Broadcast license misadventure

Finland is tiny!

:open_mouth:

So, finally got an answer from support:

"Hi Pierre,

Iā€™ve discussed this with the relevant team. They have confirmed that ā€œthe maximum number of people the Broadcast has the potential to reachā€ is the appropriate test to apply in selecting a license. This means, if you are broadcasting to a potential reach of 10 million people then you will need the 10 million license, even if less than 1 million viewers ultimately watch the broadcast."

From this, I take it my interpretation was indeed correct.

It sure seems like many buyers do not understand the terms as they were meant to be. As a result, weā€™re missing out on a lot of money (collectively, of course). Thatā€™s not right! The broadcast licenses are already ridiculously low as it is, we donā€™t need to get exploited some more.

Anyway, as for my problem at hand, if anyone has any advice on how to go about it, Iā€™m still interested!

Cheers!

2 Likes

I think that you were answered absolutely correctly, if this is YouTube channel, then potential viewers are subscribers + - a couple of thousand people, and if a large company (web site) then the flow of customers should be appropriate for them.

I wonder if it would be better to have a single priced broadcast licence that is priced higher than the current minimum level and maybe a bit less than the current maximum? This would avoid any confusion about what the licence covers and I reckon would probably result in more total income for both authors and Evanto.

Actually, this only applies to broadcast use (TV), for most internet use there is no audience limit, as the standard license covers it all.

Maybe a single broadcast license would indeed prevent any confusion, but the current license are already way too low. The top broadcast license should be priced at least ten times the amount it currently is. I donā€™t see what we would gain by lowering it some more.

Iā€™m not sure whether the licence is that under priced and if thereā€™d be any sales if it was in the Ā£1,000+ region!. Thereā€™s a difference between what youā€™d expect to pay for custom made track for your exclusive use in a broadcast and what youā€™d be prepared to pay for an ā€˜off-the-shelfā€™ stock track that lots of other people can buy and use too. Iā€™ve also noticed that some of AudioJungleā€™s rivals charge even less for broadcast licencesā€¦

Youā€™re right, custom made and stock is not the same. But on the other hand, who needs custom made tracks nowadays when you have so many tracks to choose from, readily available off the shelf. For many genre, there will be (there is) no point in having custom made music.

In any case, I donā€™t think charging $1 000, even for stock music, is abusive when weā€™re talking about major TV networks.

And here not. The standard license does not provide for a broadcaster audience (in particular, advertising of large campaigns (their websites), TV advertising and radio advertising)

You are mistaken, Iā€™m afraid. Ad campaigns on the internet do not require a broadcast license, the standard license will do, even for large campaigns.

Iā€™m all for charging $1,000 if broadcasters would pay this for tracks from AJ! But Iā€™m pretty sure they wouldnā€™t. I guess itā€™s a payoff between sales volume and price. AJ offers potential high volume sales (thatā€™s what keeps us all trying!) but not a high priceā€¦

I think that Iā€™m not mistaken.

Iā€™m sorry, I donā€™t understand your point. As you can see on that picture, just above your circle, most web use are covered by the standard license.

There are few such companies, their ads mostly go through all tv and radio. Do you think only Youtube and Vimeo are the source of advertising?

Again, Iā€™m not sure I follow you. You mean that there are platforms on the internet, other than Youtube and Vimeo, that would fall under the broadcast requirements? Could you give me an example? I donā€™t see what conditions would have to be met to require a broadcast license for an online use.

Nothing to do with the Internet, Iā€™m talking about the local TV and radio broadcasting.

Oh, ok, then Iā€™ve misunderstood what you were saying from the start. Looks like we agree then :slight_smile:

1 Like

:wink:

I think we would benefit if the standard licenses were quantity driven and the higher licenses were looking for quality buyers (major networks).

But maybe it wouldnā€™t work, canā€™t say Iā€™m an expert in pricing. I know for sure it wonā€™t happen though. Envato doesnā€™t seem to be willing to review their music licenses, how messy though they may be.

Iā€™d say Netflix would qualify.