Amazing advice from a fantastic composer.

About a year ago, a Music / Film professor (a tv/film professional) of mine told my class a story at the end of the semester, and it has really stuck with me and inspired me since. I’m going to share it and hopefully it can help or inspire some of you other musicians out there. I’m paraphrasing here:

When in his 20’s, my professor used to gig in a city that was over a mountain from where he lived. He only drove over it at night, and never got to see what lay on either side. He just drove night after night, into the darkness, oblivious to what the view was from atop the mountain.

One night, on his ride back across the top, there ended up being a thunderstorm. Lightning, in random, struck all around him throughout his drive, and for the first time in his life, he was able to see miles and miles of land around him-but only for milliseconds at a time. It was wild to him, seeing the vast views that he had never gotten to appreciate before, having been surrounded by the night all this time.

He wrapped up the story with this: Songwriting, in many ways, is like driving over that mountain at night. The song is out there. You just can’t see it yet. Those lightning bolts are bursts of inspiration (which I’m sure we are all familiar with) where we play a chord, or even a single note, hear a certain guitar tone, or feel a certain punch from a kick drum, and for just MILLISECONDS, the entire song flashes to us in our heads. He said that becoming a good composer / songwriter is about learning to hold on to those flashes for longer, and turn them into the song you heard in your head for just that brief moment. The more you stick to your initial inspiration and finish your songs, the easier it will become for you to follow through with your lightning bolts in the future.

This story really struck me. I had been searching for a way to understand my writing process for years. Those seemingly intangible “flashes” I got became much less intimidating, and I was able to comprehend them on a much better scale - as if now, I simply had to reach out and grab the flash in order to keep it. It was as though someone turned on the lights in my brain. I’m not sure about the rest of you, but this story has helped me immensely.

Audio Jungle, as well as its remarkable community, continue to inspire me and help me grow as a writer, as a mix engineer, as a businessman, and as a person. I am forever grateful for this outlet for all my lightning bolts and flashes.

Your turn! Any anecdotes, advice, or musical (mis)adventures you wish to share that could keep us all informed or inspired?

-Will @ Elevate Audio

14 Likes

Nicr story brother. Nice day.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing @ElevateAudio!

1 Like

Great story @ElevateAudio!

Once I heard a wisdom: when you feel that your music sounds perfect at all and nothing needed to do with, then it means that your whole musician’s path is ended :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice story!!!

When I started to compose music for audiojungle, I have not got big experience in music)
But audiojungle so inspired me, that I decided to leave my medical university.
My mom was in shock!
Her friend said, that there is good fortune-teller in our town (so nonsense hahaha)
My mom visited her and she said, that I will not be musician, that I should be a doctor)

After 3-4 years I still make music hahahah
May be I will not musician in future, but this years was really cool for me hahaha

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing that story Infraction. I’d say that making music was a good decision for you! You are clearly good at it. :wink:

1 Like

Hi Will,

thank you for sharing this beautiful story.

I started seeing these ‘flashes’ long ago…they seemed to have a clear preference for those moments where I litteraly had NO TIME to make a brief note (while I was driving, brushing my teeth, playing on stage, attending a chemistry class or doing an exam at the university).

Is it different now? No, it isn’t but i’ve got myself a smartphone and I can easily whistle in it and keep track of my inspiration. :smiley:

Now, seriously: I agree with you…the more we practice the more we learn how to recognize the inspiration (when it arrives) and keep it. I also find that listening to previous work/sketches or working on a template is an enjoyable practice that feeds my inspiration.

Cheers

1 Like

I hope hahaha
Thank you :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing Magic. I totally agree with the template idea. Creating custom templates and working frequently to make them more and more inspiring has done wonders for creating and keeping the “flashes.”

1 Like