Best place in world to live for musician

Hi folks! If you would make a lot of money, how do you think were is beter place to live for growing up in making music (colaboration, comunication with interesting and creative people in real life etc)? in Europe? USA? Or maybe in Australia?

Europe!

But North Pole would be a place where you would not have any concurrence :smiley:

usa

New York… :slight_smile:

For opportunities (but also competition): Los Angeles, Nashville, New York, London.

I think it’s generally accepted that Los Angeles is the Music and Entertainment capitol of the world. I have a friend who moved there 2 or 3 years ago and he’s had modest success playing guitar in a few bands. That being said, I personally wouldn’t WANT to live there, because that city can be a pretty big headache sometimes, but if you are looking to reach the highest peaks of musical success, it’s not a bad place to be. Half that city is trying to get famous. Austin has a nice music scene.

As far as making music and collaborating with people - I believe you can find people to work with anywhere, because music is something people are passionate about.

Yes, a lot can be said about LA, but if you have talent, you will get work. I have lived there myself for a few years, and while not the nicest city, there are so many wannabe singers/rockstars with a lot of $$$ who are willing to pay you for rehearsals and gigs.

But nowadays, if you aren’t looking to be a studio musician or hired for live gigs, I believe anywhere could work. If you’re in a band writing good original music, with enough work and PROMOTION, you don’t have to be in LA anymore, especially since the big record labels don’t rule the way they used to.

If you want to make a lot of money, that must be place with lot of people, so China and India are best I think :slight_smile:

The question is not about making money. For example, just to meet people and catch somekind of “chemistry” happening in creating something interesting, experimenting. Stepping on something unknown. Just kinda art questions.

I unsdestand, that best way to find answer to this question is to try as many as possible places in personal experiense. But really interestng to learn people’s stories.

Hey, but what about San-Francisco or Seattle? And don’t forget about London! )

If you’re wanting to be a gigging musician and all you want is quick money for doing covers, financial hubs like dubai and shanghai is where to go. I had a buddy playing sax in both these places and he was raking in thousands a month and they even paid his plane tickets, hotel and food expenses.

If it’s developing your career then certain cities are definitely key. If you’re into film scoring then LA is a must, but New York and London also have their perks. If you’re into being in a band or pop music then Seattle is a nice place, London has a great live scene and Stockholm (I’ve heard) is also a place where lots of execs spy for new sounds (look at how many successful Swedish producers there are right now). If you want to play Jazz, you have to be in New York. If you’re into country Nashville is the place to be… the list goes on depending on what you want to be/do!

Sergei_Kurek said

The question is not about making money. For example, just to meet people and catch somekind of “chemistry” happening in creating something interesting, experimenting. Stepping on something unknown. Just kinda art questions.

I unsdestand, that best way to find answer to this question is to try as many as possible places in personal experiense. But really interestng to learn people’s stories.

More people - more opinions - more communication - more experiments - more listeners = China :slight_smile: And, most important, more target auditory, that stimulated all

USA and Europe are good, they strong with their musical traditions, but. you know, real experimetns are situated in new territories, where talent would be demanded and stimulated. Thats why I seriously thinking that China is best at all new things. It have great development potentials, and opens for somethnig new, it’s good time for all when such a big country in development stage. USA and Europe are stable now and that’s not so good for new and interesting things.

The best place to live - where is your home. If you make a lot of money you could travel and live in different places (as guest) but always come back home

AlexanderRufire said

If you want to make a lot of money, that must be place with lot of people, so China and India are best I think :slight_smile:

Lol. 1/3 of the world’s population right there.

Alex_rich said

The best place to live - where is your home. If you make a lot of money you could travel and live in different places (as guest) but always come back home

+1 So true man!

Gigs in all big city in the world and stay in Bali island, beach, love and rock n’ roll …lol

I was in Seattle trying to get into the music scene some years after the whole grunge thing exploded, and to tell you the truth it was kind of a bust at the time. It seemed like it was moving away from fostering the artistic mindset and into a sleeker, more technological community. I’m not saying my band was the greatest thing since sliced bread (we weren’t), but it seemed like a lot of venues, especially ones that allowed an under 21 crowd, were closing down and there simply weren’t that many places to play. Not to date myself, but this was around 2000 or so, so maybe things have changed.

Portland, about 3 hours south, on the other hand is a lot smaller but IMO has a more vibrant musical and artistic community. Seems like there’s a greater percentage of people here who do something creative, if not for a living as a side business or hobby. For that matter, Eugene, another hour south, also has that feel (almost to a fault).

Just my experience. As was stated before, these days you don’t even need to leave the house to collaborate with great musicians all over the world.

With technology at the tipping point where real collaboration can thrive, as long as I am intentionally creating community, have access to the technology, and care for other peoples interests above my own; I would have to say Earth.

Here, my definitive answer:

Best place in world to live for musician = INTERNET !

Australia!!!