Advice for using theme with Wordpress

I see a nice theme on ThemeForest.net (specifically, the Lake Resort theme at https://themeforest.net/item/lake-resort-resort-and-hotel-wordpress-theme/19322026) It seems attractive, and could handle what I would like.

I’m quite familiar with standing up Wordpress sites, and admin’ing them on my own server. But before I go spending a bunch of time (and a couple bucks), I want to know what I’m getting:

1. The template claims to be a Wordpress template. Is it as simple as importing it as a theme?

2. How do you edit the site? I know about using the Wordpress editing system, but this template talks about “Visual Composer” - is that included? (And what does it do?)

3. It claims to have complete documentation. Is this true?

4. What else should I know?

Many thanks!

The template claims to be a Wordpress template. Is it as simple as importing it as a theme?

More or less - you have to have your own domain and hosting and have to import the theme and any demo content to get it looking like the demo. Note: The images are not included

How do you edit the site? I know about using the Wordpress editing system, but this template talks about “Visual Composer” - is that included? (And what does it do?)

Visual composer is a highly advanced page builder. It is included but you do;nt get your own license so it will work as it should but you can;t access auto updates. These come via the author.

It claims to have complete documentation. Is this true?

Yes but the documentation will cover the basics esp unique features but not a hand holding manual on customizing the theme - there’s an assumed level of technical understanding to use a theme and as it’s a very advanced theme with a lot of features so it would take forever to list it all out.

What else should I know?

If you have theme specific questions it’s best asked to the author

1 Like

Thanks for the extremely helpful reply. I’ve been designing web pages etc. for a decade (mostly, the hard way) Consequently, I’m new to this ecosystem of tools, so wanted to get a sense of where I’m going to wind up spending my time.

I especially appreciate that you included links to relevant stuff (Visual Composer, the author’s site), so I could follow up on my own. Thanks again!

Here’s a free theme https://themeforest.net/item/ecobox-responsive-wordpress-theme/8160756 it doesn’t use VC and it’s not anywhere close to as advanced or complex as the one you are looking at but it gives you an idea of what you will get.

Each theme is unique and don’t hold back asking the author in advance any questions which you have - it’s in both parties interest

Thanks for the good hint. I had trouble installing it (but figured it out).

Since this seems like a caring community, I posted a note with info that could have helped me suss it out faster at Improve troubleshooting instructions for "missing style.css" message

Thanks again!