, but this is fine in the end …). Unlike what is happening here where this is oriented choices to favor some people over some others, without making sure that this is what customers expect for , in addition …
u do not understand i think that big million dollar companies are all doing teh same anyways, they run things by themselves (without asking any of the concerned peopel who are impacted) and for themselves, according to their own interest … as for me all this is a way to push people into using these infamous automated services and this is why the minimalistic is being pushed in all cases, because they want to make potential customers get used to this kind of flat and uncreative things so that they can sell their atuomated services to serve shareholders and investors rather designers

3 Likes

When will this experiment end?

5 Likes

I hope this will end soon buddy :disappointed_relieved:

4 Likes

Any news about the end of this experiment?

6 Likes

Currently Themeforest has a category show of best-selling items. I think is it necessary to default on other pages that also have to display new products? This will kill new items. New items have new design trends, new technologies but not focused will affect the general trend of customer selection. I don’t think this is a good change for Themeforest.
Themeforest, you guys are working as designers as we are lost and losing emotions and motivation to create new products.

13 Likes

Absolutely agreed with all authors, this will kill competition. I think it will increase Envato revenues a little, but in long run it will be a very bad thing, as a competition is the main reason to implement latest methodologies and technologies to end products and take it up to date.

Hello communism :slight_smile:

4 Likes