The AJ Community Guide #2 - Performing Rights Organisation Royalties (PRO)

Thank you for sharing your knowledge!

About year ago one of my items was bought with broadcast license. I quickly registered it in bmi and uploaded to tunesat. It found a lot of detections. One well known brand used it in commercials on major tv channels in Germany, Italy, Romania and Slovakia (and maybe in other countries - i’m not sure - free tunesat period exceeded).

Can I still make claim? Bmi collects international royalties 2 years after the air. And is Numerator still free for composers?

Thanks in advance!

2 Years Old Topic

Thx! :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Sounds like nice royalties!!

Sure you can.

Yep, but now it does not cover countries other than US.

Hi, Thanks for these posts!
I would like to register my AJ content with ASCAP. But I also write and perform my own songs, which I want to distribute on local radio stations and TV in Poland. It would be logical to register my songs in Zaiks.
Can I register different content in different PROs in this case? If so, should I indicate different names in the “author” field when registering. For example, as the author of AJ in ASCAP - Nickname / as the author of my songs in Zaiks - My Name?
I would be grateful for any information.
Thanks!

Sure you can.

Btw I would think of SongTrust instead of Ascap now.

You can PM me, I am from Poland too and have music in Zaiks.

Did you mean SongTrust?

Do you have good experiences with them? I have read so many bad stories I don’t know what to believe. Most importantly, do you think being with them has actually resulted in more royalties finding the right place?

Yep, I’ve edited it.

I am not registered with them. But I heard good enough stories. What bad stories have you heard?

BTW: American PROs does not collect mechanicals, European collect, SongTrust collects. That’s high enough amount to take care of it.

What kind of mechanical royalties could apply to us?

Very hard question xD Don’t know exactly, very vague area.

However my Polish ZAIKS collects them. Circa 3 to 4 digits / per year in my case. I just have realized that ASCAP does not collect it so I gave ZAIKS 100% mechanical rights.

This is something SongTrust can collect and US PRO can’t. Songtrust can make it retroactively. So making SongTrust a publisher isn’t a bad idea for those who are registered in BMI/ASCAM/SECAM.

2 Likes

Is it hard to register in PRO?

No.