30% withholding tax on NON-US sales?

Yesterday I had my first sale in this year. The item price is 21, but on author dashboard it says only 10.5 but I got only 5.80

Now, this is a result of 30% withholding rate for us sales, but, the user that purchased my item is from Germany, so why the f*** was I charged 30% when it clearly says on envato “on us sales only”?

Looking for someone from envato staff to answer this ASAP.
Cheers!

If you do not complete the tax form in your tax information settings page, you will be considered a US author by default and 30% withholding rate will be applied to all sales.

This has been covered on numerous threads and warnings were given several times, so ensure you have completed the form even if you are from a country that does not have a tax treaty with the US :rabbit:

I have submited the w8 form today.
Will the withholding tax be refunded to my balance or not?

Thank you for your replay.

As of now it appears not. Others have asked this as well and not gotten a response so far. At this point, you might as well try and find out, can’t get any worse :+1:

The Envato Tax FAQ says no!
Q: What happens if I don’t complete my tax info until after withholding starts?
A: Any amounts withheld prior to receiving your tax information will be sent to the IRS.

You can try to reclaim it in 2017 when you do your 2016 tax return in your country. Envato send you in March 2017 a copy of the Form 1042-S, that is a summary of taxes you have paid to the US-IRS. On how to use this form for reclaim it’s better to ask a tax advisor for your country.

1 Like

same thing happened with me bro :disappointed:
my app approved yesterday and today i got 3 sales :disappointed:
but due to U.S tax i got 15$ instead 30$ wich is great lose

This is why you have to read the terms properly before creating an account and fill in all necessary tax forms. Cheers guys! :slight_smile:

Cheers :clap:

1 Like